PDA

View Full Version : can someone help me get a bulking diet??

mikeyballer
02-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Im new to weightlifting and i eat very little at the moment so i am trying to gain alot of muscle because im very skinny right now and this is for basketball. I weigh about 140 at 5'9 so can someone help me come up with a diet plan to help me gain weight while im weight training? btw i cant eat fish

KarstenDD
02-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Just eat everything. You should always be eating. Constantly. And by eating everything I really mean everything. You can't eat fish, eat a pizza. You don't have pizza, eat a box of ring dings. No ring dings, eat a jar of peanut butter. It doesn't matter if you are full or not because you won't actually be eating anymore, you'll be feeding.

VikingWarlord
02-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Just eat everything. You should always be eating. Constantly. And by eating everything I really mean everything. You can't eat fish, eat a pizza. You don't have pizza, eat a box of ring dings. No ring dings, eat a jar of peanut butter. It doesn't matter if you are full or not because you won't actually be eating anymore, you'll be feeding.

Dude, stop. Seriously.

Yes, eat a lot. No, don't make your entire intake nothing but greasy trash. You can eat some of it but you're better served by eating red meat, peanut butter, milk, pasta, and basically everything else listed in the "What A Bodybuilder Eats" thread listed in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Pimpstick
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM
What's a ring ding?

Since you're new and admittedly don't eat a lot, just start eating more. If you're lifting, it's as simple as that. Right now you are eating enough to maitain 140 pounds, if you consistently eat more than you are right now, you will see your weight increase.

Really, the key is consistency.

VikingWarlord
02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
What's a ring ding?

Fake chocolate snack cake with fake cream filling.

given'er
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Dude, stop. Seriously.

Yes, eat a lot. No, don't make your entire intake nothing but greasy trash. You can eat some of it but you're better served by eating red meat, peanut butter, milk, pasta, and basically everything else listed in the "What A Bodybuilder Eats" thread listed in the sticky at the top of the forum.

I second that. If all you do is eat junk while your bulking you'll be on here in a few months asking advice on how to cut because you gained 30lbs but look like *****

rbtrout
02-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Meat, veggies, chicken, peanut butter, whole milk, eggs, turkey, etc. and alot of it.

KarstenDD
02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Dude, stop. Seriously.

I'm just saying if you want to gain weight, you need to eat A LOT. I probably should start telling people to eat the good stuff first. It's just that there are plenty of people on here that will throw out steak and all the good stuff.

So OP, make the good stuff your priority. But eating everything works.

mikeyballer
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
kk thanks everyone im gonna try and make a schedual because its gonna make it much easier to know how much i am eating

bossman009
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM

I read a post like this before when I started back in 06.. So i thought to myslef, okay ill eat everything..
And I had a huge appetite (ate.. 3 footlong subs from subway in one sitting)

So i began eating everything i could get my hands on

And my weight went from 165 to 185 in like a month..

Which really messed me up and I had to cut all the bodyfat off and start over

Masako
02-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Meat, veggies, chicken, peanut butter, whole milk, eggs, turkey, etc. and alot of it.http://www.dineoxford.com/pics/img/1927/f09t0105qcsp/82.gif

Exactly, and a tip that really put things in perspective for me was to double my portions. No, I can't *always* do this, but most of the time I can, providing I give myself more time to eat my meals.

KarstenDD
02-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I read a post like this before when I started back in 06.. So i thought to myslef, okay ill eat everything..
And I had a huge appetite (ate.. 3 footlong subs from subway in one sitting)

So i began eating everything i could get my hands on

And my weight went from 165 to 185 in like a month..

Which really messed me up and I had to cut all the bodyfat off and start over

You gained 20 pounds in a month, sweet. Eat a lot and train hard, it's simple.

bossman009
02-24-2009, 12:47 AM

too bad back then it was about 2 pounds of muscle.. and 18 pounds of fat

gotta be careful with those "eat whatever you see when you bulk" type comments.. some people (me for 1) fell victim to that phrase and consumed about 8000 calories a day when my maintenance was 2500 for a good month..

