PDA

View Full Version : Strongest on 3rd rep out of 4 benching

BigTallOx
02-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I've posted this here before, but not with a video. When I bench triples, my first rep is my worst. Many time I miss it, but then have no problems getting 3 after I miss the first. Many times my 3rd rep is the strongest. A video from this morning is below. If anybody has any ideas please let me know. And, if it really *is* only mental, any advice on how to overcome it would be appreciated. ( I'm recovering from a cold and wasn't 100% today, but it happens when I'm not sick too. )

YarTzhe8cBM

Travis Bell
02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's mental dude. The sooner you accept that the sooner you'll get better at your first rep. Watch how much slower you bring down the first rep, and then fall on the board the last inch. The second and third and following reps get smoother and you come down better and faster. It's really that simple.

Eric Downey
02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's mental dude. The sooner you accept that the sooner you'll get better at your first rep. Watch how much slower you bring down the first rep, and then fall on the board the last inch. The second and third and following reps get smoother and you come down better and faster. It's really that simple.

i was gonna say the same thing. stay tight.

BigTallOx
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Maybe I didn't word my post the best. I didn't mean to say that I was disagreeing with you saying that it's mental. I wanted people to see the video to basically verify that it is. OK, it's mental. Now hopefully that will help me over come it.

So, I wonder if not getting a lift off would help, or doing more of the lift off myself if somebody is lifting off for me ( since my arms are longer than the bench, I usually always get a liftoff, maybe that's part of the problem. )

4g64fiero
02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Having someone help me lift always helps, I dont think thats the problem. Just my 2 cents.

KingJustin
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not at all an authority on this, but one thing I always tell my spotter to do is to not lift-off too high.

If they lift too high then I lose my tightness. I start with my shoulders pulled back, and if the bar goes too high they come forward.

BigTallOx
02-28-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm not at all an authority on this, but one thing I always tell my spotter to do is to not lift-off too high.

If they lift too high then I lose my tightness. I start with my shoulders pulled back, and if the bar goes too high they come forward.

Maybe that's what's happening. Next saturday I'm going to experiment with this.

Travis Bell
02-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Maybe that's what's happening. Next saturday I'm going to experiment with this.

LOL look at your arms man! He'd have to lift pretty high to pull you out of groove.

BigTallOx
02-28-2009, 04:28 PM
LOL look at your arms man! He'd have to lift pretty high to pull you out of groove.

LOL, yeah I have long arms. I wasn't saying he's pulling me out of the groove, but if I did more of the lifting maybe I wouldn't loose tightness on the first rep.

Travis Bell
02-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Move that rack up then if you feel that's the problem. When you take it out of the rack, the bar shouldn't be more than 2 or 3in higher than the rack at full extension.

BigTallOx
02-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Move that rack up then if you feel that's the problem. When you take it out of the rack, the bar shouldn't be more than 2 or 3in higher than the rack at full extension.

That's impossible with this bench. Even with it on the top whole, the bar moves way more than 3". But your point is taken, I'll start raising up the rack.

SELK
02-28-2009, 05:07 PM
You may want to bench in a power rack if possible.. more room to raise the upright up.

I used to have a similar problem, I was scared of the weights and was bringing the bar down to slowly. Lots of overload work (board preses, reverse band presses etc) I think got me more confident with the weights and I no longer have the problem.

BigTallOx
02-28-2009, 05:15 PM
On a side note, here's the video of me warming up with my ME benching buddies. At one point somebody here ( I don't remember who ) said something about if they could see more videos of me benching maybe they could help with my technique. So here it is, any constructive advice will be appreciated... ( oh yeah, I'm the tall guy with the really long arms )

wcHM9Cw6P58