PDA

View Full Version : Derek Poundstone looks ready for the AC

Travis Bell
03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
NqBIo55FcDU

Holy balls Derek is stupid strong! It'll be sweet watching the strongman comp this year.

=Travis=
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
WOW - I wish the comp at the Arnold was televised.

Brian Hopper
03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
:omg:

TUEFELHUNDEN
03-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Sorry, but that looks like the sickest gym in the world!!

The lift was beyond rediculous though.

Ben Moore
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Unless you've ever lifted a heavy stone you can't begin to even comprehend that - That's a world record lift. I've loaded a 425 to about the same height and I couldn't imagine what a 565 must feel like on the arms and back. Truly impressive

Travis Bell
03-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Has anyone ever loaded a stone that heavy before?

That is just such a crazy lift. What amazed me as well was his endurance! He tries like 3 times to get it up over the bar and just keeps holding on to it!! moving it around til he positions it right. And then to even consider trying it again haha. Just amazing power

evilxxx
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
:omg: that is sick!

Ben Moore
03-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Has anyone ever loaded a stone that heavy before?

That is just such a crazy lift. What amazed me as well was his endurance! He tries like 3 times to get it up over the bar and just keeps holding on to it!! moving it around til he positions it right. And then to even consider trying it again haha. Just amazing power

He has some sick endurance for sure.

I've been out of the loop for SM for a while, but the heaviest I know of was Travis Ortmayer's 522 load. I think there was a European guy that had reportedly loaded a heavier one but I can't be sure. Tom might know.

=Travis=
03-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Steve MacDonald - 522# stone load at the Arnold two years ago

Ben Moore
03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Steve MacDonald - 522# stone load at the Arnold two years ago
I think somebody else has upped it from there even...

=Travis=
03-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I think somebody else has upped it from there even...

Last year's Arnold, Zydrunas repped a 525 for 3.

Day 2 would begin with the Manhood Stones. The largest stones used in any competition weighing in at 525 and 484lbs. Each athlete was given an attempt at the 525 and an opportunity to load the 484 if no successful attempt was made. This event would prove to separate the field and further our leader from the pack as Derek and Mikhail both loaded the behemoth stone for 1 rep each. Zydrunas would amaze onlookers with possibly one of the most incredible feats of strongman strength ever witnessed with 3 powerful reps with the 525. This would give him a 2- point lead over Derek with only 2 events remaining.

http://www.americanstrongman.org/articles/detail.asp?ArtID=271

Lones Green
03-03-2009, 03:20 PM
"You wanna do it again?! What the hell?"

LOL

That guy is insane. I have a 300 lb'r in my backyard. My buddy made it for me as a gift awhile back, I load it and unload it into the back of my truck occasionally. I can't even begin to imagine 555.

Tom Mutaffis
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
He has some sick endurance for sure.

I've been out of the loop for SM for a while, but the heaviest I know of was Travis Ortmayer's 522 load. I think there was a European guy that had reportedly loaded a heavier one but I can't be sure. Tom might know.

Travis Ortmayer did have the heaviest single and at the arnold last year Big Z hit the 520 stone for a couple of reps (3?).

Derek had the "viper stone" made for that reason, I believe it is a 21.5" diameter stone with a 300 lbs lead insert in the middle. His 555 lbs load is the heaviest documented atlas stone load out there!

There was a 600 lbs stone at a contest recently and Travis was there to attempt it but had some trouble with gripping the stone and was not able to lap it.

As Ben mentioned these numbers are simply unbelieveable. The average "strong" guy would likely not be able to load a 250 lbs stone the first time that they attempted it, and for experienced national level strongmen a 400 lbs stone is the benchmark for that being a "good" event for you. Going over 500 is world class and Derek's lifting lately has been simply amazing.

It looks like the Arnold is going to come down to Poundstone, Misha, and Ortmayer with a couple of other strong americans like Brian Shaw in the mix since Zydrunas (who has won for the past 4+ years) will not be participating.

vdizenzo
03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
What a chump. I mean seriously, he only did it once. He must have Marfans or something.

Jorge Sanchez
03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
What a ****ing beast. He just powered through that. I can't believe he had any left in the tank to try to load it a second and then third time.

Sensei
03-03-2009, 06:54 PM
That is just nuts. I have a couple that are probably in the 100kg range and they are plenty heavy for a guy like me. Amazing.

I wonder what the cardio crowd thinks when those boulders hit the ground. They must be used to it I guess with all those strongman implements there. Is that the Ironsport Gym in PA?

vdizenzo
03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
They must be used to it I guess with all those strongman implements there. Is that the Ironsport Gym in PA?

Retro in Waterbury, CT.

bill
03-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Maybe USA will have WSM back soon.

Jonah
03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
What a chump. I mean seriously, he only did it once. He must have Marfans or something.

Anything worth doing is worth doing once :)

abebesheir
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Retro in Waterbury, CT.

I watched the clips of Derek benching and doing seated presses. Where those done at Retro, too? Does anyone know how that gym is for powerlifting? Looks like a great gym!