PDA

View Full Version : 1st time benching in a power rack

Andre518
02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Today was the 1st time I tried to use a power rack for bench press due to the fact that I no longer have a partner to work out with. When I placed the safety pin into one of the settings it was about and inch or two too low and the bar would sit right on my chest. So I moved the pin up to the next notch and the bar would be about 1.5-2 in above my chest. I was wondering will using the power rack and coming 1.5- in from chest and back up hamper my strength at all or is this the way a power rack when benching is suppose to be?

Brad08
02-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Most people set the safeties so it's below their chest but above their throat so that if you dump the bar, it may hit your chest but it won't crush your face/throat.

Reko
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
This:

Most people set the safeties so it's below their chest but above their throat so that if you dump the bar, it may hit your chest but it won't crush your face/throat.

If it is just low enough you can still get your chest you can then press without worrying about crushing your throat in the event of a dump. Your only other real alternative without spotters is to not use collars and then dump the weights if need be, but that should be a last ditch effort.

the pins were (should be) made to catch bars for this very reason.

ELmx479
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM

That is exactly how I have mine. If I move it up to the next setting the bar does not touch my chest.

dirtyd
02-18-2009, 10:43 AM
When I placed the safety pin into one of the settings it was about and inch or two too low and the bar would sit right on my chest.

Wrap a towel around the pins or use the foam thing that pads the neck on squats w/ or w/out a towel around it. Should give you an inch or so no problem.

Illinimeats
02-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I workout by myself in a power-rack. My saftey bars are set, just below my chest. Basically, the saftey bars will catch the bar after I exhale and it gives me just enough room to slip out. When I'm in my arch the saftey bars are not an issue, and believe me I have to use them constantly.

Illinimeats

ehubbard
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Arch more

SELK
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
i had the same problem, found some black rubber flooring thats about 3/4 inch thick and put that under the bench, then used the higher pin.

Detard
02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Put it on the lower one. When you need to dump, let it fall to your stomach or neck (the safeties should catch it there).

KarstenDD
02-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Don't miss weights.

Detard
02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Gain weight so you are big enough to use the higher setting.

Brian C
02-18-2009, 04:54 PM
i had the same problem, found some black rubber flooring thats about 3/4 inch thick and put that under the bench, then used the higher pin.

This is what I suggest also. Find. A piece of thick flooring or hard rubber to boost up your bench. I've even seen guys use 45s to prop up the bench, but only if it lays sturdy and it doesn't lift your feet to far off the floor.

Scooter
02-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Arch more

This worked for me. The more arch you have the more space you have to retract if needed.

Andre518
02-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Gain weight so you are big enough to use the higher setting.

LOL right now im 270lbs trying to get down to the 242lbs