PDA

View Full Version : Shirted picture, one year difference

berfles
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
I should probably make one big thread for myself since I've been on a slight picture rampage lately... This is it for awhile though.

These two pictures are almost exactly a year apart. Probably about a year and 20 days. I think it's time for some bigger shirts.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/DSCN7043-1.jpghttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/IMG_5353rawsmall-1.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/IMG_5759comb.jpg

Southern Beast
02-25-2009, 09:53 PM
You, sir, have made fantastic progress. All of your pictures are awesome, and showcase a true dedication to the iron. Congrats on doing such a damn good job, bro.

-JM-
02-26-2009, 02:59 AM
You are doing a great job man! No doubt about it.

Bako Lifter
02-26-2009, 03:07 AM
Dude, you're massive.

kingswoodlegend
02-26-2009, 04:42 AM
thats impressive man!!!! awsome!

Steven001
02-26-2009, 06:38 AM
What a difference, everything about you has just blown up! What are you plans for now; keep bulking or do you plan to cut sometime in the future? Do you have an recent shirtless pictures to compare progress?

berfles
02-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys.

What a difference, everything about you has just blown up! What are you plans for now; keep bulking or do you plan to cut sometime in the future? Do you have an recent shirtless pictures to compare progress?

I was thinking of trying to bulk up to 225 and then cutting down to 205-215 or so and seeing what I look like. I can't wait to cut, I'm getting very tired of stuffing myself to the point of throwing up.

And I don't really have a recent shirtless one, I just picked this "pose" because I found that old picture and it was the only one I found from exactly a year ago.

EDIT: I made the mistake of posting this at BB.com too and had some 160lb guy tell me my arms "had no shape" and to "use isolation exercises to shape my arms" :scratch:

mcdonough9395
02-26-2009, 02:07 PM
WoW! Nice man. HA **** that guy your arms are ****ing enourmous! What was your weight before and after? Were you bulking the entire year? Howd you stay so lean?

berfles
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
WoW! Nice man. HA **** that guy your arms are ****ing enourmous! What was your weight before and after? Were you bulking the entire year? Howd you stay so lean?

In those pictures I was probably around 175-180 for the before and I weigh 203 as of a couple weeks ago.

I've been bulking since I joined this site, my metabolism is just that insane, it's the only reason I'm still somewhat lean.

AKMass
02-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Great job bro...I can't wait to be 200 lbs...What do your arms measure now? What about before (if you know)?

berfles
02-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Arms are nearing 17" right now, before they were probably barely 15" if not a bit below. Not that big, but getting there. And no direct arm work either.

Mad Max
02-26-2009, 03:41 PM
That's a perfect example of a bulk done properly. I think you've made about as much progress as you could hope to make in the time you've given. You're also quite handsome (no homo).

berfles
02-26-2009, 04:41 PM
That's a perfect example of a bulk done properly. I think you've made about as much progress as you could hope to make in the time you've given.

Thanks man.

You're also quite handsome (no homo).

Haha.

I really see why BB.com sucks so badly though, there is no reasoning with them. I quit posting pictures over there from now on, though I've only made about two picture threads. I don't even feel like linking them to articles about shaping muscles to prove them wrong.

Detard
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Hey dude, I read your post over on bb.com. I agree and disagree with you.

Many people here at wbb are under the impression that isolation movements are completely useless. I'm gonna agree with you and say there is no such thing as shaping a muscle, but i'm gonna disagree with you that isolation movements are pointless. Maybe this doesnt work for you, but for others it might. I like to add in a few sets of curls at the end of a training session. I'm not trying to get into an argument with you at all, just giving you some insight from someone who actually is a powerlifter and does a few isolation movements every now and then.

I do NOT think they should be the main focus of a routine, but I do think they are worth it to throw in a set or 2 at the end of a heavy workout.

BTW, you look great man. We have very much the same body type but your about 10-15lbs heavier than me. Congrats on the progress, your hard work is really paying off well. Keep the bulk going!

berfles
02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey dude, I read your post over on bb.com. I agree and disagree with you.

Many people here at wbb are under the impression that isolation movements are completely useless. I'm gonna agree with you and say there is no such thing as shaping a muscle, but i'm gonna disagree with you that isolation movements are pointless. Maybe this doesnt work for you, but for others it might. I like to add in a few sets of curls at the end of a training session. I'm not trying to get into an argument with you at all, just giving you some insight from someone who actually is a powerlifter and does a few isolation movements every now and then.

