PDA

View Full Version : PRE and POST workout shakes

scumbag
02-23-2009, 11:23 PM
Ok help me out guys/girls...I've searched the forum and was surprised that there aren't that many posts on what are considered optimum pre and post workout shakes. Right now my pre and post are pretty much the same thing:

whey protein isolate
natty pb
oats
flax oil
soy milk

any other suggestions on ingredients I should/could be using? Thanks in advance...

VikingWarlord
02-24-2009, 08:01 AM
A roughly 2:1 carb to protein mix is the most effective according to most of what I've ever read. I'd always do a scoop of protein and 3 of Powerade powder, ended up being 24g protein and about 51g of carbs.

Fats aren't going to do you much good in the training window so the PB and oils just aren't necessary and will likely slow the absorption of everything else. Not what you want to have happen during that time.

Pimpstick
02-24-2009, 09:13 AM
There isn't much on here about it because it's one of the most overhyped aspects of bodybuilding. I'm not saying it's not important to eat after a workout, but your body doesn't say "ZOMG!!! I need sugar 10.3452 minutes after my workout or I refuse to build muscle!!11" Eat a light snack before workout, and some carbs and protein after. Done!