PDA

View Full Version : advice on running

ct67_72
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I am by no means a runner. or a jogger, maybe even a brisk walker but i am training to take my fitness exam for the department of corrections in a few weeks and Im having problems.
Ive been running in the gym, and about 2 minutes into jogging my shins feel like they are going to explode. I can jog maybe 5 minutes before I have to stop. Ive been trying different shoes and found a pair that help but it still gets bad. real bad, takes maybe 20-30 minutes to go away so I can walk normal again.

fpr
03-10-2009, 01:40 PM
sounds like shin splints. Do you have flat feet? I suggest trying a pair of over the counter orthotics first, then if that doesn't work give a pair of carbon fiber orthotics a shot.

ct67_72
03-10-2009, 01:44 PM
yeah Im pretty flat footed. Ill try that out

vdizenzo
03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
ICE, lots and lots of ICE after your running. Good luck with the test.

J.C.
03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm a terrible runner but force myself to do it because I feel that any reasonably fit, lean person should be able to. My calfs and shins used to feel like that when I was just starting to get into running.

Stretch, stretch and stretch some more. That area takes a pounding when running so you don't want any tension. Lots of static stretching before you start may help loosen up the area, and doing a warm-up before going into full speed may help too.

ct67_72
03-10-2009, 07:56 PM
i stretch and warm up. its nothing else but my shins. and it hurts like crazy. Dizenzo, thanks, Im hoping I pass

geoffsherman
03-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I have had the worst shin splints and finally got some good advice that has helpeda ton:
(a) Find a solid running store in your area and get fitted for a good set of shoes. You may pay upwards of $130, but it is well worth it. Once youget fitted, you can go online and buy them for cheaper once you have a kind that works.
(b) Don't do calf work because it will only tighten the tibialis muscle which will cause even worse shin splints
(c) Put your toes under a heavy chair and pull up on them. This should activate your tibialis to help strengthen it. Do this everyday for 10 seconds each, 6each foot.
(d) Do toe stretches (not sure what the fancy name is). Stretch your foot out in front of you in theair. Curl your toes up and back 10 times each leg, 3 sets
(e) Thoroughly stretch your calves before running
(f) Ice when you are done running. If you can get those dixie cups, I have filled them with water, frozen them, pulled them out and unwrapped thedixie and run it up and down my shins.

Those things will make your shin pain decrease dramatically.

KingJustin
03-11-2009, 11:26 PM
^^ really good advice.

Mercuryblade
03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I had really bad shin splints during lacrosse season my sophomore year.
I found that taking a couple advil before a practice/game helped a ton.

ct67_72
03-13-2009, 12:39 PM
great thanks guys.