PDA

View Full Version : When and how to come back from a pulled muscle

teeroy
03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
I believe I pulled a muscle in my chest area last week. Haven't lifted since. It is feeling better this week, but is still hurts a little if I move certain ways so its clearly not healed yet. I've done some searching on here and all I could really find is that it takes about 2 weeks of rest to heal and to start back slowly.

I plan on waiting until it doesn't hurt any more in my daily activities. Hopefully that will just take another week, but if it takes longer I'll wait as I'd rather wait to completely heal.

My question is around coming back. After my warmups for bench should I just get to 50% of what was my working set weight for a couple of sets and see how that goes? And if that goes OK, should I do big jumps to try to get back up to where I was quicker or would I be better off with just 5lb or 10lb jumps?

Also, I didn't squat last week because I was concerned with holding the bar since that position stretches the chest a bit. Do you think it would be OK to squat this week since it is feeling much better?

I'd like to deadlift too, but since that puts such a strain on the entire body I'm guessing that probably wouldn't be a good idea, right?

Thanks for all your help!

Reko
03-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Why would DLs be out of the question? I would say do whatever doesnt hurt. It wont take long to come back do you might even be able to do light chest/shoulder/arm work to get some blood in there

KarstenDD
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Take it easy and if it doesn't bother you, do it.

teeroy
03-11-2009, 09:09 PM
OK, thanks guys. Was asking about DL because if I lifted something with that arm, like my backpack to put it in my trunk or the basket at the grocery store, it surprisingly hurt my chest area quite a bit.

The pain has diminished quite a bit now so I plan on getting my first workout in on Friday. I think I'll just keep the weights low and like you say get the blood flowing and see how I feel the next day.

Chris Rodgers
03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Did you think you tore something? I basically have pains like that everyday I go to the gym. Make sure you warmup properly and then do work. Pain is pain.

You have to ask yourself, are you hurt or injured?

teeroy
03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
This was definitely way different than DOMS or any other soreness that I've felt from exercising. I'm also 10 days into it now and it still hurts under use. The longest I've been sore from working out is three days. I'm pretty sure it was a pulled muscle. I think I pulled it playing basketball, not while lifting BTW. Damn GPP affecting my lifting...:whiner: