PDA

View Full Version : when are you ready to go to a meet?

ct67_72
03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
i always hear all the top numbers being put up, but untill I get there, whats the middle of the pack look like? what do I need to be able to do to not be on the bottom? (bench only) Im dying to go but am no where near competitive yet, I think the experience would be great too

Brian Hopper
03-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I think that you should just pick one out and do it. Dont worry about winning or losing, just do it for the experience.

ct67_72
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
thats what Im thinking. the experience should be good, but it I can help it to not be lowest I would like that :whiner::D

Ryano
03-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Go to a meet for the experience. Open light and try to get a PR after. You're competing against yourself anyway. Just do your best and not worry about anyone else's lifts. Make sure you review the fed's rules for the meet you lift in and have a good time.

Pete22
03-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Go and get experience, compete against yourself and try and get a PR. Then down the road you can worry about being competitive against others.

ct67_72
03-12-2009, 09:24 PM
that makes sense. Im just very very competitive and have a very hard time not being competitive with people around me doing the same thing.

Pete22
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
that makes sense. Im just very very competitive and have a very hard time not being competitive with people around me doing the same thing.

That's perfect. You can go to your first meet and look at some of the guys ahead of you and you'll strive to beat them or come close at your next meet.

BigTallOx
03-12-2009, 09:52 PM
I went to my first push/pull meet only 3 weeks after I started deadlifting, which as August 2008 ( and having really long arms, my bench was pretty weak too. ) But, it was awesome and really motivating seeing the strongest people in my area lift. And even though I was beginner powerlifter, everybody was super nice and supportive, and it's how I found my current powerlifting gym and my workout partners ( which have been amazingly helpful and they've really helped my lifts get stronger ). Also, my first meet was good documentation of where I was when I started out ( looking back, even though it wasn't that long ago, man I was weak and I've made a lot of progress ).

IMHO, go lift at the meet. I've gotten PR's at all the meets I've lifted at, and it's a great feeling no matter what anybody else is lifting. You'll have a great time and you'll probably see a lot of really good lifters, and if you're like me, you'll be super motivated after the meet.

Im just very very competitive and have a very hard time not being competitive with people around me doing the same thing.

That's good, you're somebody who likes to push themselves. IMHO, that's what powerlifting is about. But, since you're new to the sport, you also need to humble yourself so you can learn from others and be competitive in the future. Go lift at the meet, learn everything you can, listen to everybody's advice and then go home and train hard and get stronger.

Good luck.

DrDudley-Robey
03-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Just do it. This sport is about having fun and improving yourself. Go and set your meet PR. If you can get a new PR every meet it wont be long till your at the top!

Chris Rodgers
03-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Yea, like they said go and get your feet wet. Bench only isn't powerlifting anyway, so it doesn't matter where you place. Haha

Bring it you bench guys. :shoot:

MarcusWild
03-13-2009, 01:08 AM
I agree with just do it. At my first meet, I had no clue what the WR were or what was competitive. I just wanted my first total. Powerlifting is pretty simple.

1. Do a meet and set a PR
2. Train
3. Do another meet and beat your PR
4. Repeat 2 and 3

Eric Downey
03-13-2009, 02:20 AM
just do it man. until you experience a meet you dont know what your getting in to.

Illinimeats
03-13-2009, 05:38 AM
I was just like you, I thought you had to have the 300+ bench, 400+ squat and deadlift. I went into my first meet, after being encouraged by JT, and had a great time. I had the lowest total there, but at the end of the meet nobody met me in the parking lot or threw rocks at me. In fact everyone is so focused on their lifts they don't pay any attention to you. I met a lot of nice, cool people that only want the sport to progress and consider you part of that movement, regardless of total. Enter a meet and enjoy yourself.

Illinimeats

ct67_72
03-13-2009, 07:21 AM
I guess Ill give it a go. I lift in a private gym now on a competition bench with guys who are between 450 and 550 raw so i have the motivation, and plenty of yelling at me lol.
but yeah if I do go and place real low I would have to come back and kick ass so i guess its perfect motivation.
Ill hit the next one to come up
thanks

johnnyo_99
03-13-2009, 07:46 AM
i'm going to my first meet and i'm nowhere close to being competitive but i know I need the experience. as i get stronger i will one day become competitive. good luck with it all, theres no greater motivator then training for a compitition.

