PDA

View Full Version : Squat Vids For a Laugh and For Help!

huskybear
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Alright... finally nutted up and got some video...

today was 3x5 (75-80-85%) for the 5/3/1 program I've been using.

I struggle with the squats these days and I'm not sure what to do... I'm up I'm down, no pun intended!

Please help me with advice on improving... I think the angle was crap too, but that's the cost of training alone!

Hwkgn4K_EHc

mFAlI1BuWcE

oijk69whOwc

fpr
02-16-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm no expert at squatting, but a few things I noticed right off the bat based off of the last two vids (first one wasn't greatest view):

1. You're high
2. Knees look like they are probably crossing past the toes
3. Your entire upper body seems to be leaning forward as you come descend
4. You seem to be swaying as you go down and come back up

I think you'll be able to fix a couple of these by trying to "sit back" more.

Some of the more experienced guys will be able to tell you about your form with no question.

Good luck.

Ben Moore
02-16-2009, 10:16 PM
You're not that high. Get yourself set before you begin the rep. Big breath, push out your abs and set everything tight. As you descend, sit back like FPR told you. Push your knees out and return to start. Get some vid from the front next time and we'll be able to tell you a little more.

foth
02-17-2009, 01:38 AM
You're not that high. Get yourself set before you begin the rep. Big breath, push out your abs and set everything tight. As you descend, sit back like FPR told you. Push your knees out and return to start. Get some vid from the front next time and we'll be able to tell you a little more.

what do you mean push out your abs?

Ben Moore
02-17-2009, 08:27 AM
It's more of a feeling than anything and hard to explain, but instead of getting a big chest full of air, fill your belly with air and push out your stomach. It tightens your core and makes you more stable.

RAT
02-17-2009, 09:05 AM
take a big breath and tightin ur abs and look up it helps to keep chest out

huskybear
02-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks alot guys!
:thumbup:
I totally sway and lean forward, and feel like I'm doing a goodmorning... it's one of the biggest problems for me....

the biggest problem is depth... I feel like I'm getting lower but from the video I'm looking at probably another 3" lower at least...

The sitting back and pushing the knees out... as you can see I struggle with this... any tips would be great for fixing these...

I'll get the belly of air together, and try looking up a bit to keep my chest out too!!

Anything else anyone?

Notorious
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
what do you mean push out your abs?

Take a big breath and try to forcefully exhale, but keep your mouth closed. You won't actually exhale but your abs will tighten up like crazy.

ZenMonkey
02-17-2009, 06:53 PM
2. Knees look like they are probably crossing past the toes

Whats wrong with that?

fpr
02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Whats wrong with that?

From my understanding, knees passing the toes excessively increases the strain on the joint.

And I can attest to that, because I believe this is how I injured myself a while back.

Ben Moore
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
From my understanding, knees passing the toes excessively increases the strain on the joint.

And I can attest to that, because I believe this is how I injured myself a while back.

that's a pretty broad statement. It really depends on the type of squatting. Olympic lifters regularly squat with the knees past the toes which is where our friend ZM comes in...:hello:

fpr
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
that's a pretty broad statement. It really depends on the type of squatting. Olympic lifters regularly squat with the knees past the toes which is where our friend ZM comes in...:hello:

Ok -- perhaps my injury was more due to the fact that I was bending at the knees instead of the hips. :clown:

Aslin
02-18-2009, 08:31 AM
i just want to say your gym looks amazing.