PDA

View Full Version : Unusual and unexpected DL PR tonight. How is this possible?

Mad Max
03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
The last time I attempted a max pull was two weeks ago when I pulled 475lbs in oly lifting shoes and a belt, which felt very tough.
Tonight I tried deficit deads off a 1"+ plate again in my lifting shoes with their raised heels. I managed to pull 500lbs totally raw with no belt, much to my surprise, and it was much easier than the 475lb pull from before, only the lockout was tough. In the past I've always gone for PRs barefoot with a belt, because I thought a flat sole or barefoot was the best way to drive from the heels and recruit hams/glutes more, but after tonight I'm just abit confused. I can only guess that the 2.5-3" deficit forced me to drive with my legs more allowing me to build momentum for the middle portion of the lift, but I dunno. I'm also guessing I don't know how to use a belt properly. I'm also 6'3.5" if that makes a difference.
Anyway I'm happy with the PR, and curious why this atypical technique is so effective for me.

RHarris
03-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Your guess may not be too far off. I've noticed that pulling from a deficit forces me to really focus on my starting position and to keep my hips down... generating and maintaining better leg drive like you say. Take that lesson back with you next time you pull off the floor. I'm a big believer in pulling from a deficit, but question the wisdom of using the o/l shoes. I try to focus on making sure my weight is on my heels for every rep of the deadlift, regardless of weight or starting position. The heeled shoes seem to be counter productive there, but you may have a different plan.

Bottom line is some nights the magic really works! Enjoy the PR and congrats.

Robert Harris
Las Vegas, NV

Eric Downey
03-05-2009, 12:36 AM
just build off it bro. teh first time i pulled 500 the bar was 3 in lower than normal. rh is right some nights are just better than others

Pete22
03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Congrats on the PR, the deadlift is an enigma for me at times as well. My bench and squat are usually within a predictable range for me depending on how I'm feeling. My deadlift on the other hand can be all over the place in training. I've pulled 600, but there are times when 455 will feel like a max effort pull and I'll leave the gym frustrated and confused. It happens.

rbtrout
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
^^^ Damn skippy. Squats are nearly always OK, but my deads can be all over, as well.

Great job on the PR!

Mad Max
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Well thanks for the responses guys.

RHarris, I've got to say the shoes are part of what help me get leg drive, and as you would expect I can feel my quads firing, which never happens in a flat soled/barefoot pull. Im also able to maintain a more neutral spine. I just find it difficult getting my hips down in flat soles, which is important for me as my arms aren't particularly long for my height.
Having said that I would like to learn how to pull better from the floor in flat soles. I also don't seem to be getting anything out of a belt, but I guess that's another story.

Regardless, I'm happy with the PR.

MBertrand
03-06-2009, 03:35 AM
Rippetoe just wrote an article about pulling where he recomended using shoes with a heel for more leg drive... so if you're pulling conventional it might be worth it to keep at er... if you're pulling sumo stay flat.