PDA

View Full Version : Westside Barbell Seminar

Travis Bell
03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
April 24-25, we'll be holding a seminar at Westside as well as lectures at the Courtyard Marriot. It's going to be a very very good seminar. Lou will be discussing some of the new principles that we have been putting into effect at Westside, Chris Mason will be talking about nutrition, Paul Childress (strength coach from Buffalo University and 308 record holder) will be speaking on application of Westside to his strength athletes and I believe we'll be having a multi national judo coach discussing application of Westside to martial arts as well. Check it out now, if you can make it, it'll be well worth it.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27178&d=1236552604

Price I believe is $250. If you want to take the test at the end of the seminar and receive the Westside Certification, it's $140 for the test.

I realize it's expensive, but it is seriously worth it. You will hear TONS of information said over the weekend. If you can't train at Westside, this is seriously the next best thing you can do if you want to learn how Lou really does things. I strongly encourage anyone who wants to, to come.

go to Westside's Website (http://westside-barbell.com/) if you'd like to register for the seminar.

slashkills
03-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Man i wish i could go to that. Is this going to be taped?

Brian C
03-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm tempted to fly out just for it. Would love to be there.

HP666
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I swear this is KILLING me!!!! I posted it over on AJ Roberts Facebook page. When Louie was out at Team ST I couldn't go because it was daughter's 1st birthday that weekend, and my wife was not thrilled with me flying to California for a few days. Now this comes up, a mere 10 hours drive, and that weekend my wife will be 9 months pregnant, with my son!!! Which is great, but not really the best time to leave town for a couple days. I can't win!! Ah, one of these days I'll get out there.

Pete22
03-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Hmmm... 6 hour drive says Mapquest.

Brian Hopper
03-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Thats something I wish I can do! I would love to go to a WBB seminar. It sucks that I cant.

MarcusWild
03-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I went to the seminar Louie did at Super Training. It was awesome. I'd definitely recommend one of his seminars to any athlete or powerlifter. This one sounds even better with more speakers. I was wrong about some of my weaknesses based on where I miss lifts. He corrected that, so now I'm doing better accessory work that'll make my lifts go up faster.

The only bad part was when he told me my squat form was pretty good, and I'm just weak, haha. That was a bit of a relief though. Now I can think less and just squat. That alone has made me more explosive.

BigTallOx
03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
If I wasn't laid off from my job 2 weeks ago, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Travis Bell
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Is this going to be taped?

At this time no, but it's something I have considered and am going to talk to Lou about.

He's not real crazy about it. Tapes are good for the lecture part, but terrible for the application part. When you're in the gym, he really puts it together and shows you how to change the principles depending on the specific application. That application changes with each individual lifter, so if you just watch it on a tape, you get a somewhat one dimensional view.

MBertrand
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Damn.. I'm competing that weekend and it's a comp I've been training to win for like 8 months.

And $250 is not expensive at all... I would gladly pay that

Ryan Celli
03-09-2009, 05:59 AM
This is something any serious weightlifter, powerlifter does not want to miss.

They have a great line up. The experience and knowledge all of these guys have is invaluable.

Guido
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Damn.. I'm competing that weekend and it's a comp I've been training to win for like 8 months.

And $250 is not expensive at all... I would gladly pay thatIt would be worth it just to meet Louie and the rest of the Westside guys if I weren't competing in a meet that weekend, as well!

evilxxx
03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
This sucks! LOL! Im already spending money on hotel and tickets to see Lamb of God and some other bands like 2 weeks after this in Albany NY! maybe next time...

mnstrmndmss
03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Luckily I can make it and will be there. More might be able to attend if one of the days wasn't a Friday, a work day. I'm happy that I could plan well in advance and attend. Louie has been a great friend for years but I've never been to this kind of organized seminar by him before. Hope to see you there. Take care.

Ryano
03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
What does a "Westside Training Certificate" do for you? I'm not hatin' , just wondering. It's $250 for the seminar, plus $145 for the test. What if you don't pass the test? I assume you don't get the certification, but what good is the certification anyway. There are several certifications a person can get for being a personal trainer/stength coach. Is this one of them?

