PDA

View Full Version : Satiety soup...

VikingWarlord
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok, the idea behind this is to create a pre-meal soup that will help to stimulate gut hormones that keep you feeling satiated. Apparently, the idea is that if you can use a specially formulated lower calorie concoction as an appetizer of sorts, you will not only eat less at meal time but it'll actually slow down digestion and keep you satiated longer.

It's all based on some work that Built's been doing so she enlisted the help of some of her personal chefs.

Here was my jumping off point.

13.5oz can coconut milk
1 avocado, about 5oz diced
18oz peeled and diced Yukon gold potatoes, pre-boiled
16oz cooked and drained northern beans
2 cloves garlic
2T olive oil
1 cup chicken stock
2tsp Madras curry powder
2tsp ground cayenne
Salt

Finely dice garlic, then sweat in olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and avocado. Once avocado starts to break down, add the coconut milk. Slowly bring to a boil, add curry powder and cayenne. Add potatoes, simmer for 5-6 minutes or until potatoes start to break down. Add beans, stir in, let beans warm up, then smooth it all out however you'd like. Salt it to your own taste.

I didn't puree this, just took a potato masher to it. This actually has a consistency and texture a LOT like hummus. If you like that, stop here and enjoy. If you want it thinner and more soup-like, add the stock. Adjust the spicy level to your own taste too. As it is here, I used more cayenne and this bastard has some FIRE on the back end. Smells incredible and tastes like GOD.

This recipe gave me exactly 48 fl oz. For this purpose, I'm going to call 8oz a serving.

Per 1 cup serving:

344 kCal
21.25g fat
30g carb
5.25g fiber
7.3g protein

I had 2 cups of the stuff and 20 minutes later I'm very full. I need to work some on it but once I get things just right, this research may be VERY helpful to people who are cutting.

wontstop
03-04-2009, 09:05 PM
dude, im definately gonna bookmark this page. it sounds really good, and i really like the idea behind it.

J.C.
03-05-2009, 03:28 PM
If you're trying to create satiety then anything containing beans, lentils or pulses would be a very good way to go. The fat from the coconut milk would help you feel full and satisfied too.

Try it with different pulses, see what works.
If you want to take the time to use dried beans - which are much cheaper - then you can actually cook hem with a couple of teaspoons of chilli powder and they'll absorb the heat. Neat trick when using them in larger meals.

VikingWarlord
03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
It looks like I've struck gold. The first one I listed there was good, but this one's just MAGIC...for me, at least. I'm on an IF-style plan right now and have been eating 2C of this 20 minutes before my last meal of the day which is usually about 2 hours before bed, give or take. Coupling this method with a 25/400mg EC stack twice a day has resulted in an average of 12-13 HOURS of satiety.

1.5lb eggplant
4 Roma tomatoes (~4oz each)
1 onion (~8oz)
6 cloves garlic
3T Olive oil
5C chicken stock
1C lowfat sour cream
2tsp dried or 1T fresh Thyme
Salt
Pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the eggplant in thick slices, then halve the onion and tomatoes. Place on a baking sheet, brush vegetables and garlic on a baking sheet, brush with oil, lightly salt to draw out some moisture. Roast everything for about 40 minutes or until everything is starting to lightly brown.

Once done, take the skin off the eggplant and put the veggies and garlic in a pot, add the chicken broth and the thyme. Bring the whole thing to a boil, then back off and simmer until onions are tender, about another 40 minutes.

Puree the soup (or at least blend to very small chunks) and then mix in the sour cream. Add salt, pepper, or whatever to taste. I added some cayenne, though I put it in everything.

For the pot (8 cups of soup):
1,058 kCal
70.6gF (22.8g Sat, 6.6g Poly, 38.1g Mono)
97.2gC (32.4g Fiber)
23.7gP

For some reason, pureed (or otherwise homogenized) foods make a huge difference. It doesn't have to be completely smooth, some small chunks are allowed but try to keep them no more than pea-sized. Adding something that contains capsaicin is important too, since that particular wonder-drug seems to increase stimulation of postprandial cholecystokinin...the fun hormone that kills appetite and slows gastric emptying to keep you fuller longer.

Brad08
03-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Adding something that contains capsaicin is important too, since that particular wonder-drug seems to increase stimulation of postprandial cholecystokinin...the fun hormone that kills appetite and slows gastric emptying to keep you fuller longer.

****ing science soup and ****!

VikingWarlord
03-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Hey, I just piggyback off the stuff other people do. But if it helps me not hate life while trying to cut, I'm all in!

mattburns
03-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Interesting stuff here mate, it seems from some of your posts on food threads you love your food and like myself, find not stuffing your face when cutting an issue!

This could be a big help.

VikingWarlord
03-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I absolutely do love it. Being in the kitchen is almost like meditation and I can't turn down a challenge. I watch a lot of Food Network cooking challenge shows like Chopped, Iron Chef, and FN Challenges. Hell, I'm watching a DVR episode of Chopped as I type this.

That's what a cut is really, being challenged to live in a box. There are specific requirements to meet, things you can have, things you can't have. There is no damn reason it can't be done with style. Some people are content to eat poached chicken breasts, tuna, and protein shakes in water 6 times a day. **** a whole lot of that.

I have a couple other people using this same recipe and they're reporting results similar to mine.