PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift help.... again

fpr
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Been working hard to improve my form. Numbers are going up but I feel that my form still sucks.

One thing someone mentioned on one of my other videos from a while ago was that the bar seemed to be getting in the way of my knees/shins and was causing me to round my lower back -- that I'm not pulling straight up -- I definitely think this may be the case because when I lift I definitely feel a 'pull/strain' on my lower back. It's not that bad though.

I've been trying to stick my chest out more, straighten the lower back, etc. but can't seem to get it, unfortunately don't have the help of any experienced lifters either to guide me.

The 455 is a 40lb PR for me, but I feel like I had much more in me... didn't go for it because of the form.

Thanks for your comments and advice in advance! :strong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_5y-udGmuo

7_5y-udGmuo

Szust
02-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Something that helped me greatly was thinking about pushing my hips forward as leverage rather than focusing on pulling straight up. Also, make sure to push with the heels. That helps me keep nice, tight, and in form.

Ben Moore
02-28-2009, 05:10 AM
You're form is fine - one tip though - drop your hips and go instead of sitting in the bottom

fpr
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
You're form is fine - one tip though - drop your hips and go instead of sitting in the bottom

Is this because I'm expending energy squatting down like that -- I was doing that to try and reset my form and make sure it didn't get too sloppy.

So the 'strain' in my lower back is not from me rounding it, more-so because the weight is just heavy for me?

Any tips for the Clean & Press?

Kiknskreem
02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
For the deadlift, most importantly you need to get that chest up and set your arch.

Your set/start position could also use some work. Check out this video...

8u899wRnwqs

For your presses you need to have your elbows slightly in front of the bar at the start of the lift, get your torso under the bar, and shrug your traps up at lockout.

Xellarz
02-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Looks alright - but you're substituting lumbar hyperextension at the lockout for the glutes firing to complete hip extension. That's poorly worded...sorry

"Closely related to the stopping short flaw is that of lumbar hyperextension at lockout. In these individuals, rather than stopping short, they just hyperextend the lumbar spine to compensate for the glutes not firing to complete hip extension. In the process, the knees may bend a bit and the end result is a backward lean.

Again, the secret is to hump the bar and stand completely upright." - Eric Cressey

MBertrand
02-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I would like to see one video on how to deadlift where the guy actually lifts something heavy... I want to see them pulling 500 with a big arch... or going for a real one rep max with perfect form... I've never seen it... but my form could use a lot of work so I'll just shut up.

Live
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I would like to see one video on how to deadlift where the guy actually lifts something heavy... I want to see them pulling 500 with a big arch... or going for a real one rep max with perfect form... I've never seen it... but my form could use a lot of work so I'll just shut up.

True but if you aim for perfect you're form will fall closer to it I guess then settling for mediocre

BigTallOx
02-28-2009, 07:08 PM

OK, I'm sure others here will disagree, but my take on this is that if somebody pulls 600+, everybody says "wow his form was perfect", but if a beginner pulls under 315 ( for example ) with the exact same form, everybody would say his form sucks. Sorry, but I think it's true. Nobody's body mechanics is the same, and thus no two people will look exactly the same deadlifting. I think a big part of powerlifting is learning how your body generates power most efficently and how to apply it. Being 6'8" tall I'm sure my squat and deadlift is never going to look like most guys here, but I also don't think it means I have bad form.

Kiknskreem
02-28-2009, 10:04 PM

Did you watch the entire video?