PDA

View Full Version : Coming back from a hernia...

I.Believe
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone had one and came back to competitive powerlifting? Been lifting 15 years and finally got one. Doc says no lifting for 6 weeks :tuttut:

Ben Moore
02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Umbilical or Inguinal?

I.Believe
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Inguinal. Really suprised after all these years....

Ben Moore
02-26-2009, 01:49 PM
The doc will tell you six weeks, but I was back in 2 from mine. Just really really light. Start taking some vit c and extra protein to help speed recovery and you may even look into getting some arnica gel to help with the swelling.

It's not easy but it's doable - I had mine back in 2001. I've turned pro at one time in strongman, totaled 1695 raw and totaled 2031 geared all after that.

ELmx479
02-26-2009, 03:32 PM
I had one in December 2007 and I could not do anything for 3 weeks and finally was back to normal after 6 weeks. I was not into lifting heavy back then, just being in shape for a sport but I have always liked to dead lift. I was really afraid to do them at all and it took me a few months until I worked up to doing them again. Everything has been fine ever since and I hit a new PR on dead lifts 2 weeks ago.

I.Believe
02-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. It has been 10 days post Op today. Laproscopy procedure. No brusing and swelling is almost gone. I can stand up straight and have had no issues walking anytime post Op. I had the patch put in the inside of the hole. This is supposed to be better. I just wanted to know if anyone came back competitively without complication. I realize everyone is different. :strong:

Kenny Croxdale
02-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Anyone had one and came back to competitive powerlifting? Been lifting 15 years and finally got one. Doc says no lifting for 6 weeks :tuttut:

I had one about 14 years ago.

How fast you come back depends on it they perform a laparoscropic surgery or have to cut you open.

If you have laparoscopic surgery you be back quickly.

If they cut on you, it's going to take 6 weeks. I guarantee it.

Kenny Croxdale

ELmx479
04-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I have some soreness where I got my surgery. Mainly when I move a certain way or push on the area. It is not bad or very painful. I am just concerned about it. I did dead lifts and sit ups a few days ago so this maybe the cause? Anyone else have this? It has been 16 months since I had it done.

JK1
04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It has been 10 days post Op today. Laproscopy procedure. No brusing and swelling is almost gone. I can stand up straight and have had no issues walking anytime post Op. I had the patch put in the inside of the hole. This is supposed to be better. I just wanted to know if anyone came back competitively without complication. I realize everyone is different. :strong:

Its been mentioned, but I'll say it again. The key factors are 1) type and size of hernia and 2) if its laproscopic or "open" repair.

I blew out an umbilical hernia when I was doing my residency about 3 1/2 years ago. It was a stupid injury, because I did it pulling linoleum off my kitchen floor. At first I thought I could just work through it, but when the thing doubled in size after a light squat workout, I figured I better get it fixed.

I told the surgeon point blank that I was a powerlifter, I wanted a repair done that could withstand the forces of me squatting 900 lbs or more. We went back and forth on the virtues of a lap proceedure vs an open mesh and I finally won with the mesh.

I have to say, I've broken bones, tore ligaments, been stepped on and bitten by everything from an elephant to show cattle to a mountian lion, given myself too many stitches to count and that damned hernia repair was hands down the most painful surgery I've ever had. I spent the first 4 days flat on my back dreading the next time I had to use the bathroom. It seriously sucked to laugh for the first week. I had problems with abdominal cramps for months after the surgery. The surgeon told me I developed some mild adhesions secondary to the mesh. I hate to think what major adhesions would have felt like.

That said, I was back in the weight room in just over 3 weeks. I was squatting relatively light at ~6 weeks after the surgery. It took me about 6 months of slow steady progression to get to the point where I'd get under the bar without a problem (cramps). I did a RAW bench contest a little over a year after that repair and a full meet 2 years later. Honestly, I could have come back sooner but during that time I also moved across country, sold my house in Columbus, started a new job and had a bunch of other outside circumstances that made me more conservative. I simply didn't have time for another surgery.

JK1
04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I have some soreness where I got my surgery. Mainly when I move a certain way or push on the area. It is not bad or very painful. I am just concerned about it. I did dead lifts and sit ups a few days ago so this maybe the cause? Anyone else have this? It has been 16 months since I had it done.

Like I wrote above, I had MAJOR problems with severe abdominal cramps post umbilical hernia repair. Any sort of repetative hip or low back movement resulted in my lower abs cramping to the point of me doubling over.

