PDA

View Full Version : Beef Tenderloin

sdp
03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
I figured I would share since the meat is delicious and it is very easy to cook.

Go pick up a 'peeled' beef tenderloin. If it isn't peeled youre gonna have to remove the large amount of fat lining the one side. These can be pretty expensive, considering it is a 5.5 lb log of filet mignon, but sometimes you can find deals. I got mine at a local butcher for $4.99/lb. Costco recently had a sale on them for $6.49/lb.

Once the filet is there, and it is cleaned of fat if necessary, fold the tail end (you will know what i mean when you see it) underneath the one side. This just prevents it from burning. Peel some cloves of garlic. I used a whole bulb of garlic. Peel the cloves, slightly crush them if you feel like it and insert the whole cloves into slits made in the tenderloin. Leave this in room temperature for at least 30-45 minutes before cooking.

Preheat oven to 500F.

Insert beef (on a pan, uncovered).

Cook at 500F, 5 min per pound.

Shut oven off DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN. Leave in the oven for 45 minutes.

After 45 minutes is up, remove from oven and let sit for 15-20 minutes.

Slice and enjoy.

Thinner end will be medium and thicker end will be med-rare, rare.

Ben Moore
03-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Good stuff!

Don't forget her dirty swine cousin the Pork Tenderloin. My grocer has these on sale alot.

Brad08
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
That sounds great. I've never thought of doing a beef tenderloin although I do pork tenderloins like that quite a bit.

Irish Pilot
03-05-2009, 02:28 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/321421416_778e4cda62.jpg?v=0