PDA

View Full Version : Please help, diagnosed with cancer

ironworker
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I've been ignoring this place for a couple years now and have since put on 30lbs. I look and feel like sh&t and the final topper came today when my doctor diagnosed me with rare type of cancer.

A small bump (about the size of a BB) appeared on the tip of my ring finger about 15 months ago. I'm self employed, working 12 + hours a day. I continually ignored this lump until it began to grow at a rapid pace
I had the lump surgically removed last week and today, found out it was a malignant tumor.
In all probability, more of the tumors exist in my body. It sounds as if I'm going to undergo a wide spectrum kemo which has put me into a real mental tail-spin.

2-1/2 years ago, members of this forum help me lose 20 lbs in 4 months using diet and exercise.
I need help finding a diet that I can use utilizing light cardio workout (treadmill) and get results.

I'm 42, 6'-1", 238 lbs

Rich Allen

Foggy06
02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Dont think i have much info that would help you but im sorry to hear about the bad news..
Keep fighting man
Best of luck

vdizenzo
02-24-2009, 05:49 AM
As Alwyn Cosgrove from Elitefts says F#%k cancer. My mom has been winning her battle thus far against lung cancer. She had quite a bit of chemo and radiation. She's in her 60's and she's an animal. I am so proud of her. She met with a nutritionist at the hospital and she told her to keep her calories up. Basically they had her eating a well balanced diet where she would try to add extra calories in from things like creams, butter, spreads, etc. She lost a lot of her taste. I am not sure whether that was from the chemo or radiation. At that point she just had to try and find anything she could stand the taste of. That's about the best I can offer. Do some research on diet while in treatment online. They give good advice for spices and such that help with the taste thing if it becomes an issue for you.

Get your support in line and keep your chin up. Best of luck and keep us informed. My prayers are with you.

nzk
02-27-2009, 07:44 PM
sorry for the bad news, i wish u the best of luck and prayer. im confused by your question though, are you trying to get a plan together to lose weight? cancer causes a catabolic state and chemo only magnifies that, i think ur biggest problem will be losing too much weight.

Progress
02-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry, man, that sucks. What are your plans as far as training?

Mercuryblade
03-01-2009, 12:28 AM
My mom is a cancer survivor, and I can not of course speak personally about what it's like to actually have it, but I'd like to think I have at least a few ideas about living through it.
You are taking a fantastic step in keeping your sanity throughout this rough time. Doing everything you can to keep your mind from being too idle during these next months is going to be very important. Get involved in activities (like exercise) and surround yourselves with friends and family. Try some new things. My mom who has never taken an art class in her life, ended up carving and casting a bronze sculpture.

As far as your diet goes, I think it would be best to talk to a primary care physician (either M.D. or D.O.) My mom's primary care doctor is amazing, in fact he doesn't even take new patients because he's so full. He was really on top of all the latest research regarding supplements and nutrition, and he gave her a lot of good information.

I should also add, that after you get done kicking the crap out of this cancer be prepared to feel awesome for the rest of your life. I can say personally it changed my mom quite a bit, for the better.