PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pulled stomach a muscle DL'ing?

PWR
02-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Last week I was doing my lighter deadlift routine and may have had my belt alittle too tight but I dont know if that had anything to do with it. I was on my last set nothing major heavy but did 405x12 and felt something kinda pull in my stomach on my side up near my ribcage. After the set I realized that it was hurting pretty good and stayed sore for a few days. It felt like it was almost gone so this week I felt strong and planned on going heavy. Well after only 2 reps with 405 it hurt so bad I stopped. Well, this sob is soo damn sore that it feels like I may have seperated a muscle from my ribcage. I sneezed this morning and almost brought me to my knees.

Has anyone ever done this and WTF could it be. I guess I will have to lay off DL for a few weeks or so. I swear I am the most injury prone bastard I know. Bad shoulders, bad elbows and now this stomach **** I cant gain for losing!

TUEFELHUNDEN
02-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Maybe it's a Tuma'

drmobley
02-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Same thing happened to me one time. Belt was a little tight and when I lifted I felt a pang, followed by an intense heat and pain as if someone had shot me. Got back to the clinic, took x-rays no fracture. Best I can tell on myself was a little stretched cartilage, a little torn muscle and an anterior rib displacement. Took me about 1 1/2 weeks to get over it, but workouts were great that comeback week because I was so pissed about taking a week and a half off. If it were me...I would see a good chiropractor and have him check the ribs.

RHarris
02-20-2009, 02:43 PM
If you're doing a lighter DL workout or accessory work, I'd first recommend loosing the belt all together and use that work for additional core development. That being said, Yeah, I've experienced some similar sensations after intense DL work (either high intensity or high volume) with or without a belt. Feels like I've had a boot put to my gut for a couple of days...LOL. Best I can tell, its just some minor strain or in your case maybe some muscle bruising from the belt. If you have a good chiro that you trust, having him check out the ribs is not bad advise, either.

Heal quickly!
Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

"You don't have to be tough to be stupid... but it helps."

PWR
02-20-2009, 03:25 PM
If you're doing a lighter DL workout or accessory work, I'd first recommend loosing the belt all together and use that work for additional core development. That being said, Yeah, I've experienced some similar sensations after intense DL work (either high intensity or high volume) with or without a belt. Feels like I've had a boot put to my gut for a couple of days...LOL. Best I can tell, its just some minor strain or in your case maybe some muscle bruising from the belt. If you have a good chiro that you trust, having him check out the ribs is not bad advise, either.

Heal quickly!
Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

"You don't have to be tough to be stupid... but it helps."

I only use a belt at 315 and up only on squats and deads just because of many back injuries over the years. My light days I stop at 405 and do reps. The week before I did 500x5 and it didnt hurt at all. I have moved furniture for a living for 15 years so I have a pretty strong core but it has taken its toll on my body.
But yes, this is a very strange feeling. It feels lower than my ribs but maybe its a small strain under the bottom rib on my side.
Thanks for the advise, I guess I need to go see a doc.