PDA

View Full Version : Looking for confirmation of a theory

LevesqueIsKing
02-20-2009, 10:51 PM
It's not much of a theory, mind you, I just want to make sure that my logic based on the information I know is strong and that I'm not making this stuff up.

So I'm going to hold off on bulking. Basically, I hit it as hard as I could for a year or two and didn't get the results I wanted, so I'm going to wait. I know that I'm pussying out and all that jazz. I get it. Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that after I hit my first metabolic deceleration period (which generally occurs in the former half of your 20s?), that I'll be able to bulk easier (Although I've also heard a few accounts of people claiming to never experience a significant change in their metabolism). I'm just following the logic that if people put on fat easier as they age, they should be able to gain weight in general easier, regardless of whether it's fat or muscle. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's going to be exponentially easier, and I'm going to hit it hard.

In any case, I'd like to thank you all for the invaluable knowledge that you've given to me over the years. I've never found a community that is so unanimously well-informed as this one and I can only hope that you guys are still here in a few years, because whenever I decide to start back up this will definitely be the first place I stop by.

Sensei
02-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Sooo, you're not even going to train until your metabolism slows????

I don't think it's "pussying out" at all. I think everyone should do what they want to do, but "a year or two" really isn't enough time to realize your potential in anything. I don't know how old you are Levesque, but there are some good training years I lost out on and really wish I could get back...

LevesqueIsKing
02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm seventeen. The thing is, these aren't 'good training years' for me. Mine are yet to come—or so I'm convinced. I honestly tried the hardest that I was willing to try, and after not putting on significant weight, I've come to terms with the fact that I need to take advantage of every little thing that might help me out. If that means waiting until my metabolism slows, I'll do it. Not only that, but I have to buy Whey and supplements myself, and with the recession I'm going to have to put down some cash for college—which also plays a role, as then I'll be buying groceries, and I can't even imagine paying for all the crap that I was eating a year ago.

I'm fine with this discussion, but first I'd just like to know that my overall thought process isn't flawed.

Sensei
02-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Well, as I said, you should do what you want to do and go where your interests take you... but, I don't know many men in their 30s, for example, who would say "Don't worry about training for another 5 or 10 years".

I think your thinking is flawed because it seems to begin with the assumption that you need supplements to make progress and that you are not progressing if you are not gaining weight. Neither is correct.

JMO and I wish you luck whatever you choose to do.

VikingWarlord
02-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Your overall thought process is flawed. You know when your metabolism will slow down? When you stop doing anything. That's one of the primary reasons metabolisms slow down as people age. Once a lot of people get into their lives and have kids and ****, they just get complacent and sit on the couch watching American Idol. Every day you're healthy and capable is quality training time. However, you said yourself that you've done what you were willing to do. I don't know what that was, but if you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to.

Ultimately, you'll do what you want but don't expect a single person here to tell you what you're proposing is a good idea because that's just not going to happen.

Sensei
02-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Your overall thought process is flawed. You know when your metabolism will slow down? When you stop doing anything. That's one of the primary reasons metabolisms slow down as people age. Once a lot of people get into their lives and have kids and ****, they just get complacent and sit on the couch watching American Idol. Every day you're healthy and capable is quality training time. However, you said yourself that you've done what you were willing to do. I don't know what that was, but if you want it bad enough, you'll do what you have to.

Ultimately, you'll do what you want but don't expect a single person here to tell you what you're proposing is a good idea because that's just not going to happen.Very, very well said.

Psicosis
02-21-2009, 11:20 AM
After years of boxing, I can tell you first hand that if you aren't willing to do everything, you really aren't willing to do anything.

Pimpstick
02-21-2009, 11:44 AM
After years of boxing, I can tell you first hand that if you aren't willing to do everything, you really aren't willing to do anything.

Wow, good job posting useless rhetoric.

OP, what results were you expecting and what results did you acheive?

If you trully busted your ass in the gym for two years doing heavy compound lifts, then the problem is you're not eating enough. Inactivity is not the solution to your eating problem. Eating more food is.

whiteman90909
02-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Your metabolism will slow, but your HGH levels will decline as well, so it would be harder to put on muscle...

LevesqueIsKing
02-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks, whiteman, I hadn't thought of that.

Notorious
02-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Add a gallon of milk to whatever you are eating as is. You will gain weight and you won't have to spend money on protein or supplements. And yes, it may be easier to gain weight when you get older, but now is the easiest time to put on muscle.

cphafner
02-21-2009, 02:54 PM
When your metabolism slows you will more likely to put on fat as well. You are young take advantage of the high natural test and go all out. You will fight to make gans, but what you gain will be solid. I will I had 17-21 back and ate like I do now.

jay24k
02-22-2009, 07:53 AM
You don't have to give up. Ok recession is in, you want to cut back. Understandable. College is important so that is understandable. You don't have to be bulky and big right away though. Stay eating healthy and continue to work out. At least you won't be losing valuable strength. You can also try eating cheap high calorie foods if you wanna bulk up. You don't need supplements.

I disagree with it not being you getting older, but sitting on your butt is the reason for gaining weight. Your metabolism will slow down but in my opinion, you won't see a change till at least 30. My wife was naturally thin her whole life and she noticed a change around 31. And we are as active before if not more. But if you ask her, she wishes she would of put more effort when she was younger.

No matter how old you are, you will always feel you don't have time.
15-18 : High school keeps me so busy and homework
19-25: College and paying for college, I just don't have time.
26-30: Trying to advance myself in my career. Just don't have time.
31-38: My kids just take too much time. Maybe later
39+: I'm just too old for that now. Oh well.

You will ALWAYS have an excuse. The strong person changes their life around what is most important to them. Find out what is the most important things to you. Schedule those FIRST and then fill in the rest after.

Don't give up.