PDA

View Full Version : 6' 135lb bulk question

jpw204
03-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Hello, I have learned a great deal from this forum over the past year. Now, I need some advice for a buddy of mine. He is 6' and weighs just 135 lbs. He wants to put some weight on, and eventually start lifting after he is back at a "healthy" weight. I told him his best bet is to eat everything in sight as well as hit the weights, but he insists on getting up to a decent weight first. (Decent "healthy" weight is all very arbitrary, i know).

Anyway, I recommended he start adding 800-1000 calories per day in the form of a shake and/or high-calorie foods like whole grain pasta/rice, eggs, whole milk, oats, whey protein, etc;

I think with just this increased amount of food, he should pack on pounds pretty easily for a while. I don't think he will look noticeably 'fatter' only because he is so terribly thin now.

My question is this, is adding 800-1000 calories per day going to achieve the desired results. We estimated his daily caloric intake last night at about ~1800 calories on most days.

Any help is appreciated. Also, if you need further information let me know.

Thanks,
J

whiteman90909
03-05-2009, 08:48 AM
1000 calories a day should be fine... that's like two lbs/week, which may be a lot for most, but this guys sounds like he's dangerously skinny.

jpw204
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
That's what I figured. He could use 15 lbs to start looking "healthy".

10.5 Dave
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I dont think your friend wants to lift.My experience with people is if they make silly excuses to not lift they really arent dedicated enough.I know several people like that and I just tell them when you're ready to put forth a serious effort let me know and I'll help you out.

J.C.
03-05-2009, 01:12 PM
When the guy's that thin he can eat whatever he wants. Start him off with a basic weights program - its not going to hurt - and just tell him to eat lots of whatever is around. I wouldn't obsess too much over ratios or anything, and yeah at that size a little extra fat isn't going to be a problem so plenty of high calorie foods. You know the drill: pasta, peanut butter, bread, red meat, whole milk...

There's not really any need to go counting calories at this stage, just get him used to eating lots more.