Travis Bell
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Trust me, that test is much harder, and much much more applicative than any personal training certificate.

If you don't pass the test, Lou will go over the stuff with you and you can retake it. He is not the kind of guy to just take a person's money and let them flush it down the toilet Ryano. C'mon, I think Lou has a bit better reputation than that.

Receiving the certification really equips the person to fully understand the Westside principles and allow them to apply them towards many more people than just powerlifters. It opens it up to football, basketball, track and field, wrestling, MMA etc. You don't just learn that stuff comming to the gym for a weekend , or even just being a member. Several of us spend quite a bit of extra time at the gym, watching and learning from Lou training all the pro athletes we've had in the gym. If you're going to come out and get that same knowledge in one weekend, why shouldn't Lou get paid?

You'd be surprised how much you learn with that cert. The interns that we turn out (we have 4 right now) know more than 90% of the people out there who think they have been training Westside for decades.

So, what does it do for you? It makes you smarter. Isn't that the point?

You don't have to pay the $145 for the test. Lou just wanted to offer that as an option for those who wanted to learn and get that extra time for their effort of comming all the way out here. If you don't want it though, don't pay it.

I have 3 different personal training certifications, more for insurance purposes and I can say that if you pass Lou's test, you're smarter than really the majority of the personal trainers out there.

Ryano
03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Travis, I'm not puttin' it down or sayin' that Lou shouldn't be paid for sharing his knowledge. I paid to go to an MM seminar and it was well worth the $. I'm sure that new lifters can get years worth of knowledge/experience in two days. But for the average lifter attending the seminar, paying for a Westside certification doesn't help. Is there any universal certification or governing body over personal training certificates that recognize WS certificates? I just don't get the certificate part of it.

Travis Bell
03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Travis, I'm not puttin' it down or sayin' that Lou shouldn't be paid for sharing his knowledge.

Nah, I hear you on that part

I'm sure that new lifters can get years worth of knowledge/experience in two days. But for the average lifter attending the seminar, paying for a Westside certification doesn't help.

I could not disagree more, but I'm not here to sell it to you Ryano. I posted this so that people who would like the opportunity to go to a seminar like this. If you don't like it, I understand and respect that

I already explained the point of the Westside Certification. No there is not a governing body that recognizes certifications. Its up to your boss and even then, most of the time they are more interested in your level of experience than anything else.

I just spent an entire weekend with 60+ visitors at Westside, most of which were elite level powerlifters, division 1 football players and university strength coaches who could not express enough how much they appreciated being at Westside and learned tons from Lou.

Ryano
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I hope you have a good turnout. I'll be in WI trying to hit a PR that weekend.

Travis Bell
03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Ryano. I hope it turns out nice as well.

Reading back through this thread, I can see the potential for confusion, the seminar and the Westside Certification are TWO separate things. There is some overlap, but one is more general, the other is much much more specific.

It comes down to what YOU want to come away with from the seminar. If a person wasn't really interested in the certification, (I say this honestly) it'd really be a waste of yours and Lou's time. It's certainly not a must.

Now, people who are interested in getting involved in training, this would be a big asset. I believe the normal price for the certification is much more expensive, but it's lowered for this seminar because people are already paying for the seminar and because there will be a little overlap in the material.

But nobody is saying any of this is a must

Sensei
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
That's an AMAZING deal! $250 for that is really not even close to what it's worth. I would be all over that if work didn't make that an impossibility. Anybody's who's on the fence on this, don't be - GO.

dbc3po
03-09-2009, 07:35 PM
You will never meet a person as genuine as Louie. I was close to moving there this past winter until I got really sick. 245.00 is nothing for what you will learn. Everytime I have spoken to Lou on the phone I have hit a pr the next work out, His presence makes you feel stronger. Hope the seminar works out. I would love to come up but Im stuck paying the hospital bills from when I was sick.

jbrin0tk
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Travis, you've already spoken to the difficulty of the test, but how long is the test? I apologize if I am contributing to making the thread more about the test than the seminar.

chris mason
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm excited for the seminar! I will have some solid stuff put together for it, trust me.

