PDA

View Full Version : My feelings about powerlifting ( once again )

BigTallOx
02-18-2009, 10:09 PM
It's been 5 days since my meet, and this probably sounds pathetic but I still keep finding myself thinking about the meet and feeling amazingly satisfied deep down inside. I know my total wasn't anything special by any means, but that's not the point. Powerlifting has made me realize that I can push my body to do things that I never though possible and succeed, it's very cool. I'm thankful that I found this site, powerlifting in general, and for all the encouragement and good advice that I've gotten here.

Eric Downey
02-19-2009, 12:29 AM
congrats bro you have been bitten by the iron bug. all you can ask for in this sport is to do better each meet. even its 5 or 10lbs. keep pushing

Illinimeats
02-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Good job Ox; I echo your feelings. I've only been in one meet so far and loved it. And I didn't set any records and entered the meet feeling shy about my lack of strength, but that didn't matter to anyone there and nobody threw rocks at me for not having the 300+ bench and 400+ DL; met some cool people. I have a meet coming up in May, that I am really fired up about. Like you this will be my first full meet and I am working with someone on my deadlift and squat form. The main thing I have discovered that it is more than just bar goes down then up. I never thought about leverage points, hand positioning, etc. Plus I'm amazed about how much the back is involved in each movement. My goal in the future is to not wait for my next attempt and hear the words "unload the bar to..."LOL.

Illinimeats

Athos
02-19-2009, 07:19 AM
I think your feelings are well-justified. That's what I love about this sport, after months of constantly looking for little ways to improve and keeping a monk-like training mindset, you go to the testing grounds (competition) to find out the truth about how well you have really trained and what kind of lifter you really are. The weight doesn't let you b.s. yourself, if you haven't done the work, it will show. But if you have paid your dues, putting up a new PR gives a feeling like nothing else in the world. As long as you keep chasing those extra pounds, it will never lose its appeal. Congrats on your first meet.

BigBatz
02-19-2009, 08:07 AM
Not pathetic at all. Enjoy ever ounce of satisfaction, you earned it man. The people I live and work with cannot comprehend why I do what I do. One of my friends even calls me sick. That is why I come here. We are all like minded people who sometimes need help getting to the goals we have set for ourselves. I for one have enjoyed following your progress over the few months I've been on here. You have inspired me to do things I never thought I could do. I have even been contimplating doing a meet within the next year(if I can find one close enough). Great job at the meet and keep up the good work.

Reko
02-19-2009, 08:28 AM
PL = Win!
Athos - what part of Missouri are you from?

rbtrout
02-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I've never competed and probably never will. I do like pushing myself and the feeling of accomplishing something that I set my mind to do. I totally agree with joining this site and having all the positive input on helping. It's appreciated here, as well.
Most people that don't understand are typically the ones that go through life with no drive for much of anything.

Brian Hopper
02-19-2009, 05:29 PM
POWERLIFTING IS THE S**T! Same thing with Strongman! There is nothing better. I was telling somebody (bodybuilder) about how I was flipping tires and lifting stones for the first time and they were like why, and I said why not. Some people just dont get it. I love the fact that I can just walk up to a 600+lb tire and flip it. Thats why we do what we do because we can!