PDA

View Full Version : strange water phenomenon

Azn Sensation
04-13-2001, 11:10 AM
hey guys,
I've been into weight training for about 3 years now. I've made pretty good progress. When I first began, went from 220 to 125 .. yeah, big ass to a twig..
Rite now im 5'8 bout 140 or so.. lookin to kinda cut and tone up a little. .. my loose skin ****es me off cause it looks like fat and jiggles like it too !!
NEwayz, ill get to the quesiton.. Okay.. this has always been a weird thing with me. Everytime I increase my water intake in my diet, I tend to gain a lot more wieght in a short period of time!!. The weight will increase by maybe 3-5 pounds in 1/2 a week or so.. I hardly drink 2-4 liters like I used to anymore. I know water is essential for our bodies. And it makes sense that the more water youdrink, the less you retain.
But for some reason, I keep retaining water no matter what. I know my sodium levels aren't high. My kidneys also function well and my doctor doesnt really know why either. Sometimes I get cases of edema(swelling) in my legs do to the excess water.
I dont think anything is wrong with my diet either. I keep track of what I eat everyday. Its pretty healthy, I eat a lot of veggies, lean meats, fruits sometimes..
Total intake is about 2000 calories or so, with 160 grams protein, 300 carbs, .. the rest fat...
If anyone could help me I'd appreciate this alot.

Spiderman
04-13-2001, 11:35 AM
I"m not sure what to say man..but I just calculated your caloric totals, and if you're only gettin 2000 calories a day with those ratios...your fat intake is to low. It comes to be 18 grams. I'm thinking you should increase that bro. Heres what I found on Edema....

Unless enough protein is eaten, the concentrations of proteins eventually decreases in the bloodstream. Excessive fluid then builds up in the tissues and because the counteracting force produced by the smaller amount of blood proteins is too weak to pull much of the fluid back from the tissues into the bloodstream. As fluids pool in the tissues, the tissues swell. Clinical edemaresults. Because edema sometimes leads to serious medical problems, the cause must be identified. An important step in diagnosing the cause is to measure the concentration of blood proteins. (Wardlaw 185)
Information courtesy of Contemporary Nutrition: Issues and Insights Gordon M. Wardlaw

Azn Sensation
04-15-2001, 08:22 AM
thanks for the reply man,
I dont think the lack of protein in my diet is the problem though. Im booked an appointment with my doctor and am going to check out the problem again.

Yaz
04-16-2001, 05:56 AM
I swell a bit during the day. I drink 1.5-2 gallons of water, eat as low sodium as I can (1500-2000mg)... and still I bloat up considerably. In the morning I am flat on the stomach. But during the day, forgetaboutit.