PDA

View Full Version : Diet without weight loss?

Beavereater
02-23-2009, 06:39 AM
In a previous post I had my diet up. It's all good. I'm 158kgs, 6ft and was eating like crap the last 2 years I was out of the gym due to injuries. Last week I went back on a diet of 3000 calories, 250 to 300grams of protein, all my healthy fat and carbs. I use Nitrien twice a day to help with that.

After a week of clean eating (But no gym, my membership starts March 1st) I was expecting at least a slight loss in weight. Unfortunately, today the scale read a little higher. So, I'm at a bit of a loss. I know this is just the start, but what a bummer of a start. I know that the weight will drop with the 3x a week routine. I'm on my bike everyday for work, so I am not sitting around all day.

Any ideas?

BTW: My HcG (HRT) started Friday, and I feel so much better. I had my 2nd injection today and the energy is there. Can't wait to get back in the gym (Went 4 yrs nonstop before my problems started)

Pimpstick
02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Here's an idea, eat less. You're 350 pounds and 6 feet tall. You aren't going to wake up one morning fit as a fiddle.

Don't take this the wrong way, but at your weight you may need professional help. It's possible your understanding of what constitutes 3000 calories is wrong. My half sister is 5' 5" and weighs over 300 pounds. She swears that she only eats 2000 calories a day, but I have watched her eat an entire half gallon of fat free ice cream in one sitting thinking that it was ok since it was fat free. It's good to hear that you ride your bike to work and aren't a total slug, but it's going to take more than that and a lot more time than one week to get good results.

Please stick around and follow our advice. Create a weight loss journal. I don't know your long term goals, but please do what it takes to become healthy. We are here to help.

Unreal
02-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Weight flucations can be huge. In the past 2 weeks I've been anywhere from 217 to 205 on the scale depending on what I eat. That is weighing in first thing in the morning so that doesn't even take into account weight change over the course of the day. Don't worry about the scale so much.

Beavereater
02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Here's an idea, eat less. You're 350 pounds and 6 feet tall. You aren't going to wake up one morning fit as a fiddle.

Don't take this the wrong way, but at your weight you may need professional help. It's possible your understanding of what constitutes 3000 calories is wrong. My half sister is 5' 5" and weighs over 300 pounds. She swears that she only eats 2000 calories a day, but I have watched her eat an entire half gallon of fat free ice cream in one sitting thinking that it was ok since it was fat free. It's good to hear that you ride your bike to work and aren't a total slug, but it's going to take more than that and a lot more time than one week to get good results.

Please stick around and follow our advice. Create a weight loss journal. I don't know your long term goals, but please do what it takes to become healthy. We are here to help.

I weigh what I eat, it gets put into fitday.com. Everything I eat is fresh, from chicken and fish, to all the veggies. Only 2 oils are used, olive oil and sesame oil. These are done in tbsp. There are no hidden calories in anything else, and all I drink is carbonated water (And plenty of it) and Nitrean (To get me going in the morning and if I can't eat enough to get my protein to where it should be by the evening). There are no hidden calories in any of that unless fitday.com and calorieking.com are lying to me. Digital scale is how I weigh it, and nobody cooks my food for me. 3000 calories (take or give 50-100)

As for eating less, that's the next step if 3000 doesn't result in any weight loss after the first month at the gym. However, at 158kgs to go from eating dumb to eating right I expected a pound or 3 to have already been shed. Unfortunately the scale had me at the same numbers. I'm not expecting a huge loss in a few days, I was hoping for something within the first week...that something being just that little bit.

VikingWarlord
02-23-2009, 10:51 AM
How did you figure out that 3000kCal is what you need to lose? What's your maintenance?

At that size, you can afford to cut your calories pretty damn low for a couple weeks to kickstart the weight loss and then back it off to a more moderate plan once you get the ball rolling.

rbtrout
02-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Also, how many times a day do you eat. I've got a friend at work that complains that he only eat 2000 cals a day and gets fatter. He only eats 2 times a day. A small lunch and a huge dinner - there's his problem.

Beavereater
02-23-2009, 11:41 AM
How did you figure out that 3000kCal is what you need to lose? What's your maintenance?

At that size, you can afford to cut your calories pretty damn low for a couple weeks to kickstart the weight loss and then back it off to a more moderate plan once you get the ball rolling.

While I new that recording everything I eat for 2 weeks, without cheating, and weighing myself before and after to determine where my maintenance calories stand would have been the best idea, I simply started at 3000 calories figuring that it would be low considering my weight and previous eating habits. It would be today that I would have liked to have said "OK, lost this much, I can keep doing this until I get into the gym..." But no loss at all. Which, IMO is odd for a person of my weight.

(I've been on this forum for a long time, many of my posts have disappeared, assuming something happened to the forum while I was gone) It would have given a better idea of what I knew and didn't know.

Also, how many times a day do you eat. I've got a friend at work that complains that he only eat 2000 cals a day and gets fatter. He only eats 2 times a day. A small lunch and a huge dinner - there's his problem.

Because of work I eat anywhere from 4 to 8 meals a day (If Nitrean would considered a meal). I work all over town and I eat when I can between work. My meals are prepared the day before and I eat as I go. When I get home I have the rest of what is left and later in the evening I have more Nitrean.)

I want to eat 3 meals a day at the same time, just can't do it. I split them up. Only on days I have off, or 'easy' days do I eat 3 times.

ETA: While I could never do 2 meals a day, one small one large, what is the problem exactly with that...the mechanics behind it keeping you fat.

Pimpstick
02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
The only problem with eating two meals a day is that you will be starving when you eat, thus making you more likely to overeat.

VikingWarlord
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
The only problem with eating two meals a day is that you will be starving when you eat, thus making you more likely to overeat.

There's an adjustment period but some people have really good results on something like an Intermittent Fast or the Warrior Diet. When I actually cared, I used an IF sort of thing and it worked pretty well for me after a few days of misery.

Meal frequency is more about comfort and convenience than anything.