more dumb beginner questions.

do protein shakes work?

do I drink it AFTER the gym?

which brands do you like?

best,

Bob

nockits
02-20-2009, 07:54 AM
shakes do work. your body needs protein to rebuild muscles.
i know some people that take a bit before their workout, and even more afterwards, but its essential to have it after your workout, but dont wait too long!
there are several good brands, go out there and try different ones, see which one you like best.

TDap
02-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi!

more dumb beginner questions.

do protein shakes work?

best,

Bob

Maunus,
Yes, protein shakes do really work. If you take it 20-30 minutes after your workout, you'll see significant results. Your muscles will recover much faster.. The protein I take and definitely recommend is called Amplify XL. It has 45 grams of protein and tastes great. Hope this helps!

kumar1244
02-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Protein shakes really do help build muscle and usually are taken immediately after a workout (within 15 minutes for a protein isolate like I take). different people get different results but I like Isopure whey protein isolate. Good results, good flavor. Stay away from wheat protein

ZenMonkey
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Buy At Large Nutrition products. They are surperior to other brands and the customer service is amazing

berfles
02-21-2009, 06:51 PM
I use Optimum Nutrition. I've always wanted to try Nitrean, but $38 is expensive enough for 5lb much less almost $60 with shipping.

ZenMonkey
02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Is ON a whey/casein mix?

berfles
02-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Not to my knowledge, but ALN doesn't have just a whey protein to compare to if that's what makes it more expensive. Unless they do and I just never noticed.

Phenom
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
There's some great information on supplements in the Supplements section.

Maunus
02-22-2009, 02:20 PM
thank you all!!

I do like EAS myoplex, and will take it after every gym.

thanks again!!

Bob

Steven001
02-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I use Optimum Nutrition. I've always wanted to try Nitrean, but $38 is expensive enough for 5lb much less almost $60 with shipping.

Man, you guys get it easy, it works out at $51.0815 USD in the uk here for a 5lb tub and that's excluding postage.

given'er
02-22-2009, 06:32 PM
most 5lb tubs up here are $60 and up. I am using Myofusion right now and at $65 a tub it's one of the cheapest around. It's aint cheap to look good....lol

vdizenzo
02-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Blended protein is very important. That's why many of us use AtLarge's Nitrean. When comparing protein make sure it's apples to apples.

To answer the question above protein is very important. I can't get nearly enough in food alone considering I close in on 400 grams a day. I have a meal with protein an hour before lifting. I have about 40 grams of carbs and 10 protein during my workout, 100 grams of carbs immediately after my workout and then a 40 gram of protein Nitrean shake. I follow nutrient timing principles. You can find lots of info on the net about it. Your body is a machine. Give it the right fuel.

EvilKokonut
02-22-2009, 08:27 PM
wow you guys are overpaying! i use ON whey from vitamin shoppe... buy locally so you don't have to pay shipping. I price match to the website locally so its like $39 a tub. Then I use whatever coupon I can find... $10 off $50 or 20% off. I have a rewards card so I get gift certificates at the end of the year too. Last time I paid like $29 a tub.

hellagrant
02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
do protein shakes work?

Yes. It has protein and your body needs protein throughout the day.

I drink it several times a day. But yes, you should drink it after the gym. I usually try to get it in my body within 30 minutes after my workout.

Optimum Nutrition is one of my favorite.

bass slayer
02-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Protein shakes are the reason im gaining muscle and not a toothpick anymore. there the only way I can get my calories and protein because im vegitarien.

Like the others said take it after your workouts.

I use wheybolic extreme 60. It packs in 60 grams of protien in one drink and then I take Mass XXX before I go to bed.

BrainDed
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Protein shakes are the reason im gaining muscle and not a toothpick anymore. there the only way I can get my calories and protein because im vegitarien.

Like the others said take it after your workouts.

I use wheybolic extreme 60. It packs in 60 grams of protien in one drink and then I take Mass XXX before I go to bed.

Sorry if this is offensive... but I have to ask.

Why is a Bass Slayer a vegetarian. Just dosnt add up.... If you are slaying a Bass, why not eat it after?

bass slayer
02-26-2009, 01:52 PM
LOL!