Im currently following a westside template
mon-ME lower
tue-off
wed-ME upper
thur-off
fri-DE lower
sat-off
sun-DE upper

I really dont look forward to De effort days becuase they bore me. So ive been thinking about switching De days to rep days occasionaly. Is this ok and how exactly do rep days work?

Also on my current De days im not doing any waves for the main exercises. so im not doing 40% week 1 and then working my way up to 60% by week 3-4(just an example). what i am doing is on DE day is just taking a weight i feel comfortable moving fast every week. is this ok? Thanks

vdizenzo
02-16-2009, 11:26 AM
How long were you on the original WS?

slashkills
02-16-2009, 04:20 PM
about three weeks

joey54
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Are you training in gear?

slashkills
02-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Nope, no gear. im following the routine above but doing the DE lifts bore me. So i wanted to know if i could replace that with rep work occasionally. I also want know if i do DE work if i will be ok with out doing waves.Thanks a ton for any help

Sean S
02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
How are you going to know if the program works if you start making big changes 3 weeks in? I used a basic Westside template when I started powerlifing and it worked very well, but we basically did the template exactly as listed. If the DE work is boring, how about actually doing the 3-week wave and try to maintain the same speed as the week before, but with a heavier weight.
There are plenty of other programs that work well such as 5/3/1 or some of the templates Matt Rhodes has in his articles. If you are a relatively inexperienced lifter, my advice is to pick something and stay with it for a while (several months to a year at least). You will never know what is working if you are constantly changing programs or making huge modifications. For those that are more experienced, they can tinker more because they've been through the ringer and know what works for them.

joey54
02-16-2009, 05:22 PM
How are you going to know if the program works if you start making big changes 3 weeks in? I used a basic Westside template when I started powerlifing and it worked very well, but we basically did the template exactly as listed. If the DE work is boring, how about actually doing the 3-week wave and try to maintain the same speed as the week before, but with a heavier weight.
There are plenty of other programs that work well such as 5/3/1 or some of the templates Matt Rhodes has in his articles. If you are a relatively inexperienced lifter, my advice is to pick something and stay with it for a while (several months to a year at least). You will never know what is working if you are constantly changing programs or making huge modifications. For those that are more experienced, they can tinker more because they've been through the ringer and know what works for them.

I too was thinking 5/3/1 if no gear was involved. If you want to keep it Westside, follow the template for a bit more time than 3 weeks.

KarstenDD
02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
about three weeks

So you just started a new program and you already want to change it? No. Do not change it.

Jonah
02-16-2009, 06:41 PM
If you change it now you will want to change it again, and again, and again. Guaranteed!

bigdayday
02-16-2009, 08:19 PM
3 weeks is not long enough to tell if a program is going to work. Because you haven't done it long enough to tell if it is working. How is the dynamic work boring? Are you box squatting on DE lower day, like westside? Are you using bands and chains like you are suppose to? Are you rotating the exersies/ bars on your dynamic days? Oh I forgot you have only done it for 3 weeks. If done propely it's only 1 wave of 50%,55%,60%. Did you work up on the box squat after the dynamic sets? Since they are so boring, to see how easy it is to blast up some heavy weights after your dynamic work? True dynamic work is not easy and is very taxing when done properly. I personally don't see how it can be boring when trying to exert maximal force against the bar set after set, with only 45-60 sec rests. Thats more work in 10 mins than most people do there whole workout.