PDA

View Full Version : Pin Presses or Board Presses

danmac
03-10-2009, 06:11 PM
So I have bench day tomorrow and I plan on doing board presses.

The problem is I have never been to this gym before, will be training with someone I have never trained with before, and really I have only used boards once before.

So question is, is there a difference between board presses and pin presses (presses to the rack, set about the same height as the boards)? Would they be a suitable substitute at least until i get more comfortable at the gym, and with my partner, where i could bring in some sawed up 2x6s?

evilxxx
03-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Hmm interesting question... I only do Pin presses(or rack lockouts) just because I do not have a training partner. I don't see a big difference between the 2 when it comes to range of motion.

Pete22
03-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Hmm interesting question... I only do Pin presses(or rack lockouts) just because I do not have a training partner. I don't see a big difference between the 2 when it comes to range of motion.

I just stick them under my shirt (1/2/3 board). They are not really the same movement though, with boards you mimic an actual bench groove more and take advantage of the stretch reflex while the weight is transfered to your chest, shoulders, etc. With rack lockouts you come to a complete stop and it's just a different movement. They are good too but it's not really the same thing.

danmac
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Thats what i was thinking, but you don't get that compression on your chest and feel the weight.

Anymore input?

EDIT: Someone else replied

Thats kind of what i was thinking, it wouldn't feel the same at all. i actually think it would feel pretty weird to just have the weight stop dead like that and not feel it. Maybe i will just suck it up and show up to my first workout there with some boards, i really like how the felt last week.

geoffsherman
03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't like pin presses because if one side is even a little lower than the other, it throws everything off. Given that you can change the board heights to work wherever you want, I would choose them

vdizenzo
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I just stick them under my shirt (1/2/3 board). They are not really the same movement though, with boards you mimic an actual bench groove more and take advantage of the stretch reflex while the weight is transfered to your chest, shoulders, etc. With rack lockouts you come to a complete stop and it's just a different movement. They are good too but it's not really the same thing.

Well said. Pin presses are brutal on the elbows.

danmac
03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I'll stick to board presses then. Off to home depot tomorrow before the gym!

ct67_72
03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
haha I just made a set, was a little nervous about walking in the gym with them

evilxxx
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Well said. Pin presses are brutal on the elbows.

Brutal on the elbows? LOL! thats why i took 3+years off from lifting! Im using a different grip, so far I have not experienced so much elbow pain like before.

Brian C
03-10-2009, 09:15 PM
I had to stop pin presses too due to Elbow tendenitis too. It really does reak havoc on the joints. If you dont trust your partner, then bench in a cage and set the pins just below your board height. This way you have the security that if he cant handle the weight, you can lay it down.

danmac
03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
I got about half way done making my boards when my drill gave out, so i didn't get to use them today anyway. I stayed clear of the pin presses, the last thing I would want is some elbow tendinitis.

evilxxx
03-11-2009, 02:51 PM

I see what you are saying now! just got done watching a few vids on you tube of people doing board presses and pin presses.

Eric Downey
03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
brds. make sure your pausing the brd.