PDA

View Full Version : Forearms achy and sore after squatting heavy

BigTallOx
03-04-2009, 11:47 AM
As I've posted in another thread, Monday night I squatted heavy and reached a big personal goal at squatting 500 pounds. But now the tops my forearms are achy and sore ( but the rest of my body feels great, even my hips which sometimes bother me after heavy deads and squats ). I would have never thought that my forearms would be a potential weak spot in squatting. Has anybody else experienced this? What's going on, is it a flexibility issue? Is it a placement of hands on the bar issue? Any ideas or advice will be appreciated.

geoffsherman
03-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Sometimes my forearms will be sore after a heavy squat session as well. I think the reason is because as I lift heavier, I grip the bar even harder in an effort to keep even tighter. I don't have particularly flexible wrists so maybe that is what causes it. Whatever it is, I have found that a good cue for me is to grip as hard as I can which enables me to keep my upper back tight and my lower back arched.

BTW, congrats on 500!

Brian C
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I had a problem similar before. I was experiencing aches in the inside of the elbow/forearm. I was told that I was gripping the bar way too close thus putting extra pressure on the tendons in the forearm. I was able to move my hands out a little and still stay tight and it did help.

BigTallOx
03-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I was told that I was gripping the bar way too close thus putting extra pressure on the tendons in the forearm. I was able to move my hands out a little and still stay tight and it did help.

Interesting. Maybe I'm gripping it closer than my forearms like, but given my long wingspan I can't go out any farther, or it would be illegal at the meet.

mike95763
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Honestly I think you are just too old :D Seriously though, the same thing used to happen to me, my forarms, wrists, etc would be very sore after squatting. I read somewhere that keeping your thumbs on the outside of the bar (like a suicide grip in bench) would help. I tried doing that and haven't had any problems since. I can show you what I mean on Saturday if you're interested.

BigTallOx
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Honestly I think you are just too old :D

I don't deny that, LOL.

I read somewhere that keeping your thumbs on the outside of the bar (like a suicide grip in bench) would help. I tried doing that and haven't had any problems since.

Interesting. On Monday, I noticed that Russ squats like that, I was wondering why but didn't ask him. I'll have to give that a try.

Lones Green
03-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Try the following:

Take the widest grip possible...I know damn well you have longer arms than I do, and If I don't take a super wide grip, my elbows and forearms are sore

Thumbless, some like that...suggested earlier

Pinky-less. I've heard Matt Rhodes mention that, never tried it but its something you could take a stab at.

Surely one of those will work for ya

Notorious
03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah, go thumbless and focus on keeping the wrists straight. That'll take off a lot of pressure from your wrists, elbows, and forearms.

rbtrout
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Thumbless grip, wrists straight and ultra-wide grip worked for me.

Chris Rodgers
03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Do you squat with a regular gym bar or a squat bar? The good squat bars are wider between the collars which allows the big guys to get their hands out further. I use a thumbless grip as well.

BigTallOx
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Do you squat with a regular gym bar or a squat bar? The good squat bars are wider between the collars which allows the big guys to get their hands out further. I use a thumbless grip as well.

I try to use the squat bar, but last time it was already being used. So I put collars on the bar inside the weights so it's about as wide as the squat bar is. It's not ideal, but it's better than a regular gym bar.

deeder
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I just skimmed through... but did anyone mention wrist wraps?? Do you currently use wrist wraps? If not, I would definitely suggest wearing them for squatting.

BigTallOx
03-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I just skimmed through... but did anyone mention wrist wraps?? Do you currently use wrist wraps? If not, I would definitely suggest wearing them for squatting.

One of my workout buddies suggested this as well. Next time I squat heavy, I'll definitely wear my wrist wraps. Thanks.

RAT
03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
i have this problem but it also hurts my elbow and biceps

deeder
03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
i have this problem but it also hurts my elbow and biceps

Stretch your pecs and do more bicep work.

smokinHawk
03-08-2009, 08:46 AM
could be high blood pressure, a friend of mine was having pains in his forearms after benching heavy, then later he was having the pains down his legs.
I would get your blood pressure checked just in case.
high blood pressure can damage organs pretty bad.

Sensei
03-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Already been mentioned, but a thumbless grip, holding the bar deep in the palm will reduce some stress on your wrists and grip.
Upper body flexibility would probably help.

i have this problem but it also hurts my elbow and bicepsMake sure that the sleeves are rotating freely and that the bar isn't bent. If those are fine, you probably need to take a closer look at how you are racking the bar - if the bar is slipping at all, your wrists, elbows, biceps, and shoulders are going to take a beating.