PDA

View Full Version : Advice on solo ME Bench exercises

Brian C
03-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey all. I recently lost my training partner(moved) and dont have any other RELIABLE spotters at the World Gym I use. Honestly I dont trust most of them with big weights over me. I dont have any options of other gyms in the area to use that are better, so thats out. My question is what kind of ME bench exercises can I still perform safely w/o relying on spotters. Not having a handoff sucks, but I can manage 4 plates by myself but no much more. Reverse bandwork(my favorite) doesnt really seem doable since I cant really lift as heavy as I would like. All work is done in a cage w/ pins set for safety, but its the amount of weight im limited to thats holding me back. Plus no one to get my shirt on:( I guess I can get buy but I dont feel I can reach new gains. Im sure there are ways if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Lones Green
03-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Not having someone to help you is greatly going to hinder your progress. I would suggest finding a new partner, or teaching someone to handoff to you.

Pete22
03-08-2009, 10:59 AM
To do shirt work, I definitely need someone to help me get it on and hand-off. But you could still do all your raw ME work in the power rack and just set the pins accordingly (incline, close-grip, 2-3 board, floor press, etc).

Brian C
03-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Not having someone to help you is greatly going to hinder your progress..

Yeah thats my bigest worry. My gym is a bodybuilders gym for the most part and doesnt see any shirts except for a few guys. I dont even most know what a shirt is. I guess Im looking for some advice on progressing RAW or maybe an idea of a good ME bench routine by yourself.

Brian Hopper
03-08-2009, 11:57 AM
You can do rack presses for your lockout. But eventually your going to need a spotter, so I would suggest finding someone and teAching him how you like your hand offs, etc.

Travis Bell
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Unexperienced lifters simply cannot make very good progress by themselves.

Find a gym here - http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

Even on the pro level, the only person I've seen who makes huge gains by themselves is Mike Tuschere, who is just a nut anyways haha

dbc3po
03-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Shirt work will be out unless you have a loose shirt. But you can do all kinds of pressing raw with no spotter. My favorites when I was training alone were board presses reverse band presses, these were a good track of where my shirt bench was, floor presses. I have taken out over 700 by myself in a loose shirt with reverse bands and 600 straight weight. You will find a way as lo9ng as you want it bad enough. Def. try and find someone to train them. Right now its just 2 of us but we will have a crew this summer. Nothing beats a good crew.

Chris Smith
03-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Like Travis said, you wont make a whole lot of progress training by your self. If you have to travel an hour or so once a week to train with some like minded individuals, then do it. I currently travel about 50 minutes one way every Wednesday for ME Bench day. I used to travel 40 minutes 4 times per week, until I made my own gym. I would travel up to 1 1/2 hrs if need be. Once a week aint bad, then do your accessory stuff at your curent gym.

Lones Green
03-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah thats my bigest worry. My gym is a bodybuilders gym for the most part and doesnt see any shirts except for a few guys. I dont even most know what a shirt is. I guess Im looking for some advice on progressing RAW or maybe an idea of a good ME bench routine by yourself.

Ask to train with the guys in shirts. I've never seen a guy at my gym in a shirt.

Eric Downey
03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Unexperienced lifters simply cannot make very good progress by themselves.

Find a gym here - http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

Even on the pro level, the only person I've seen who makes huge gains by themselves is Mike Tuschere, who is just a nut anyways haha

really bro find a new gym.

Brian C
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the advice all. I'm determined to find a new gym then. Nothing is gonna stop my progress :)

Brian Hopper
03-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the advice all. I'm determined to find a new gym then. Nothing is gonna stop my progress :)

It will be worth it!

AlTep55
03-09-2009, 05:49 AM
Ask to train with the guys in shirts. I've never seen a guy at my gym in a shirt.

Please explain what WASDL is?

Thank you,

AlTep55

Travis Bell
03-09-2009, 08:47 AM
LOL it's a joke

Ben Moore
03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/gyms/iron-sport-gym

This is the only gym you'll ever need...

Ben Moore
03-09-2009, 09:25 AM
And again...
http://www.ironsport.com/