PDA

View Full Version : Power Clean Shrug Question

foth
02-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey,
When you guys go for the pull and shrug during the power clean, should you shrug it like you are doing a high pull?

Live
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
For me the shrug comes quite naturally. If i can keep the bar close to my legs and body throughout the lift and violently extend the hips as the bar shoots up I just naturally seem to shrug and my elbows seem to just whip around.

Once i managed to get the first and second pull down the third pull took care of itself.

The shrug as I understand it serve to almost pull yourself under the bar to rack it. Rather than pull the the bar further up.

A video of your Power Cleans could be helpful in critiquing your form

foth
02-28-2009, 01:56 PM
ok, ill see if I can get a video next time, members of the football team were helping me today, they say everytime I shrug it, I should be thinking of shrugging it into a high pull then getting right under it, my elbows are positioned way better by doing so, so ill try to get a video next time

foth
03-01-2009, 12:01 AM
if anyone else has input on this, it would be appreciated

Eric Downey
03-01-2009, 01:06 AM
ok, ill see if I can get a video next time, members of the football team were helping me today, they say everytime I shrug it, I should be thinking of shrugging it into a high pull then getting right under it, my elbows are positioned way better by doing so, so ill try to get a video next time

well put

ZenMonkey
03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Hey,
When you guys go for the pull and shrug during the power clean, should you shrug it like you are doing a high pull?

Since a highpull is suposed to resemble an O pull then yes. The drop under wont be as pronounced if it is a power clean. The shrug is there so you can pull yourself under the bar. the heavier you get the more its going to want to become a squat clean. Take a video.