PDA

View Full Version : This weeks squats - advice needed

huskybear
03-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey folks... here are some more video for my squats from tonight... they are from the front so hopefully they are better for getting advice...

This week was 3x3 and only got the last 2 sets on video which will be amusing

The 275x3 was better this week, but as you'll see I got owned by 295... without further delay here are the videos...

iYF-0BRkUlw

rbGvOkdw8po

laughter and help all welcome... thanks folks!!!!

=Travis=
03-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Push your knees out, they're coming in right out of the hole.

TUEFELHUNDEN
03-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Looks a bit high to me. It's also hard to tell from the front but it looks like your leaning forward quite a bit. Kind of like your rocking forward onto your toes. Try to push your heels into the ground. What might help with the depth (I found it helpful at least) is to use a lighter weight to get used to the correct depth, like on your warmups, and set the spotter pins at a height where you are hitting parallel right when you actually hit the pins. This helped me a lot to get a feel for how deep I need to get. I couldn't do nearly as much weight but if you don't do them correctly you won't make the gains. Once I got over my ego it worked very well.

It might just be the angle of the camera though. Hard for me to tell.

Lones Green
03-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Yeah your knees came in right out of the hole. Try to push them out as hard as you can the entire time. Sometimes I use a doubled mini band around my knees when squatting, be it speed work or whatever, it'll make you accentuate keeping your knees out and will carry over to your regular squat

BULK_BOY
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Have you tried more of a conventional stance? Are you more comfortable with a Sumo stance. Your hips look weak to me. You might do better with Conventional.

Just saying.......:)

KarstenDD
03-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Have you tried more of a conventional stance? Are you more comfortable with a Sumo stance. Your hips look weak to me. You might do better with Conventional.

Just saying.......:)

That really isn't a wide stance at all.

OP, start with your hips instead of your knees, drive your head into the bar, and force your knees out.

vdizenzo
03-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Lift your big toe up in each shoe in order to stay on your heels. Force your knees out. Most importantly, sit back. You are sitting straight down. That's a no no. Other than that they looked great :eek:

geoffsherman
03-03-2009, 08:07 PM
A couple of things that might be helpful:
- You spend a lot of time after you unrack the weight adjusting this or that. Your feet, the bar, etc. Take the bar out of the rack, one step back, the other foot back, deep breath, squat.
- It looks like you lose your tightness rightout of the rack and your upper back is rounded even before you start.
- Be confident brother, you have this in you!

huskybear
03-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Everybody THANK YOU!!!!

Lots of work to do here... looks like I'll start dropping the weight and doing 3x5 for a while, instead of 5/3/1 for the squats... work on form ALOT...

Appreciate you guys taking the time to look and comment... I'm weak all over lol and need to get my form down obviously...

So next week I'll video some more and see how it goes...

My plan will be warm ups with a mini-band around my knees to get my knees out and then moderate weight work sets to work on staying on my heels, sitting back, and breaking at the hips... also work on my set up so I can just step back and hit it to proper depth...

also looks like a heavy dose of squat RX this weekend too...