PDA

View Full Version : Preparation phase of DL - Question

fpr
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
By having the bar out at the balls of my feet, rolling it towards me before I begin my pull, just asking for an injury to occur?

Or do I just start with the bar straight up against my shins?

Ben Moore
02-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Why roll it toward you?

fpr
02-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Not sure, for some reason I feel like I've seen a rippetoe video that said to keep it at the balls of the feet (not sure it said much about rolling) or I may have seen a few videos of people doing it... maybe something to do with momentum... haha

Anyhow -- is that a "don't do it" response? :ninja:

Ben Moore
02-17-2009, 09:58 PM
No, it's not a don't do it response, but most of the guys you see rolling the bar do it to get in a better position due to gear or a big gut.

fpr
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey -- since you're on now checking this. I have slightly over a year of lifting experience... do you think the "Westside barbell book of methods" would be a good investment or is it for more advanced lifters?

Ben Moore
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey -- since you're on now checking this. I have slightly over a year of lifting experience... do you think the "Westside barbell book of methods" would be a good investment or is it for more advanced lifters?

From what I've heard you could google all of Louie's articles and get the same thing (sorry Travis, ;)).

SGT ROCK
02-17-2009, 10:05 PM
I heard good things about the book or you can Google Louies articles and read them all if you want to save money, you will find most of Louies articles online and you will learn a great deal.

DONT roll the bar towards you on the pull. Start the pull with the bar motionless.

Semper Fi

fpr
02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I'll make sure not to do it anymore.

Ok -- I just ordered the book, Travis, have Louie throw in a free t-shirt? ;)

Kiknskreem
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Not sure, for some reason I feel like I've seen a rippetoe video that said to keep it at the balls of the feet (not sure it said much about rolling) or I may have seen a few videos of people doing it... maybe something to do with momentum... haha

Rippetoe definitely does not advocate having the bar over the ball of the foot.

The correct starting position for a deadlift has the bar over the mid foot, against the leg, and below the scapulae, this is the most efficient position from which to pull.