PDA

View Full Version : Old And Fat Means Heart Attack

Uncle Jake
03-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm about to turn 50 years young and after looking in the mirror recently, I have officially declared myself to be old and fat. In my youth, I was considered somewhat of an athlete. My greatest fear now, is that I will have a heart attack sooner rather than later. Therefore, I have vowed to start a diet and get back into exercising immediately!!! I will log my progress and include pictures documenting my transformation from a "Fat Old Guy" to a "Reasonably Healthy Mature Fella". Here's where I need everyone's help. I know that dieting, exercise and supplements are the keys to my successful development. However, I'm not sure of how to combine all these variables properly. There has to be a right way and a wrong way to go about this. I could sure use some helpful tips and suggestions on how to do this properly. For example: how many meals should I be eating per day, what is the best combination of foods and supplements and any other suggestions you may have. In addition any suggestions on a work out regimen for "Fat Old Guys" to help get me started would be great. I need some help here guys because basically I have know idea where to start. Thanks in advance for your help and support.

WillNoble
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM
honestly these 3 articles may help you... they may be designed for football, but they can help anyone...

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/60-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part1.html

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/64-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part2.html

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html

besides, Louie Simmons is still going strong at 60+ so should you!

dlew
03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Coming from a 45 year old, formerly heading towards fat guy's perspective, have you spoken with your doc and gotten clearance for weights? Assuming everything's ok, I'd concentrate on a major diet switch and start eating cleanly. Everything that I've read says that food consumption is the most important component of fat loss. Yep, that means lots of veggies, lean protein sources (egg whites, chicken breasts, etc...) and cutting out the processed sugars and white breads and pastas. Not fun at first but you get used to it and even begin to enjoy it...especially after you realize that you've lost 15lbs in two or three months!

Holto
03-08-2009, 08:45 PM
The nice thing is that starting raw, everything you do will have a major impact.

Focus on free weights and eating healthy. Then you can fine tune from there.

J.C.
03-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Don't rush into it. You don't want to get enthusiastic then burn out. Remember why you used to be considered an athlete, and remember why you enjoyed exercising. Make some small changes to start off with and enjoy the quick improvements in your energy, posture and well-being. A cleaner diet will result in some weight-loss immediately. To keep going, start a basic weight-training program and do some walking. Read everything on this website.

Other guys will help put together a routine and point you to other useful resources. Good luck!