I do NOT think they should be the main focus of a routine, but I do think they are worth it to throw in a set or 2 at the end of a heavy workout.

BTW, you look great man. We have very much the same body type but your about 10-15lbs heavier than me. Congrats on the progress, your hard work is really paying off well. Keep the bulk going!

I didn't mean for it to sound like I said they're useless either, and I don't think I did, but those idiots are telling me my arms have no shape and if I started doing for isolation exercises it would magically "cut up" my arms. If I started doing tons of curls trying to hit my biceps from every angle it's not going to shape a damn thing, nor is it going to seemingly make my bodyfat lower in the arms.

What they don't get is I added 70lbs to my frame with ZERO cutting, of course I'm not going to have much shape or be defined. Isolation movements won't help that either, cutting will. That's all.

Thanks for the compliment though.

schmitty199
02-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Wow looking built! Huge difference in the arms.. like night and day. Keep up the good work!

Detard
02-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I didn't mean for it to sound like I said they're useless either, and I don't think I did, but those idiots are telling me my arms have no shape and if I started doing for isolation exercises it would magically "cut up" my arms. If I started doing tons of curls trying to hit my biceps from every angle it's not going to shape a damn thing, nor is it going to seemingly make my bodyfat lower in the arms.

What they don't get is I added 70lbs to my frame with ZERO cutting, of course I'm not going to have much shape or be defined. Isolation movements won't help that either, cutting will. That's all.

Thanks for the compliment though.

Ahhh I see what your saying now. Agreed

BULK_BOY
02-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Solid work there berfles. Congrats on the progress. Keep going mate. ;)

Painzer
02-26-2009, 08:15 PM
seriously awesome man. I'm jealous.

BFGUITAR
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I am quite jealous of your metabolism to be honest. I don't mind stuffing my face at all (the only problem I have is finding time to eat, the actual act of eating isn't a problem). I put on fat quite easily, I have gained about 65 lbs since I have started and I had to cut once (Im a bit taller than you at 205 or so right now). I will start losing weight again now to get more lean. You don't realize how lucky you are :P I don't know if that is your current total or not, but we are quite close. Makes for some good competition lol.

berfles
02-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I am quite jealous of your metabolism to be honest. I don't mind stuffing my face at all (the only problem I have is finding time to eat, the actual act of eating isn't a problem). I put on fat quite easily, I have gained about 65 lbs since I have started and I had to cut once (Im a bit taller than you at 205 or so right now). I will start losing weight again now to get more lean. You don't realize how lucky you are :P I don't know if that is your current total or not, but we are quite close. Makes for some good competition lol.

I don't feel lucky at all, I hate 98% of food out there right now and force myself to eat every meal. I wish I could like food again but I doubt that will ever happen, I'd switch metabolisms in a heartbeat.

cphafner
02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
great job. You look bigger than 200!

BFGUITAR
02-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't feel lucky at all, I hate 98% of food out there right now and force myself to eat every meal. I wish I could like food again but I doubt that will ever happen, I'd switch metabolisms in a heartbeat.

Hahaha well perhaps I am not jealous of your appetite :p
I don't think I could ever eat enough to not like food. A bagel with butter will always sound yummy!

berfles
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Hahaha well perhaps I am not jealous of your appetite :p
I don't think I could ever eat enough to not like food. A bagel with butter will always sound yummy!

*Barfs*

I'm about to eat some Burger King food since it was a weird night tonight, and I just got done eating brown rice. I'll be lucky if I get through the damn chicken sandwich.

Then I have a 1600 calorie shake to look forward to! MMmmmm

Thanks cphafner. I must admit, I look bigger in that picture than I thought I would, or think I do. It's camera trickery probably ;)

Steven001
02-27-2009, 05:31 AM
You certainly caused a stir over there, didn't you! :D Half of them don't seem to know what they're talking about, and probably have completely different goals from you anyway. Whatever... the transformation is amazing.

berfles
02-27-2009, 08:34 AM
I did, but it was really only the two. A couple actually agreed with me, which surprised me.

Painzer
02-28-2009, 09:44 PM
BTW, when you gonna hit that 300 bench? Better not let me beat you to it!

berfles
02-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Eh, I'm already there, it's just not official yet :) I'll max out again soon and get it on tape, too much stuff going on right now to really prepare for it. Maybe next Saturday.

foodist
03-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys.

