PDA

View Full Version : Raw or not is it safe?

unfmuscle
04-09-2002, 01:21 PM
This may sound stupid but i am goign to ask anyhow. Is it ok to eat raw steak? I have not tried this i was just wondering. the nutrition labels above the meat section of the foood store are they measured before or after cooking the meat? :help: :help:

breeze
04-09-2002, 01:33 PM
It is generally not safe to eat raw meat because of the possibility of bacteria contamination which can cause sickness. I think the labels are for the uncooked meat.

unfmuscle
04-09-2002, 01:46 PM
thanks i was thinking the same. Well how much protien gets denatured when struck by heat?

Scooby-Doo
04-09-2002, 01:55 PM
Not much... Unless you burn it into charcoal. :)

Mark
04-09-2002, 03:39 PM
You probably are safe to eat raw steak if it's very fresh and from good supplier.
If it wasn't you wouldn't be allowed to order a rare steak in a restaurant as the centre is only warmed rather than cooked.
Most peple I know who have tried raw steak said they preferred the taste when slightly cooked instead.
You should never ever think of eating poultry raw by the way -s'pose you already know though.

gettinjackT
04-09-2002, 03:44 PM
I eat everything raw, I dont have an oven.

MarshallPenn
04-09-2002, 04:01 PM
no problem unless it's tainted. poultry no.

unfmuscle
04-09-2002, 06:12 PM
ya thanks a bunch what i did with my steaks i bought today was slightly tan the top of them on the george formen but hte middle is raw. tasted good. Oh on the poultry subject yes i know but thanks for the concern!

gettinjackT
04-09-2002, 07:33 PM
mmmm, bloody!!

McBain
04-10-2002, 07:44 AM
what about eggs, are they alright to eat raw?

Logo
04-10-2002, 08:21 AM
McBain, I've heard from quite a few people that the human digestive system can't properly digest uncooke eggs. If this is true then, not only are you increasing your chances of getting very sick, but you are decreasing the amount of protein that gets absorbed.

RippedUp
04-10-2002, 09:52 AM
In France, one of their best dishes is called "steak tartare". It's actually high quality raw minced beef mixed with a whole raw egg and a few spices such as mustard and peppers.

Tastes awesome!

gettinjackT
04-10-2002, 05:13 PM
yeh, raw eggs are safe to eat, as long as the shell isn't cracked and you thoroughly wash the shell before you crack it open. As far as digestion goes, I'm don't know for sure, but I'd have to agree with Logo. Whenever I ate raw eggs in the past, they just didn't seem to sit right in my stomach. I'd usually feel a little sick for the next few hours.

the doc
04-10-2002, 07:24 PM
it is not safe to eat raw meat of any sort. THe only exception is real cuts of steak such as NY strip and fillet mignon. THey are seared on the outer portion which is where all the bacteria are. As long as the cut of meat has not been pierced, the inner portion should be free of bacteria. I still eat all my meat cooked thrououghly, but i eat pink steak (but not raw)

also, all the protein is denatured in cooking. That is what cooking is!

Budiak
04-11-2002, 01:43 AM
As long as your meat is from a good source, and is clean, I wouldnt worry about it.

One question and one statement.

Statement.
What the hell are you doing eating raw meat anyways?

Question.
Zombies eat raw flesh all the time, and they seem to do just fine for themselves, dont you think? Look how many of them there are!

Shocker
04-11-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Budiak
As long as your meat is from a good source, and is clean, I wouldnt worry about it.

One question and one statement.

Statement.
What the hell are you doing eating raw meat anyways?

Question.
Zombies eat raw flesh all the time, and they seem to do just fine for themselves, dont you think? Look how many of them there are!

zombies are poorly built though

TOP TIP:
chopped steak rolled in salt makes great chewing gum

<H.I.T.man>
04-11-2002, 02:28 AM
mY question is for the poor dude with no oven... did you ever catch the mofo that stole it "gettinjacT"?!? In Australia we don't use ovens though, we chuck our steaks on the barbie, tastes better anyway... ;)

Budiak
04-11-2002, 02:46 AM
Yes, true, the health state of zombies is not what I'd call prime, but its all they eat! Imagine if zombies started eating...oatmeal as well.
They'd be unstoppable.

Why dont you get a tabletop grill like the kind the gentle George Foreman advertises? 20 bucks and you can grill for friggin life. You can grill anything on it, too. I put a steak, some sweet Po's, and some asparagus on the grill all at the same time once.

BTW

Who in the *** stole your OVEN???
I dont know if I should be angry at the thieves for stealing it or angry at YOU for allowing an OVEN to be stolen.