Detard
03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I guess Ill give it a go. I lift in a private gym now on a competition bench with guys who are between 450 and 550 raw so i have the motivation, and plenty of yelling at me lol.
but yeah if I do go and place real low I would have to come back and kick ass so i guess its perfect motivation.
thanks

To be honest dude, for your first meet, I doubt you'll be very competitive. I competed last year in may as my first, and it was an awesome experience. I was so focused on myself and my training partners, I didnt even listen to the weights other people were putting up. It's not what you expect, but it is a ton of fun.

I'm addicted now. I got another meet coming up in may of this year. Just do it man

mike danforth
03-13-2009, 11:25 AM
just got to see what it's like......My first USPF Seniors I lost by 250 lbs, I went home and trained harder, learned some things by talking to some of the guys that I read about in PLUSA; Ed Coan,Gene Bell,Kirk Karwaski.....came back the next year and won my 1st Nationals.......

Reko
03-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Just do it or you will never be ready.

evilxxx
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Go to a meet for the experience. Open light and try to get a PR after. You're competing against yourself anyway. Just do your best and not worry about anyone else's lifts. Make sure you review the fed's rules for the meet you lift in and have a good time.

I'm backing up what Ryano said ! :shoot:

Hazerboy
03-13-2009, 02:28 PM
lol I got first place in my first meet... Only had to beat two guys, and one bombed out on deadlift XD XD XD

Reko
03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
lol I got first place in my first meet... Only had to beat two guys, and one bombed out on deadlift XD XD XD

There generally isn't a lot of competition in the 148 class. :evillaugh:

ct67_72
03-13-2009, 03:17 PM
see and I weigh 235 so Ill be with the bigboys :bang:

mike95763
03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I am competing in my first meet this April. There arn't many local meets around me so this is the first real chance I have had to compete since I started powerlifting. I am no way ready for it but I am still totally psyched to go and compete. Unfortunately it happens to be a national competition so I will probably get my butt handed to me...

Buccos1
03-13-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree with most of what's been said so far... just sign up for a meet and go. Make sure you train according to the rules of the fed so you don't bomb out by missing a signal or something. You'll have a lot of fun, learn a ton, and will most likely not even be worrying what is going on around you with the numbers.

DrDudley-Robey
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Yea, like they said go and get your feet wet. Bench only isn't powerlifting anyway, so it doesn't matter where you place. Haha

Kiss my ..... Chris lol :ninja::whip::whazzup:

Ryano
03-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Bench only isn't powerlifting anyway, so it doesn't matter where you place. Haha

Squats are just something for the crowd to watch while the bench guys warmup.

Deadlifts are just something for the crowd to watch while the meet director figures out who get best lifter for bench!:moon:

nhlfan
03-14-2009, 07:01 AM
if you can complete the necessary lifts with good form, you're ready for a meet.

BigTallOx
03-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Squats are just something for the crowd to watch (snip)
Deadlifts are just something for the crowd to watch (snip)

Exactly, for the crowd squats and deads are much more fun to watch than benching because you can see the intensity in lifters faces.

rmccray
03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
thanks

who benches 550 at the refuge??

Beast Genetics
03-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah bro I recently went to my first bench meet and missed two of my three lifts that I had done before in the gym so just to get the experience is priceless, but I got one of my lifts, got a lil trophy out the deal, and gained confidence the gym alone cannot supply you. Just go for the lifts you know you can get, the rest is out of your hands.

ct67_72
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
sorry its really not the specific number I was refering to more to throw something out impressive, because really what I mean is that training with people putting up impressive numbers really does two things to you. The same as anytime someone is doing the same thig you are, but better. one make you want to push to do the same, and two; at the same time make you question yourself in comparison. so in my thinking, when everyone around me is benching "impressive" numbers and Im benching less than half of that, I do see my self competing, but I do see my self striving to compete with something "impressive"
Dan

Reko
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
sorry its really not the specific number I was refering to more to throw something out impressive, because really what I mean is that training with people putting up impressive numbers really does two things to you. The same as anytime someone is doing the same thig you are, but better. one make you want to push to do the same, and two; at the same time make you question yourself in comparison. so in my thinking, when everyone around me is benching "impressive" numbers and Im benching less than half of that, I do see my self competing, but I do see my self striving to compete with something "impressive"
Dan

Eventually, with enough time under your belt you will be in a position to tell a youngster under your wing that he/she needs to get on the platform and compete.