PDA

View Full Version : Saying No to Sweets

chrissie
03-02-2009, 03:31 AM
The mission for me has just begun and I am determined to lose more than 30 pounds this month. Have consulted all the dietitians and nutritionists and have appointed a personal trainer to make me do the right exercises.
Problem is I have always been a great fan of sweets, be it desserts or the ice creams or a little bit of extra sugar in my tea. I know the cravings cant go away within a day so its a big challenge for me to deal with it. I simply wanted to know from the experiences of others should I completely refrain from them while I am on my weight loss mission or can someone tell me about the minimum intake that does not hamper my goals.

kingswoodlegend
03-02-2009, 05:06 AM
I think sweets have their place in a balanced diet.
I would say to maybe eat your favorite chocolate bar or something before a cardio session (for the simple carbohydrates to ensure your body doesn't enter the catabolic stages through your workout.) The theory is that fat does not burn during your cardio session but in the times following cardio.

I'd say that sweets late in the day is a deffinate no no....your body does not have a chance to burn these off and as such can be detramental to your weightloss goals.

As far as sugar in your tea, there are alternatives to surgar...now the first thing that springs to mind is those horrible tasting sugar free alternatives to sugar....like sucralose (splendaŠ) and aspartane (pretty much poison to the human body, however still legal to use in all our softdrink beverages!)....but this is the 21st century and there are much better alternatives, such as xylitol, this is honestly the best sugar alternative i have used, there is no weird chemical taste and it is derived from ethonol. This in my opion would be the best alternative (both taste and health wise).

The key to weightloss when it comes to sweets is moderation. Hope this has helped and good luck with your goals :)

VikingWarlord
03-02-2009, 05:36 AM
Hold on a second. 30 pounds THIS MONTH? Are you planning to hack off a leg or some ****?

I think sweets have their place in a balanced diet.
I would say to maybe eat your favorite chocolate bar or something before a cardio session (for the simple carbohydrates to ensure your body doesn't enter the catabolic stages through your workout.) The theory is that fat does not burn during your cardio session but in the times following cardio.

This is a good idea in theory.

In reality, it's not that easy. The craving is the result of some psychological association that needs to be broken...basically, an addiction. For some reason, it happens to women more frequently than men.

If you continue to feed an addiction, even in moderation, it won't die.

The key to weightloss when it comes to sweets is moderation. Hope this has helped and good luck with your goals :)

A nice theory, but typically if it was possible for some people to eat in moderation, they wouldn't NEED to know about weight loss.

dynamo
03-02-2009, 06:00 AM
I was 220 and about 30% BF back in the day and I enjoyed sweets all the time...mt dew and milky ways was my favorite past time. I think I was ready to lose the weight for one, but i also found that with all my running, eating unhealthy foods made me feel like crap. At the time I didn't actually lift weights so I wasn't worried about maintaining muscle mass. I ended up at about 170 lbs in 6 months and lost all cravings for sweets.

I would say concentrate on cardio, and when you have a craving try to shoot or a different type of food. Sort of reprogramming your craving. Instead of eating the bowl of ice cream, have a bar of chocolate that you will take small bites out of until you lose your craving, then quickly put the bar away. In the beginning I wouldn't worry too much about always being able to deny your craving, just make sure you're true to yourself and you can honestly say you've at least cut down on your sweets intake. Small steps at first, you'll find once you start seeing your body recomposing itself you'll gain motivation to step away from the sweets more often. Don't worry about how much you weigh either, just take notice in how you're losing fat.

bass slayer
03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Id say forget the sweets and go cold turkey on them but if you cant your going to have to do alot of cardio and eat less proportions. Im on a mission to go pop free and ive been doing good for a couple weeks so far. Every once in a while I get a huge craving for my favorite pops, but I just drink water instead. Really pop and sweets arent going to help your progress only make it worse, so what can you lose giving it up.

ZenMonkey
03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Try 30lbs in 4 months or 8 lbs in 1 month. I dont believe for a second that a dietician or nutritionist would give you the OK for 30 lbs in a month. If they did, then they need to be slapped HARD and their degree/cert taken away.

As far as sweet tooth goes... try ALNs choclate opticen when you get a craving. Its super tasty. As our friend Aristotle says:
"Virtue lies in moderation, and if you lie at the extreme then you must aim farther towards deficiency than to the middle."

dlew
03-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Id say forget the sweets and go cold turkey on them...
Yep. I'd also say to cut way back on the carbs. I find that, the cleaner I eat and the fewer carbs I consume, the less attracted I am to sweets.

kingswoodlegend
03-03-2009, 02:32 AM
A nice theory, but typically if it was possible for some people to eat in moderation, they wouldn't NEED to know about weight loss.

Yeah true, if only people could learn to "exercise" a little self dicipline and they'd be right! :)

alextiggs
03-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Yeah sweets are good , have some not in large quantity but be sure to concentrate on your diet , when you regain your desire body then eats as much as you can just remember that :)