PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

DanielB
03-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Been drinking straight black coffee in the morning and it's boosted my energy level. Is 2 or more cups a day bad for ya. I don't want to become addicted to it.
Thanks for the help in advance!
Daniel

VikingWarlord
03-03-2009, 10:34 AM
It takes a lot more than 2 cups a day to form an addiction.

Pete22
03-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah wayyy more than two cups to get addicted (brb making 2nd pot now).

Alcibiates
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Being addicted to caffeine is a pretty loose term nowdays, it's socially acceptable to have a caffeine addiction, really. You'll notice that if you miss a day, you'll end up having a headache at some point during the day (unless you're getting caffeine from something else, too, like a supplement. It may also be a bit harder to get out of bed in the morning, but it'll clear as soon as you drink your morning coffee.

But as far as being addicted to it in a negative sense, as most people would think about, there's nothing bad with two cups a day. If you ever want to stop you'll probably just get a moderate headache that some regular pain reliever can knock out, then nothing after that.

I'm kind of surprised that you aren't getting an afternoon crash with only having two cups in the morning, though... Are you drinking soda in the afternoon? Or do you have a supplement with caffeine? Otherwise, that's pretty surprising to me.

Mercuryblade
03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
What others have said.
I know people that drink 4-6 cups a day.

dlew
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Every doc that I know says to keep it to about a cup a day, if that. And, everything that I've read says that there's not a consensus about whether or not one or two a day is bad for you. On the positive side, there are quite a few anitoxidents in coffee.

3Day
03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Im drinking 10 to 12 cups a day.Can't say it has any bad effect on me.Im not addicted because in the summer time i usually only have 1 cup a day.Something about the cold.

Mercuryblade
03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Every doc that I know says to keep it to about a cup a day, if that. And, everything that I've read says that there's not a consensus about whether or not one or two a day is bad for you. On the positive side, there are quite a few anitoxidents in coffee.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/26/earlyshow/health/health_news/main1548221.shtml

dumbbell
03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I drink 4-6 cups a day. Not everyday, but most. If I don't have any on a given day it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I drink no soda, though. No addiction.

IMO most addictions are psychological.

Travis Bell
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM

If this is referring to ALL addictions, that is a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Your body does actually become dependant on stuff.

However, I think the risk for addiction to coffee is quite low. I probably drink at least 8 cups a day, yet I can go however long I like without drinking any and not have any problems.

The worst thing that happens if you become "dependant" on caffine is you get headaches when you go without it. If that happens, you just slowly ratchet down your intake and you're fine. No biggie.

dlew
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/04/26/earlyshow/health/health_news/main1548221.shtml
There have also been recent studies that show that coffee reduces blood flow to the heart, causes heart palpitations and increases blood pressure and stress. Granted, it can provide any number of benefits, but it's not without negatives.

Pete22
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM

Yeah I would have to disagree to an extent. Chemical addictions are very real and can be powerful and dangerous. However, I do think that once you detox or break that chemical dependance, then it does become a psychological issue (ex: smoking, benzos, etc.).

Anyway, does my Extra Large coffee from Dunkin' Donuts this morning count as 1 cup? :D

dumbbell
03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
If this is referring to ALL addictions, that is a pretty ridiculous thing to say. Your body does actually become dependant on stuff.

LOL. I did say MOST not ALL.

But I was referring to the psychological addiction being even stronger than the actual physical addiction in MOST cases. I haven't had a cigarette in over 12 years, but every now and then I THINK that I might like one. I was over the physical addiction after 3 weeks.

So, I think we do agree. ;)

roger4000
03-04-2009, 10:52 AM
i drink a lot more that 2 cups a day, and i don`t think i`m an addict.

you do need some coffee to get started in the morning, but i think that goes for every coffee drinker.http://grillyr.com/img/324/m08q1012dxmp/1x1transparent.gif

J.C.
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Caffeine - like many stimulants - is a very subjective drug. Some people are very sensitive to its effects, others not so much.

I drink a few cups of tea throughout the day (I am British...) but I generally only drink strong coffee once every couple of days. If I have it too frequently I become desensitized and get almost no effect. I reserve the espresso for a pre-workout boost if I'm feeling less than optimal. It makes a big difference!

DanielB
03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I guess I wasn't really meaning addicted to it lol. I was worried about getting the headaches from not having any because I already deal with cluster migranes about 2 times a month. Thanks for all of the great info though! You guys are a great group of body knowledge!:nod:

Ryno
03-12-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't remember what magazine I read this from but it was some fitness mag. It said that anything up to 2 cups is beneficial. Extra energy, increased metabolism, etc. But going beyond 2 cups starts a negative impact. You start to become dependent on coffee and without it you are always tired. For people with existing heart conditions, they can become worse because coffee elevates your heart rate. There were many other benefits and detriments listed. A visit to Google will probably find similar information to what I read.

BrainDed
03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Go with a half caff. Then you can drink 4 cups :)

Ben Moore
03-12-2009, 09:45 AM
There have also been recent studies that show that coffee reduces blood flow to the heart, causes heart palpitations and increases blood pressure and stress. Granted, it can provide any number of benefits, but it's not without negatives.

Just wait 5 minutes and it will be good for you again...remember what they used to say about eggs?