AKMass
02-24-2009, 07:36 AM
For the OP...I would do the following:

1. If you know your maintenance calories, skip to Step 2. Otherwise, track your food intake for a couple weeks (or however long it takes) to find your maintenance calorie level (the number of calories you must consume to neither gain nor lose weight).

2. Create a diet using foods from, as Viking mentioned, the "What a Bodybuilder Eats" thread, subject to the following constraints:

a. Daily calorie intake should be ~500 calories above your maintenance level (even though technically you will gain weight as long as your calorie intake is above maintenance, but 500 above provides a good balance of fat and muscle being put on).
b. Consume 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight per day at a minimum. For you, this would currently be 140 grams of protein per day.
c. This is less important, but don't be afraid of fats, and try not to be too carb-heavy in your diet. If 60% of your total calories are coming from carbs, you're doing something wrong. Use fitday.com to track what you're eating and where the calories are coming from.

Other than that, it's up to you. Eat food that you like or you probably won't stick with it. Good luck.

VikingWarlord
02-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Methinks thou hath missed the point.

given'er
02-24-2009, 01:56 PM
"You are what you eat" is a very true quote

KarstenDD
02-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Methinks thou hath missed the point.

Methinks I doth place results above aesthetics.

VikingWarlord
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Methinks I doth place results above aesthetics.

Depends what results you're looking for.

KarstenDD
02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Depends what results you're looking for.

Getting yoked

VikingWarlord
02-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Getting yoked

I figured that was yours. Most people that come around here are doing it purely for aesthetics.

king8329
02-25-2009, 11:37 AM
For the OP...I would do the following:

1. If you know your maintenance calories, skip to Step 2. Otherwise, track your food intake for a couple weeks (or however long it takes) to find your maintenance calorie level (the number of calories you must consume to neither gain nor lose weight).

2. Create a diet using foods from, as Viking mentioned, the "What a Bodybuilder Eats" thread, subject to the following constraints:

a. Daily calorie intake should be ~500 calories above your maintenance level (even though technically you will gain weight as long as your calorie intake is above maintenance, but 500 above provides a good balance of fat and muscle being put on).
b. Consume 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight per day at a minimum. For you, this would currently be 140 grams of protein per day.
c. This is less important, but don't be afraid of fats, and try not to be too carb-heavy in your diet. If 60% of your total calories are coming from carbs, you're doing something wrong. Use fitday.com to track what you're eating and where the calories are coming from.

Other than that, it's up to you. Eat food that you like or you probably won't stick with it. Good luck.

This is solid advice. When I first started training this is what I did (very simplistic approach)
1.- track your calories using a site like fitday for a week or so. This will tell you how many cals. that you eat on a daily basis currently. This is what your body needs to maintain your current weight.
2. Continue to eat in a fashion that allows you to consume the same amount of calories that you came up with in step 1. You may have to adjust your macro breakdown to include more protein, etc,
3. Add in this shake daily...
2 cups skim milk
2tbsp-peanut butter
1/2 cup -oats
1 scoop protein powder
Cals-662
Fats-22g
carbs-60g
prot-57g
breakdown-35/35/30

Try this for two weeks daily and you should gain weight. Its a very siplistic approach but works well for beginners. Simplicity is key at first. Hope that helped.

mikeyballer
02-25-2009, 04:56 PM
^^ thanks im going to try that, can you tell me how much calories i should take per day to gain weight

king8329
02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
^^ thanks im going to try that, can you tell me how much calories i should take per day to gain weight

Theres no guaranteed formula to figure that out. You have to find out how many cals. you currently take in to maintain your current weight.Go here.
http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.html?_a_Date=1227916800.
Put in what you normally eat in a regular day. That will be what you need to maintain your current weight. To gain weight, the generally accepted method is to add 500 cals. to that number and you will gain. (hence the shake I gave you has 600 cals.) Try that for two weeks consistently (consistency is the key) if you dont add any weight, up the cals by another 500. (or for simplicity sake, drink another shake daily.) So on and so forth.