EDIT: I made the mistake of posting this at BB.com too and had some 160lb guy tell me my arms "had no shape" and to "use isolation exercises to shape my arms" :scratch:

Dude, wheres the thread on BB.com? I feel like flaming the guy. (lol, i wont, but i am curious as to what jealous douchbag would say something like that)

You look AWESOME. Right now im about where you were in the "before" so... if i could get where you are in the "after" i would be... freakin thrilled. Im like you in the metabolism sense, but i guess im paranoid about fat gain, but it looks like you don't have that problem, which is encouraging.

Inspirational for "before" types like me!

Kong
03-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Props on the great progress mate

Mercuryblade
03-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Wow, you've put on some good clean mass. You're going to look completely shredded when you do a cut.

10.5 Dave
03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Looking good.

chris mason
03-04-2009, 09:50 PM
You have done a great job!

cichlidfort
03-05-2009, 12:00 AM
I don't feel lucky at all, I hate 98% of food out there right now

Haha. Do you think people are going to invent some new types of food?

But good job on the bulking up part. Time to get cut. Cutting should really shape up your arms.

berfles
03-05-2009, 09:06 AM
I have 19lbs to go before I cut. I don't want to be below 200lbs lean after it took me this long to finally get to 200lbs.

pinhead666
03-05-2009, 05:12 PM
impressive change

DaRican
03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
you def got ur husky on bro. And small shirts make u look bigger so dun get bigger ones lol

TheVrolok
03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Looking good. That's great progress.

spursguy123
03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
You look awesome man. What was your diet like?

xtian
03-11-2009, 02:55 AM
impressive work sir. i wanna be as big as u one day.

jsarver
03-11-2009, 03:50 AM
I have about the same body structure as you. My biceps infact look almost the same as yours. I have alsways been disappointed with my biceps because they seem to gain mass but never seeam to peak nor look like the typical bodybuilders biceps.

Maybe this part of my post should be put somewhere else, but you already started the discussion somewhat. I have read this forum for a while now and silently took the advice of many here. I started with nothing but heavy 5x5 compound lifts and shunned isolations. What I have learned since I have been here, is to never follow any one source of advice whole heartedly without scrutiny. Whereas I don't deny that the people here have seen progress with the routines they preach, I absolutely have reached the conclusion that this forum has become one which perpetuates the same knowledge passed down from one "guru" to the next with not much thought. I won't deny that I gained a considerable size with this advice, but what I will say is that you will never find a natural body builder that has recognizeable fame within the natural body building culture that will 100% agree with all the advice here. I have seen professional body builders offer routines on both extremes of routines, whether it be 8x8 nothing but isolations, or 5x5 compound only lifts, I have learned that for me and most likely many others it is fair to say "Let's meet somewhere in the middle", or maybe "I'll try this routine and then switch it up with the other once it becomes stagnant to me".

I have since started following the afformentioned 8x8 isolation only routine modifying lifts to make sure I 100% isolate the targeted muscle. Contrary to most people here I have noticed gains in different areas that weren't necisarrily gaining so much before. That could be due to switching up the routine and my body needed the change to break the ice, whatever it may be, this has worked well for me. Infact I am actually noticing an improvement in my biceps and chest even.

Like I said before, I fully believe that the advice here is good, but sometimes I feel it is a bit overbearing. I feel that there is not much open mindedness to alternatives here. I have come to the conclusion that not one method is best, and not one person has all the answers. This should have been obvious to me, but I was looking for answers and I came here and believed everything I was told. I feel that this is detrimental to newbies looking for helpful advice for the long run, not necisarrily for start up advice. To sum this up I am going to post an example that does not necisarrily reflect my 100% point of view on bodybuilding, but it does give some insight into a different training method being passed along by a person who I feel is qualified enough to give advice. The way this guy talks about routines, and the way people here talk about routines makes you wonder why anyone ever follows extremes. Both think that their respective methods are the answer, but I feel it lies somewhere in the middle, or atleast with balance and moderation.

www .vincesgym.com/pages/ultimate_decision_bodybuilder_weightlifter.htm

Edit: Had to put a space in the link because I apparently cannot add urls to posts yet.

berfles
03-11-2009, 07:48 AM
I'm all about finding what works for me as well, I only take what I read here as guidance and try everything for myself to form my own opinion. I used to do sets of concentration curls and EZ bar curls once a week and never saw a difference between that and what I'm doing now. I think my arm looks fine when I flex it, I don't really care what it looks like unflexed while I'm carrying some fat. I guess we'll see when I cut how it looks unflexed.

Just for reference here is a crappy webcam shot from a month or two ago.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/StillCap0003.jpg

I think with less body fat that will look really good.

_8_Ball
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Does this kid remind the old timers of BCC back in the day, not as freaky but close.

