PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to anyone?

no regrets
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Today I did some standing shoulder presses with the triceps bar. I don't press all that often but my shoulders felt good for once today and my front delts were not sore from Monday's bench workout. Anyway, on my 5th and final set I went to do a single. The weight was tough but went up and when I was coming down I began to blackout and fell into the pins. Luckily I held the bar tight and kept my body up. I've never experienced this before though. Could it be that I held my breath too long or something? Has this happened to anyone else in a particular exercise? Should I be worried since this was the first time it has happened? Thanks for any input.

zen
03-11-2009, 12:08 PM
see a doctor

bill
03-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I think I come close a few times got some white spots flying around, little dizzy, light headed. Never quite fell all the way out.

Chalky Palms
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I've almost passed out after a heavy dead lift. Had to sit down for a couple minutes to regain myself. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with you.

Travis Bell
03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
did you lock your knees?

Chalky Palms
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
did you lock your knees?

Who is this directed at?

Travis Bell
03-11-2009, 12:51 PM
The OP.

Being light headed after a really grinder deadlift is fairly normal. BP goes sky high

But for him to have that from shoulder press, I would imagine he locked his knees, causing the near fainting

Lones Green
03-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I've barfed after pulling heavy off boxes, seen starts, THOUGHT I was going to pass out, but never have. Knock on wood.

Mercuryblade
03-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I used to get near-blackouts all the time when I deadlifted. If you are getting some kind of chest pain that accompanies these black outs I would certaintly see a doc, although more than likely you are just working your butt off and your blood supply isn't keeping up.

evilxxx
03-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I've seen a few stars around the gym when DL heavy off the floor, never from the pins. And a few times Benching heavy with the shirt. I would say that you holded your air for a bit too long. Also what Travis mentioned about the locking the knees. I have seen so many people go to the ground in the military because they didnt believe they could pass out if they locked the knees while standing in a formation for long periods of time!

Pete22
03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I've gotten that quite a few times squatting and deadlifting, and even with stuff like 45-degree back raises. A lot if it is probably just blood pressure and breathing related. I've never fully blacked out though.

standAPART
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Very strenuous exercise or lifts will cause an acute rise in blood pressure. It is common, but if it happens all the time or often, it is not normal. You should have your BP checked. If it is high already(at rest), then you are making a problem worse.

chris mason
03-11-2009, 07:41 PM
What you are experiencing is fairly normal with heavy overhead pressing (heavy for the individual). Just be careful and try to make sure you have plenty of air in you prior to the press.

no regrets
03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Thank you everyone for all your input and replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has experienced this. I did not have any chest pains, just got light-headed very quickly as the press was coming down. My blood pressure is fine as per a doctor a month or so ago, it may have risen since though that I am unaware of.

I'm not quite sure I understand the locking the knees part? Does it have something to do with the bloodflow during the lift?

Travis Bell
03-11-2009, 07:57 PM
locking your knees can cause you to pass out, that's why I asked

teeroy
03-11-2009, 08:28 PM
locking your knees can cause you to pass out, that's why I asked

That's why I love reading these forums. Never knew that. I'll be sure not to lock my knees. Passing out with a bunch of weight over my head is a big fear of mine. Thanks for the info, Travis.

Happy that you didn't get hurt OP!

vdizenzo
03-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Rub some dirt on it, you'll be fine. I can easily see how that could have happened. If you are concerned just get your bp checked.

-JM-
03-12-2009, 06:26 AM
OP,

What had you eaten prior to this session?

If I dont get enough carbs before training I sometimes feel dizzy and lightheaded during the session with singles or reps. This might be a more straight forward reason and easier to fix. ;)

That is amazing about the knee locking though. Didnt know that!

TUEFELHUNDEN
03-12-2009, 09:24 AM
To the OP. I had this same problem. It was bad a couple days after visiting the Chiropractor. I stopped for 2 weeks and went back and made sure to keep my legs slightly bent and take a deep breath with each rep and have had no issues since. I think my biggest problem was when I was repping the weight somtimes I would hold for more than one rep and get light-headed. Just breathe deep with each rep and you'll be all good! Hope that helps also.

rbtrout
03-12-2009, 09:55 AM
I thought I was going to pass out this morning after my last set of deads - white dots, etc.
Travis is correct on the locking the knees thing, make sure you're not locked out on your knees, that should help.

no regrets
03-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank you, I never knew that Travis. I've had both rotators operated on so standing presses haven't been in my workouts until recently.

Thanks to everyone else that has replied. Prior to the workout I had a MuscleMilk with skim milk and a bowl of cinnamon Total. I woke up late though and kind of rushed there to meet my partner instead of digesting for an hour like I typically do.