PDA

View Full Version : Almost Ashamed To Admit...Losing Some Drive...

Irish Pilot
03-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I hate to create yet another cliche "losing those last few lbs" threads, but I am having a f'n hell of a time getting below 11-12% and its starting to take its toll on my cutting motivation. I have no problem getting to the gym everyday...I still adore hitting the iron, but my mind is starting to play tricks again telling me to just start bulking.

Ive spent over a month now hovering right around the same weight, and its pissing me off. For how hard I work Im simply crushed to not see results. I work a 4 day split, and have been doing HIIT and LISS mixed daily (30+mins). Ive tried an EC stack, and currently am running a DCP/Lean FX stack. Every couple of weeks I have a small cheat to keep my mind together, but nothing outrageous. My diet is perfectly clean consisting of chicken, tilapia, salmon, almonds, spinach, cottage cheese, etc. High protein, a low split of carbs and fats. Carbs are placed around morning workouts. Ive tried everything from 1500cals daily to 2000cals and it doesnt seem to change anything.

I keep telling myself to be patient and stop watching the mirror and scale, but that mentality is wearing off. Maybe I need to start taking weekly pictures and make sure my body isnt simply recomping itself at this point.

Is it normal for fat loss to come to a crawl when getting this lean? I really dont want to even attempt a clean bulk at this bf% because knowing my endo-ass I wont be able to keep fat gain low. I still think my best plan is to get to 8-9% and then bulk slowly from there from late summer through winter.

Any suggestions or comments from simliar experience would be GREATLY appreciated.

VikingWarlord
03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
It absolutely is normal for fat loss to slow down at that point. Most people have to do pretty extreme things to get to single digits. I've never had a desire to go into that territory so I can't speak from experience but maybe you need to take a little time off.

Since it's all in your head, you really need to reevaluate what you're trying to do and figure out why. Your motivation comes from inside and you need to decide whether losing that last little bit is really worth the aggravation and frustration you're putting up with now.

Ask yourself what you'll get out of hitting that goal and whether it will be worth what you're going through to get there. You may decide that your original goal isn't really what you wanted and there's no shame in that. You might feel like it's settling for less but it's really not. Very few people actually know what they want.

It's just time for some introspection and reevaluation.

Irish Pilot
03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
It absolutely is normal for fat loss to slow down at that point. Most people have to do pretty extreme things to get to single digits....

It's just time for some introspection and reevaluation.

Quite true.

And, you know to be at 11-12% is better than MOST people will be in their life time...Most people I work with are at 16-20% or more. It helps put things in perspective.

It does...some. I really dont compare myself to others. I know what you are getting at though.

Ive wanted to go back to trying to add weight for awhile now. I keep working with this mentality that if I cut down I can have a more successful bulk...success being judged by the fact that I like the way I look in the mirror. 12% seems to be that edge...any higher and I really dont like the direction my body takes. Im fairly certain that my endo ass wont take too well to a clean bulk, and that within a few short months time of bulking I will find myself back at a bf% where, increased mass or not, I dont like the way I look. That thought keeps me cutting...especially with summer on the way.

Who knows...lots of thinking to do I guess. Ive never really been a patient man. When I set my mind on something, I expect it to be done last week if you know what I mean.

VikingWarlord
03-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I know what you mean about being impatient. When I started cutting, I was at 315-ish at around 32%BF. It took me two years to get to 230 at ~18%. Every time I'd get frustrated and burnt out, I'd take a maintenance break for about a month or so.

I hit my first wall about the same time I first met Built and we had a long conversation. She reminded me that it's a marathon, not a sprint.

ZenMonkey
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Are you carb/calorie cycling?

Irish Pilot
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Are you carb/calorie cycling?

Not truly cycling, just keeping them focused before and after workouts. My usual macros as of late have been 60p/20c/20f. It fluctuates though, however protein is always the majority. At least bi-weekly I do a carb refeed, but its usually within my normal cals.

Irish Pilot
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Gonna start carb cycling tomorrow. Here is my reference for now...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par30.htm

ZenMonkey
03-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Carb cycling and calorie cycling is IMO the easiest way to get lean. Eat more (total cals and carbs) on lifting days and less on non lifting days. This is a great way to keep your metabolism high(er) during a cut.

beaverfootball
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
ever check out UD2? I did it for awhile and I wasn't nearly as lean as you. It's specifically designed for people like you in the last few %'s. It's a pretty extreme diet and you might consider some other suggestions first.. but you will see results from it.

Irish Pilot
03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Carb cycling and calorie cycling is IMO the easiest way to get lean. Eat more (total cals and carbs) on lifting days and less on non lifting days. This is a great way to keep your metabolism high(er) during a cut.

Yeah Ive been bouncing cals for the past couple of weeks...the difference being my post workout shake (~300 cals)

whiteman90909
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Try a refeed dude

ZenMonkey
03-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Have you considered UD2?

T o m m Y
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Try a refeed dude

x2..