BTW, when I say "kid" it's no disrespect, I'm just sad that I'm old and fat now. :( lol.

And in case you don't know who BCC is/was, it's a compliment.

Mike G
03-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Great progress, especially for someone who couldn't gain weight.

Does this kid remind the old timers of BCC back in the day, not as freaky but close.

Not sure what time frame you're looking at, but not to me. Maybe back in the day, as in when you first signed up, but not the BCC when I joined. Still, it's great progress and it's clear Berfles has put in a lot of hard work.

_8_Ball
03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I was talking WAY back in the day.

Anyways, I don't want to de-rail your thread man.

Great progress, arms and traps/back seem to have improved the most.

Good job!

berfles
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys. I kind of know who BCC is, someone directed me to him about my leg progress. I didn't look at all his pictures though.

snikez
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
dang man. How long have you been working out total so far? You look like one of those guys that no one messes with.

berfles
03-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I got my power rack in October of 2007, so that's when I count my starting time because that's when I got serious. Until then, I was working out on a stupid standard all in one bench (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/DSCN6764.jpg), not squatting and not deadlifting because I was a pussy. I was basically benching and doing shoulder presses and arm work. Things sure have changed :)

So seriously lifting about 1 year 5 months.

igotmines
03-21-2009, 09:48 AM
big difference

berfles
04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Thought I'd bump this back up rather than make a new thread for one more comparison.

Not quite the same pose, but eh.

snikez
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
so how much weight did you gain per week during your bulk? Was it a slow one or a fast one? Btw, I'm sure you've heard this a lot but that looks like a ton of progress to be made in a year and a half.

berfles
04-17-2009, 03:42 PM
so how much weight did you gain per week during your bulk? Was it a slow one or a fast one? Btw, I'm sure you've heard this a lot but that looks like a ton of progress to be made in a year and a half.

The only bulk I can do is a slow one because of my metabolism. I'm not sure how many pounds I gained per week but I remember gaining from 1-3lbs most times. It varied almost every week, sometimes I'd gain less than a pound and other times I'd gain 3 pounds.

I also updated the picture on the previous page so they're side by side.

Big Jay
04-17-2009, 06:57 PM
lookin THICK
awesome progress

foodist
04-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Thought I'd bump this back up rather than make a new thread for one more comparison.

Not quite the same pose, but eh.

WOAH, thats the most impressive change i may have ever seen. Seriously, thats crazy, you're huge now! awesome job dude! Hope to follow you on that road. How bumpy is it? haha.

berfles
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
WOAH, thats the most impressive change i may have ever seen. Seriously, thats crazy, you're huge now! awesome job dude! Hope to follow you on that road. How bumpy is it? haha.

Thanks.

The road isn't paved, there's land mines strewn about, and the occasional gunship guards it.

It's interesting to walk on though :)

The Bran Man
04-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks.

The road isn't paved, there's land mines strewn about, and the occasional gunship guards it.

It's interesting to walk on though :)

Quotes like this are what makes training great

mattburns
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Very impressive mate, arms are massive!

-JM-
04-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Berfles, you look like you could bench ~400 never mind 300. Nice work man.

berfles
04-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Berfles, you look like you could bench ~400 never mind 300. Nice work man.

Haha thanks man. I'd be well over 300 if not for my stupid mental block with anything past that. I need to figure out a way to get over that hump. I'm going to build some boards to do board presses so I can get used to feeling the heavier weights. I should be able to bench close to 325-330 but something just shuts down whenever I try anything more than 300. I mean for ****'s sake, I'm going to be repping 290lbs in my workout this coming week, and yet the most I've done in a single is 300.

snikez
04-30-2009, 07:26 PM
one other question berfles: have you just been on one continuous bulk cycle or have you gained weight and then lost back and forth?

berfles
04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
I've been bulking since I started. I couldn't afford to lose weight purposely, hell it happens when I'm trying to bulk. 8 more pounds and then I'll consider cutting for the first time, and I can't wait to start.

danisleet
04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
whats the measurement on those biceps?

berfles
04-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Around 17 3/8" I think. Pumped they're just over 17.5".

Pav
04-30-2009, 11:43 PM
damn bro.. looking huge!

Blade55
05-01-2009, 05:23 PM
*Barfs*
Then I have a 1600 calorie shake to look forward to! MMmmmm

What's the recipe for that thing?

killxswitch
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Dude you went from fit guy to GI Joe action figure! Looking good man, it must be satisfying to put in the hard work and see seriously excellent results like this.