PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Squats?

shortguy
02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I just tried squats starting at the bottom of the movement right around parallel and pausing each rep back in the hole on the pins. I have heard these called anderson squats no idea if this is accurate but i was wondering what the corillation between these to regular squats are. Whats the general idea on them do they help or are they a waste of time.

Brian Hopper
02-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I have never done them, but I think they would help you coming out of the hole, almost like a box squat.

SELK
02-15-2009, 04:52 PM
They can help depending on where you are weak. Ive done them them 3-4 inches above parallel, for max 1-3reps. For me they have really helped my squat top end as well as getting used to heavier weights (ive done 800 x 2 from this position).

But, they dont seem to carryover near as well as reverse band squats which serve much of the same purpose i think.

Brad08
02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
It can be very difficult to match your normal squat groove. That can effect any transfer they might have to your normal squat. I'd suggest you try to keep your 'bottom up' form as close as possible to your normal form.

Will they help? Probably depends on your level of advancement and ability to do them properly. Surely getting stronger in a difficult movement like 'bottom up' squats can only help.

BigTallOx
02-16-2009, 03:38 AM
I do something similar, but with the safety squat bar. But I believe it's helped my deadlift more than my squat. It's definitely a core builder.

waynedang
02-16-2009, 05:17 AM
I know Gus Rethwisch (SP) tells people to do these for the DL. A few lifters I know say they really help the pull. They call them rack squats.

bigdayday
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
If your going to do these types of squats, there alot easier to get under and set-up if you suspend the bar from chains. Instead of off the pins. These are just another variation of the squat, good for ME work. They would be called Anderson squats, from Paul Anderson. As far as the corillation to the squat, you will have to find out for yourself not everyone gets the same results from the same lifts. Ever hear of lifts that test strength and lifts that build strength? There not always the same for everyone.

Sensei
02-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Concentric squats don't correlate well to my regular squatting numbers. It will vary for everyone. I have not done them consistently in training, but I just never felt they would add a whole lot to my regular squatting personally.