PDA

View Full Version : Motivational Text's...

Tom Mutaffis
02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
So my knee has been bothering me a bit this week and I have a big Strongman contest on Saturday, the South Atlantic Strongman Championships which will have 10 other LW competitors from about 4-5 different states.

I was reading some things online last night and came across this quote from Bill Kazmaier, figured it was worth sharing:

"I tend to like the things where I overcame adversity. After tearing off my pectoral in the bar bend, I came back to squat the world record in the World's Strongest Man and beat Dave Waddington who was commonly referred to as having the world's strongest legs. And two hours later, I came back and deadlifted the coins to beat him again. Not only to do it once, but to do it twice because I knew I was the strongest and I had been shot, as if with a 12 gauge in the shoulder, I was still able to come back and overcome that adversity.

You know, in those times when you're in the trenches and your back's against the wall and you are that wounded animal, at that point when things look their worst, how do you react and what energies do you call upon at that moment? For me, the most phenomenal thing I did was to realize where my power comes from and what it is. And if I could channel it and use it for the right things, then I'll have infinite power. I don't know if that makes sense to you."

Does anyone else have any things that they read through before competing?

rbtrout
02-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I've never competed, but way cool read. Good luck this weekend, Tom.

Reko
02-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I would just go back and read your log on the days where you did those events. Just remind yourself that you have done them before and how easy it was to do them to that height/time/reps etc.
It helps to remember that you've done it before and that its no big deal. Kind of takes stress off the situation and calms the nerves I think.

Lones Green
02-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Did anyone else read that text in Kaz's voice in their head? Sounds like something he'd say, haha.

But on a serious note, Dave Tate's under the bar articles are awesome. My favorite is "Where Trials Never End." Its so general you can read it and apply it to anything.

Tom Mutaffis
02-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Another good one from Kaz, same interview:

"When you are one of the athletes and you're in the arena and you smell the breath of the lion and you hear his roar, and you're released from your cage and you can take him on, you then know from the pits just what it is like and who is the strongest. And when you look into his eyes - I looked into Sigmarsson's eyes, and O.D. Wilson's eyes - I saw wild animals. And I can relate and compare myself to those guys. But for somebody to stand as an emperor in the stands and look at these three lions in the pit, he has no way of knowing which one of these three is the best."

Brian Hopper
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Those are pretty motivating! Keep them coming.

Siked
02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Very inspiration quotes, I will definatly be thinking of those on my competition on the 21st. Thanks mate

Also a quote that has kept me going...

Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I do what you can't.