PDA

View Full Version : Help me design a powerlifting routine

iForce Dave
02-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey guys,

I just joined this site and was looking for some help on putting a routine together. I have been bodybuilding (NPC) for about 2 years now, but really want to focus on powerlifting. It has always intrigued me but I never followed it.

The only thing is, I train solo. I dont have a lifting partner nor do I want one. I can get a spotter for max efforts, but I cant do something that must always have a spotter.

Anyone care to share a good basic routine that I could do on my own? My gym has all the equipment: power cages with adjustable lockout bars, Squat Racks, etc etc.

I have done some 5x5 and also did DoggCrapp for awhile, but never just straight up powerlifting. I read the stickies but dont really know where to start! West Side Barbell seems to be a great program, but I dont know exactly how to set up a program I can do on my own.

THANKS GUYS! I am looking forward to being a part of this board.

MarcusWild
02-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Why don't you want a training partner? Powerlifters almost always train in groups. Do you plan on competing raw or in gear?

rbtrout
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
I've never competed and probably won't. I train alone, but can get spotters, as well. I'd look into EFS and check out some of the basic pling routines over there.

Rusty
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
The best advice I can give you, is to go find a powerlifting gym.

You can start a basic template like:

Mon - ME squat
Wed - ME bench
Fri - DE squat
Sun - DE bench

Throw in supplementary work and accessory work after your major movements.

EFS also has a wealth of reading material that will tell you almost everythign you need to know.

slashkills
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Westside barbell is a great routine. Here is a link to help design a westside routine.
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html
it helped me a lot.

geoffsherman
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
5/3/1

Erik 23
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Ok for a routine Westside usually has two main Goals Maximum Effort and Dynamic Effort Days.For Maximum Effort Let's take the Bench Press for instance.Basically on this day you work up to a 1 rep max for your flat Bench.and you do this every week but its not always flat bench.

1 week it might be a floor press 1 week you might use boards 1 week you might use bands or chains.or one week you can do a Max effort pin press out of the rack. For your De day usually they do it 3 days later or some guys do it 3 days before there Max effort session i think it is after there maximum Effort Bench press. you will use percents to find your proper De Bench weight for example if your benching 300 or so you could use a calculator and enter in like 300 x 55% or so and that will come to 165 so you would use 165 lbs for your speed day or Dynamic effort day.

i should have mentioned with the percents guys usually use 50% 55% or 60% i dont think the westside guys go higher but im not sure. Anyway now when you use the 165 lbs basically you want to bench this for like 8 or 9 sets of 3 reps as fast as you can,your suppose to get the 3 reps in 3 seconds or less.and you wanna take about a minute between sets on this day.Your gonna wanna eventually order you some Monster mini bands or just mini bands for your Dynamic Effort day.

Hope i make any sense,lol Westside isnt really a program you just write down on paper its kind of i guess a individual thing we all use the same type of guidelines with Max effort and De day's but everyone tweaks the program a little i think to fit there individual needs.

evilxxx
02-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Eric23 made a good point on the last statement about everyone tweaking the program a little. With different body types the response in training will be diferent, when I switched to powerlifting I had 2 training partners and I started with a modified Westside style routine. On the same routine in 6months one of my partners went from 225 to 275 bench, the other one went from 200 to 235 and I went from 275 to 385 . And we did the same everything and had about the same diet, well we where overseas in a peace keeping mission so not much for a big variety of food at a military facility. So just the switch from bodybulding style to powerlifting is gonna hopefully give you good results fast.

Brodiesel
02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
I have no idea what your stats are, but it doesn't really matter. Go buy Wendler's 5/3/1, it's simple and effective.

iForce Dave
02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys!

Erik 23 helped me out a TON today over the phone, Thanks again Erik!

I am going to do the Westside Barbell split

Today I did my first "Bench Day" and it was great! It feels awesome to focus on moving heavy weight and worrying less about "pumping up" and doing lots of reps.

Sunday I will be doing my first "Squat day"

I will probably do my split like this:

Monday: DE Bench
Wednesday: DE Squat
Friday: ME Bench
Sunday: ME Squat

Look good?

I would like to do it like this because I have a pretty hectic work schedule and doing ME on the weekends will allow for a lot more recovery time to laze around and eat! lol

iForce Dave
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
also, how do you guys fit in back work?

I like to do rack deads, Pulldowns, and rows. I would assume I can do these on Squat days?

Dingus
02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Lat work is usually done on upper body days. Rack deads can be sed as assistance or as the max effort movement on the lower days.

Pete22
02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
also, how do you guys fit in back work?

I like to do rack deads, Pulldowns, and rows. I would assume I can do these on Squat days?

Upper back stuff is done on ME & DE Bench days (rows, chins, etc). Rack deads can be used as a ME movement on your max effort squat/deadlift day, or as a secondary assistance exercise after your main movement.

iForce Dave
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Upper back stuff is done on ME & DE Bench days (rows, chins, etc). Rack deads can be used as a ME movement on your max effort squat/deadlift day, or as a secondary assistance exercise after your main movement.

thanks guys, i had that all wrong then!

It just seems with a tired back my squats would suffer on the leg day to come.

NickW
02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
thanks guys, i had that all wrong then!

It just seems with a tired back my squats would suffer on the leg day to come.

Nah, you can actually do it however you want. Different things work for different people. I train back on its own day, and always do deads or rack deads on this day. My deadlift has come a long way in a short period of time doing it this way also.

Here is how my split will look after the arnold:

m-off
tues-bench (light/reps)
weds-shoulders
thurs-back/deads
friday-legs
saturday-bench
sun-off

for the past couple weeks I have been doing bench and deads on the same day once a week. This is due to my lifting in the animal cage at the arnold, initially I was told I would have to do them both on the same day one right after the other. This has since changed, but I had everything timed out for this so I just stuck with it.