PDA

View Full Version : Back spotters for deadlifting?

Ryan Celli
02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Lately, I've been seeing alot of meet videos that have a back spotter for deadlifts.

The federations I've lifted in, never used one.

Are lifters falling backwards more often now? Maybe with the newer suits?

I've seen lifters fall backwards plenty of times, but has a spotter ever successfully caught someone?

I understand it's for safety, but my guess is all that would happen is both the lifter and the spotter both go down! LOL.

For everyone that has lifted in a fed that has a back spotter for deadlifts, can you please give me some insight and let me know if this has been successful as far as safety.

Thanks!

Travis Bell
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah I'd be curious as well. I've seen a lifter fall backwards only once or twice ever

I'd probably agree, the back spotter is more likely to just get in the way than anything else

Lones Green
02-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I've seen quite a few people fall backwards. I notice its mostly with sumo pullers, even more specifically those new to pulling sumo. I know it was a bit hard for me to stay stable at lockout when I began pulling sumo.

I say, if you fall, you fall. You'll be alright. If someone's that worried about it, I don't think helmets are on the banned pieces of powerlifting gear list....

:clown:

MarcusWild
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Somewhere there's a video of Hoss Cartwright hitting a brick wall about 30 MPH when his grip gave on a deadlift. It was really scary at the time. If there was a back spotter, they'd have gotten killed.

I think it's more incase the lifter passes out. I've seen that happen a few times. That way there's someone there to catch them and let them down gently.

Big o Boy
02-24-2009, 11:07 PM
I've stumbled back a few times, but once passed out while pulling conventional and fell back to the ground (while pulling conv.). Had a spotter been there and tried to catch me/push me back forward, the bar would have bent back my knees. Let em fall, I say. ;)

smokinHawk
02-25-2009, 07:11 AM
lot of good the back spotter did here.
z0o0JQJkneM

drmobley
02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Having a back spotter is about as worthless as the guy that came up to me when I was doing rack pulls and he walks right in front of me and asks if I need a liftoff. I felt bad because I laughed when he said it, but I'm thinking if he gave me a liftoff for a rack pull which one of us would say good job at the end. I like sumo guys hat, was the icing on the cake when he passed out.

Big_Byrd52
02-25-2009, 09:51 AM
haha was that Derick?! i know i coulda used one oonce when i fell during a warmup and punctured a 2 inch hoe in my back with the edge of the DL jack

Kenny Croxdale
02-25-2009, 09:55 AM
lot of good the back spotter did here.
z0o0JQJkneM

Letting this guy wear that hat on the platform is ridiculeous.

Kenny Croxdale

Painzer
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Letting this guy wear that hat on the platform is ridiculeous.

Kenny Croxdale

I agree. funny watching him fail with it on though.