I was told by the doctor it was "mild adhesions".

I got over it by doing standing band abs with a double miniband every other day at lunch. I'd go into the x-ray room, hand a miniband from the roof access ladder and do 3-5 sets of standing abs. Basically I started doing them until I'd just feel the muscles start to crawl like they did before they cramped, then I'd stop, rest a couple of minutes and repeat. At first I could get 9 and then I'd spend some time lying on the table or on the concrete floor trying not to cry.

I eventually worked up to sets of 25-30 with two doubled minibands without any problems.

Depending on the type of repair you had, you might feel a slight "pulling" or "twinge" from time to time because of scar tissue formation. Its not a big deal unless you get a sharp pain or a sharp pain with a "release". If there was no mesh placed, there is always a risk of tearing the repair site if you stress the muscles.

DrDudley-Robey
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Taking a little time off wont hurt you and might save you from blowing out the repair before it is fully healed. think of it as a post-comp break!

ELmx479
04-06-2009, 05:42 AM
I got the mesh in mine. I don't have any cramping or sharp pain. I just have some soreness. I will see what the doc has to say when I call.

PeteTheGreek
04-07-2009, 08:28 PM
that damned hernia repair was hands down the most painful surgery I've ever had. I spent the first 4 days flat on my back dreading the next time I had to use the bathroom. It seriously sucked to laugh for the first week.

Agreed. I had an inguinal hernia repair years ago. I was sliced open, about a four inch scar. When I woke up in my room I was one pissed off mother scratcher. The Democratic National Convention was on in my hospital room and I was cursing the TV. Went I went home I tried to watch an Archie Bunker re-run and I had to turn off the TV because it hurt to laugh. If I felt a sneeze coming, I covered my nose because I thought for sure I would blow my insides out. I couldn't stand up straight for three days.

I didn't do anything for 4 weeks and then started working back slow. It took about 6 months to get all my strength back but it was a good break from heavy lifting. There were times in the beginning when I thought I reinjured it but I haven't had any problems since and it's been over 20 years.

vdizenzo
04-08-2009, 05:29 AM
I had an umbilical hernia. It was repaired with mesh. I layed supine for two weeks as much as possilble. I slept on the couch for fear of moving around. I was back in the gym at four weeks and was just about full speed at 6. However, I was not squatting and deadlifting at the time. Take it easy and let it heal up as much as possible. Good luck.

Beefcaker
04-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a hernia right now. Umbilical. But I've had that thing for a while. I have worked through it for quite some time now. I think the first pulling feeling started about 2 years ago. I didn't know what it was until a few months ago, and I've just been more worried about my herniated disk that I got in November and recently re-injured and/or aggravated.

vdizenzo
04-09-2009, 05:41 AM
I have a hernia right now. Umbilical. But I've had that thing for a while. I have worked through it for quite some time now. I think the first pulling feeling started about 2 years ago. I didn't know what it was until a few months ago, and I've just been more worried about my herniated disk that I got in November and recently re-injured and/or aggravated.

Just wait until you strangulate that bad boy. There will be no working through that pain. When I saw the Doc, he said he had to check something and push it back in. I told him I would have to punch him in the head. He laughed, I did not. He pushed it back in and I sure as heck wanted to deck him.

Beefcaker
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that seems to be what I'm hearing form others that have had hernias. There was a couple months where it was really hurting horribly, and I couldn't even take any pressure at all being put anywhere near the area. Now it just hurts in the exact area. I haven't been able to lift heavy a whole lot lately, so I'm sure I will find you to be correct once the time comes... :(

edit- I have noticed that it's hard for me to keep my core tight now. I have to use a belt on bench now just to keep tight. It's kinda weird

JK1
04-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Just wait until you strangulate that bad boy. There will be no working through that pain. When I saw the Doc, he said he had to check something and push it back in. I told him I would have to punch him in the head. He laughed, I did not. He pushed it back in and I sure as heck wanted to deck him.

yup and if you have one thats strangulated, you get peritonitis and may die if you don't get it fixed. Thats a worst case situation.

Mine hurt like a mother when anyone pushed on it. It wasn't strangulated---I pushed it back in and stuffed my belly button with cotton and duck taped everything in place while I was waiting to have the surgery. It worked, but every workout it was just a little bit bigger too.