Louie is an incredible guy and just a great presence. Several of my friends got to meet him this weekend and everyone came away universally impressed with the man.

Trust me when I tell you his seminar is worth its weight in gold. The man knows how to make anyone bigger, faster, and stronger.

Travis Bell
03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Travis, you've already spoken to the difficulty of the test, but how long is the test? I apologize if I am contributing to making the thread more about the test than the seminar.

No, it's great! This is the place to ask questions.

As I said, looking back I guess I could see where Roger was getting his questions from so I hope I cleared them up.

The test itself seems to take the interns around an hour I think?

The point of the test is so that you don't walk away from the training confused on anything. If Lou puts the "Westside" stamp on you so to speak, he wants to make sure you are all clear on everything, so if you take the test, he can go over what you are possibly confused on.

Pete22
03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
So who's goin' for sure? I'm seriously considering this.

jbrin0tk
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
No, it's great! This is the place to ask questions.

As I said, looking back I guess I could see where Roger was getting his questions from so I hope I cleared them up.

The test itself seems to take the interns around an hour I think?

The point of the test is so that you don't walk away from the training confused on anything. If Lou puts the "Westside" stamp on you so to speak, he wants to make sure you are all clear on everything, so if you take the test, he can go over what you are possibly confused on.

Thanks, Travis.

antknee
03-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm one of the guys Chris is talking about ( use to post here under a different name) and he's absolutely right..all of us came away so impressed with Louie. We had a chance to sit with him for a bit in a social- type setting and we learned so much about lifting and Westside stuff it isnt funny. One of our guys at the table who doesn't really have that ' deep ' of a lifting history told Louie " What you just said, if i read it in a book, I wouldn't understand it...but I understand everything you just said.." So, I cant imagine how much I would learn if he was actually trying to teach me something..

So, take that for what its worth...Oh, met Travis too..Sup Travis! ( I was the loudmouth in the coat, back of the SUV..) Very nice guy as well, same with Ryan Celli.

Travis Bell
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm one of the guys Chris is talking about ( use to post here under a different name) and he's absolutely right..all of us came away so impressed with Louie. We had a chance to sit with him for a bit in a social- type setting and we learned so much about lifting and Westside stuff it isnt funny. One of our guys at the table who doesn't really have that ' deep ' of a lifting history told Louie " What you just said, if i read it in a book, I wouldn't understand it...but I understand everything you just said.." So, I cant imagine how much I would learn if he was actually trying to teach me something..

So, take that for what its worth...Oh, met Travis too..Sup Travis! ( I was the loudmouth in the coat, back of the SUV..) Very nice guy as well, same with Ryan Celli.

Well put man. haha yeah I remember you. Good times

antknee
03-10-2009, 09:51 PM
yeah, seriously just hanging around you guys i learned alot and im seriously thinking of switching to WS to get my raw bench back to 400+ and, from what Louie said, be able to work legs again after my knee injury.

Travis Bell
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
If anyone knows about getting back to being able to squat after knee surgery, it'd be Lou. LOL just take one look at his knees and you'll see like 7 scars from surgeries on each one.

antknee
03-10-2009, 09:59 PM
yeah- my shin/knee broke in 4 places playing Rugby- he was talking about all his knee issues and i just looked at Justin and said " Well, for the first time someone just trumped my knee, lol "

and i really liked this " know how i came back after that injury? because i WANTED too.." that pretty much nailed it for me- no excuses.

edit spelling

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 03:22 PM
I talked to Doris today and we have plenty of room for those who are still interested in comming.

I'm really excited about this seminar. It's a great opportunity. There are going to be tons of interesting discussions going on.

jonke05
03-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Travis

I'm an Aggie...I went to the Westside website and couldn't find the conference info. I'm competing here in TX on the 25th of April, however would bust a nut to get to the next one...is there another one coming up....or a link where I can check back on for future events?

Thx,

Kelly

Travis Bell
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
if you go to the website, there is a link in the lower left corner. Read the paragraph and there is a link from there

At this time there is not a future planned seminar

vdizenzo
03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Everyone who can get to the seminar should get to it. Louie is an unlimited resource for training.