PDA

View Full Version : Fairly Decent Article

WillNoble
02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Not a huge fan of T-mag (mainly for all the stupid Shiz TC posts, and my long standing dislike of Berardi) but there was a pretty decent one this morning...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/is_sportspecific_training_a_myth

KarstenDD
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Not a huge fan of T-mag (mainly for all the stupid Shiz TC posts, and my long standing dislike of Berardi) but there was a pretty decent one this morning...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/is_sportspecific_training_a_myth

I will read this later. But yes at least 90% of Estrogen Nation is just bad.

WillNoble
02-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I will read this later. But yes at least 90% of Estrogen Nation is just bad.

thier "forums" make me glad to have a place as good as this

slashkills
02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Some of those exercises and stretches are fine for accessory work but i dont think any of those are an alternative to squats.

WillNoble
02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Some of those exercises and stretches are fine for accessory work but i dont think any of those are an alternative to squats.
agreed, I think if you take this article with a grain of salt, there is some very good data in it...

Again I do not agree 100% with what he's saying but there are some choice nuggets in there to be had...

Sensei
02-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Mike Boyle puts out good stuff.

Weight room work for athletes, no matter how you slice it, is GPP. It's all GPP. But, not all GPP is equal so to speak.

squat huge
02-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the post, that was a good article.

KingJustin
02-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't know why people hate on T-Mag. I don't like the stupid **** that TC posts, but otherwise I think most of the articles are good. Sometimes the people act like their system is the only way (CF does this, too), but usually their system is good.

Sensei
02-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, some of the bashing is understandable. The hyperbole, macho posturing, ads, and even the fake boobs can get old after a while. For every great article, there's at least 10 inconsequential ones.

I've always liked Dave Tate, Dan John, and Mike Boyle - like Mike Rippetoe, there is no pseudo-scientific bs inserted in an attempt to sell their training recommendations. Simple, to the point, and easily applicable (if applicable to your training needs).

Yeah, I know I'm asking to be flamed for the boobs statement but oh well...

Hazerboy
02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
t-nation has some good articles. To name a few of my favorites:
http://www.t-nation.com/article/atomic_dog/steroids_forever
http://www.t-nation.com/article/supplements/future_of_steroids_and_supplements&cr=
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/inconvenient_truths_protein_health_and_strength_sports

I used to have more but I think I lost the bookmark.

But yeah there's also tons of garbage on there. I like the fact that they have a large resource of PhD's and look into science, but sometimes its just too much. Sometimes every other article on there is some new way to add another inch to my biceps with mechanical super drop double sets or something. About Every article on supplements or a new style of training is trying to sell you something.

the figure athletes are hot, but all the pics do a get a bit annoying after awhile.

KingJustin
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, some of the bashing is understandable. The hyperbole, macho posturing, ads, and even the fake boobs can get old after a while. For every great article, there's at least 10 inconsequential ones.

Ok, I agree with that. There's a lot of extra hype to a lot of the articles, and there's also a lot of "secret unlocking" based on small amounts of marginally relevant semi-scientific data.

But, I think that most of what T-Nation proscribes I agree with, and I think most other people here do, too. If you go line by line through an article, though, there's a lot of fallacies I guess. I guess I've just become so accustomed to their fallacies that I completely ignore them and skip to the substantive stuff.

What's up with the Berardi bashing, though? What part of his dietary suggestions don't you guys like? I pretty much follow his stuff (even over the crossfit zone stuff that's always shoved down my throat!), and I think it works great.

WillNoble
02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
What's up with the Berardi bashing, though? What part of his dietary suggestions don't you guys like? I pretty much follow his stuff (even over the crossfit zone stuff that's always shoved down my throat!), and I think it works great.

I take it, youve never been on Lyle's Forum?

Why dont you just head on over to bodyrecomposition.com and ask them that question.

That aside, Berardi Espouses some quack science, and some rather impractical dietary information. Lyle has done a fairly good job shredding him, as have to a lesser extent: Hale, Colpo, Aragon, etc.

Hazerboy
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Will talking about diet information = LOLSAURUS

WillNoble
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM

????

KingJustin
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I take it, youve never been on Lyle's Forum?

Why dont you just head on over to bodyrecomposition.com and ask them that question.

That aside, Berardi Espouses some quack science, and some rather impractical dietary information. Lyle has done a fairly good job shredding him, as have to a lesser extent: Hale, Colpo, Aragon, etc.

Well, yeah I've read a lot of what Lyle's written.

But, I don't think anything is wrong with Berardi's general advice:
carbs+protein in the morning, before and 3 hours after the workout (progressively lower GI), otherwise protein+carb+healthy fats; minimal carbs on rest days; reasonable fat ratio.

And then when you cut you just drop the carbs. (Although, I do like the PSMF+carb-reload the most).

Even of some of the "science" behind that is unsubstantiated, what's the problem with the advice?

WillNoble
02-24-2009, 07:44 PM
But, I don't think anything is wrong with Berardi's general advice:
carbs+protein in the morning, before and 3 hours after the workout (progressively lower GI), otherwise protein+carb+healthy fats; minimal carbs on rest days; reasonable fat ratio.

none of which is at all groundbreaking, most people who know their ass from a hole in the ground on this forum will tell you the same thing.

Even of some of the "science" behind that is unsubstantiated, what's the problem with the advice?

It is the fact that all he says is unsubstantiated, in regards to science, that he has be proven wrong on more than one occasion. Is his basic advice good? Sure, but I can get the same advice from any countless number of sources...

For someone who touts his phd as much as he does, the guy is a crock, and his stupidity of espousing that "A Calorie is not a Calorie" is one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard...

When you take away all his "Science", Berardi is a guy telling you to eat more lean proteins, more veggies, and limit the complex carbs........................................... Groundbreaking!

KarstenDD
02-24-2009, 08:31 PM

????

Second. Being fat and enjoying the bad stuff doesn't mean you can't know a thing or several.

KingJustin
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
none of which is at all groundbreaking, most people who know their ass from a hole in the ground on this forum will tell you the same thing.

It is the fact that all he says is unsubstantiated, in regards to science, that he has be proven wrong on more than one occasion. Is his basic advice good? Sure, but I can get the same advice from any countless number of sources...

For someone who touts his phd as much as he does, the guy is a crock, and his stupidity of espousing that "A Calorie is not a Calorie" is one of the dumbest things Ive ever heard...

When you take away all his "Science", Berardi is a guy telling you to eat more lean proteins, more veggies, and limit the complex carbs........................................... Groundbreaking!

Ok, we're sort of in agreement then. I think he gives good advice and makes the advice seem more groundbreaking than it really is. I just ignore the fact that he makes sensationalist claims and focus on the fact that he gives solid advice.