PDA

View Full Version : Question for the deadlifters out there

Hazerboy
03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I pull conventional, but lately I've noticed a lot of great pullers will use a super narrow stance. Sgt. Rock, If I'm not mistaken, when you're not pulling sumo you do this. I usually pull with a shoulder width stance as shown below.

TPNp0rEzjlM

This was about a year ago at a meet in chicago.

QPZQvCSygrQ

last summer.

For any of you more advanced pullers, would you recommend I try a narrower stance? How does a narrower stance allow you to pull more weight? I feel like it would increase the range of motion.

I gave it a try today while doing speed deadlifts and really liked it. I have a meet coming up in two months, though I'm reluctant to change my form, even this far out. Whadaya think?

Ben Moore
03-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Test it out and see. You're far enough out to be ok

Brian Hopper
03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
It's definitley worth trying. I think you really need to try it under heavy weight to see if you still like it.

SGT ROCK
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Im actually a better conv puller than sumo. When I pull conv it is fairly narrow. Like anything else try it and see how it works and remember, the wider the stance, the wider the grip, the longer the pull. Keep your stance fairly narrow unless you have other factors ie SHW, injuries, super wide shoulders etc. Try and keep your feet a bit norrower than shoulder width, hands JUST off the smooth part but totally on the knurling, toes slightly out.

Semper Fi

MarcusWild
03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I switched to narrow after seeing Konstantin videos. It worked for me.

rbtrout
03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I'll have to try that, with the narrower stance. I've always pulled slightly wider than shoulder width.

WILD BILL
03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I just recently changed to sumo but when I did conv and when I still do conv my feet might be 6in apart. Its really really narrow.

KarstenDD
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm a fan of the Mike Ruggiera method. Not quite conventional, not quite sumo, all the way awesome.

SELK
03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Im not a great puller, but with a little wider stance I can get my quads a little more involved at the bottom of the lift. My stance is feet around 10-12 inches apart, toes slightly out.

sambone
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Im actually a better conv puller than sumo. When I pull conv it is fairly narrow. Like anything else try it and see how it works and remember, the wider the stance, the wider the grip, the longer the pull. Keep your stance fairly narrow unless you have other factors ie SHW, injuries, super wide shoulders etc. Try and keep your feet a bit norrower than shoulder width, hands JUST off the smooth part but totally on the knurling, toes slightly out.

Semper Fi

That's exactly how I pull.