PDA

View Full Version : Bar identification - Buying a used bar

=Travis=
03-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Does any one know how to identify different types of bars? Like going to a second hand sports store for bars, what would one look for? I know Yorks and some OL bars have the split sleeves but what kind of markers are there to identify a particular bar and find a good deal on a bar?

Pete22
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Not sure really how to identify certain brand bars, but most quality bars have sleeves of one piece construction with no bolts on the end to come loose.

evilxxx
03-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Im about to head out to the gym in a few minutes, they got all York stuff and there are at least 9-10 York bars so I will check all of them and let you know.

Ben Moore
03-11-2009, 03:14 PM
yeah, look for split collars. Spin the collars and see what kind of bearings and spin they have. Look for bars with pins in the ends (no hex bolts). Newer york bars have the name stamped in there.

Hazerboy
03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
If you're buying a used bar, then most likely its very cheap right? I would say just make sure its not bent, and buy the cheapest one. Save your money for a nice one later.

I don't know what kind of weights your using, but my cheap bar lasted me several years. The heaviest stuff I did was rack pulls with ~550 on it and no bending. The one day I DID bend th ebar, I was doing overhead squats with 30 lbs ont he bar, lost my balance, dropped it, and it landed unevenly on the cage. bent for life. Bought another used one for 15 bucks that'll probably last me years.

If you're already moving big enough weights so that you're afraid of bending it though, Just buy a new one thats well made. Or several cheap ones and just keep bending them XD XD XD

Ben Moore
03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
He's using some pretty big weights already. Travis is looking for a "good" used bar, not one of the cheapies.

If you're buying a used bar, then most likely its very cheap right? I would say just make sure its not bent, and buy the cheapest one. Save your money for a nice one later.

I don't know what kind of weights your using, but my cheap bar lasted me several years. The heaviest stuff I did was rack pulls with ~550 on it and no bending. The one day I DID bend th ebar, I was doing overhead squats with 30 lbs ont he bar, lost my balance, dropped it, and it landed unevenly on the cage. bent for life. Bought another used one for 15 bucks that'll probably last me years.

If you're already moving big enough weights so that you're afraid of bending it though, Just buy a new one thats well made. Or several cheap ones and just keep bending them XD XD XD

Brad08
03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
You ought to register and ask over at http://ironhistory.com/forum/

I'd be surprised if those guys don't know a lot about older bars.

Eric Downey
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
teaxs power bars have thick collar b4 the weight sleeve. also some have a texas state stamp on it.

=Travis=
03-11-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't have anything in mind. I'm just wondering in case I come across something in a used condition and it's a good deal. Like a while back, Ben stumbled across some york bars on craigslist for $20. If I came across some bars, I wouldn't know what kind of bar it was beyond some basics. I know what the bars look like that I use but that's it. And I'll bend a cheap bar.

Eric's comment about the texas stamp is kind of what I am looking for. Most bars I wouldn't be able to pick up identifiers beyond having split collars.

evilxxx
03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
yeah, look for split collars. Spin the collars and see what kind of bearings and spin they have. Look for bars with pins in the ends (no hex bolts). Newer york bars have the name stamped in there.

That's what i just noticed at the gym all the York bars got the name stamped, even the smaller bars. I also noticed that there are 2 york bars at the gym that got a different center knurling not as deep as all the other ones, must be diferent year bars? but now I know what I will be using to squat! not those 2!