PDA

View Full Version : renting a storage unit

bigred90
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Hey, have any of you had success renting out a storage unit to put equipment? I know some have in a warehouse but not sure about a storage unit. If so, what did you tell management you were doing? Were there any legal or other problems?

ACaslow
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Hey, have any of you had success renting out a storage unit to put equipment? I know some have in a warehouse but not sure about a storage unit. If so, what did you tell management you were doing? Were there any legal or other problems?

My gym is exactly in one these. They work fantastic if you find the right one with the appropriate size.

First of all, don't make the same mistake we did, so look for a climate controlled facility. It will make a wonder of difference, if you can imagine.

Second of all, be very open and honest about what your plans are. This will eliminate any hassles and/or operation disputes. I have hosted my gym in two different storage facilities and because I have been completely open about what my plans are, how many people are involved and how often both facilities have been incredibly in service and friendliness. I can recall the manager of our current facility actually asking us if things were going ok? if we needed anything? the last facility we were at, the guy even asked us for help and advice. My point is, make friends with these places, it goes a long ways.

Our storage shed is 25x25, so about the size of a three car garage, maybe not as wide but obviously deeper as most three car garages are about 15x30 or 20x30. Atleast ours is. Also, make sure if you plan to have a group of lifters, that there is enough parking for everyone. There are tons of climate controlled facilities so you can be slightly picky on certain things, and parking can be a bitch, so I have chosen wisely both times with this. The last key, is too make sure you have an easy access to the gate, you don't want to be having to take all of your equipment completely apart just to get it in there. Make sure you can move your equipment easily in and out of the shed. We can pull sled inside and push prowler in ours, that's how roomy the hallways are. All climate controlled facilities do not have an outdoor gate which is why you need to keep that in mind.

Hope that helps. It shouldn't be hard to find one, when I called about and explained my purpose all were fine with it, a took a visit to three facilities and picked the one I felt was the best. I also wanted one with high security. Ours has cameras and two different gates with codes you have to pass before you can even get to our locks. Whether that's overkill or not is up to you, but I have close to 10k in equipment in there so whatever makes me feel comfortable.

Sean Hatley
02-23-2009, 08:20 PM
First of all, don't make the same mistake we did, so look for a climate controlled facility. It will make a wonder of difference, if you can imagine.

Man it cold in the old place.

Ben Moore
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
To piggyback Al's statement - some states do have regulations against using a storage facility for anything other than storage. Missouri is one of them. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

bigred90
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
thanks for the tips guys. The winters are easy in texas but the summers, im sure the climate control will be needed haha. Ill just have to make calls and be very open as you said. Ill google it but any idea where i could find that out exactly ben?

MarcusWild
02-24-2009, 03:17 PM
I think this is a good route to do. You could also look into industrial park space. Depending on where you live, a small "industrial condo" could be the same price. You cold also look at subleasing space inside of a gym.

rbtrout
02-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I've seen a few gyms in industrial park space in CA. I thought it was an excellent idea.