PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Cigaretts

bigeddy200
03-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle. what do you guys that smoke think about that, or any opinion. i know its bad but it's a must sometimes on my off days. not a chain smoker

Pete22
03-13-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm not going to sit here and try to list all the dangers of smoking, they are well known and I'm sure you're aware. I don't think it affects muscle growth directly, but it will affect your cardiovascular health which could in turn hinder your training. I would seriously find another way to relax or unwind, if that's what why you occasionally smoke.

Progress
03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Either quit all together or switch to dip. Many lifters (and athletes for that matter) chew or dip tobacco. At least this way you're getting your addictive drug without damaging your lungs/heart by way of smoke.

Mercuryblade
03-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Either quit all together or switch to dip. Many lifters (and athletes for that matter) chew or dip tobacco. At least this way you're getting your addictive drug without damaging your lungs/heart by way of smoke.

Not true at all. A dip won't affect your lungs, but the nicotine still enters your bloodstream. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Smokeless+tobacco+threatens+heart+health-a0133280143

Pimpstick
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
bigeddy what do you want us to tell you?

Smoking is the single dumbest thing you can do in your life. Everyone knows how bad it is, it's expensive and it kills you. Who even cares about its effects on your muscles. Here's a thought: did it ever occur to you that your heart is a muscle? Smoking is a leading cause of heart disease, so yes, it's bad for you muscles.

Just because you aren't a chain smoker does not mean you will not become one. I started smoking socially, and was addicted after about 6 months. It took me another 4-5 months to realize how addicted I'd become, then another 2 months to convince myself to quit. DO NOT SMOKE.

Mercuryblade
03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle. what do you guys that smoke think about that, or any opinion. i know its bad but it's a must sometimes on my off days. not a chain smoker

Tobacco in any form is not good for heart health or lung health. As far as actually inhibiting muscle growth, I have not heard anything to suggest so.
But do you think with a damaged cardiovascular system that you can train at your 100% best intensity?

Progress
03-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Not true at all. A dip won't affect your lungs, but the nicotine still enters your bloodstream. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Smokeless+tobacco+threatens+heart+health-a0133280143

At least you're avoiding the smoke part which is damaging to the lungs.

Mercuryblade
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
At least you're avoiding the smoke part which is damaging to the lungs.

It's a bit of a moot point though.
Your lungs need your heart to pump the blood to deliver oxygen to the rest of your body. If you heart isn't working at its full potential what good are healthy lungs?

Progress
03-13-2009, 12:08 PM
It's a bit of a moot point though.
Your lungs need your heart to pump the blood to deliver oxygen to the rest of your body. If you heart isn't working at its full potential what good are healthy lungs?

Then I'll revert to what I originally said before the "or." The sooner you avoid tobacco all together, the better.

Mercuryblade
03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Then I'll revert to what I originally said before the "or." The sooner you avoid tobacco all together, the better.

I don't blame you at all for originally believing that about dip.
I know a ton of active kids (especially hockey players) who dipped in highschool because they thought as long as their lungs aren't being damaged it was okay. Plus they liked the buzz it gave them during practices.

J.C.
03-13-2009, 06:19 PM

Hey eddy,

Everyone here has already told you how bad smoking is so I feel that's been covered well enough for me to actually answer your question:

"Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle"
- No. Not at all. It will make **** all difference.

bigeddy200
03-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Hey eddy,

Everyone here has already told you how bad smoking is so I feel that's been covered well enough for me to actually answer your question:

"Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle"
- No. Not at all. It will make **** all difference.

thanx for the info yea its bad i feel every one and i will quit that dirty habit its just a stupid thing i do very seldom and i just wanted to know how people that really lift hard do in this situation. im doing good on my journey to lose the weight and gains in muscle but this is my fall back il stay away from this and chew gum or something.

Mercuryblade
03-14-2009, 12:52 AM
thanx for the info yea its bad i feel every one and i will quit that dirty habit its just a stupid thing i do very seldom and i just wanted to know how people that really lift hard do in this situation. im doing good on my journey to lose the weight and gains in muscle but this is my fall back il stay away from this and chew gum or something.

Good luck. Quitting is no easy task and takes an enormous amount of discipline, but it's also very worth it in the long run.

VirtualT
03-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Tobacco in any form is not good for heart health or lung health.

Rubbish

Nicotine, apart from the whole addictive thing, is not actually that bad for you per se, it is in fact a stimulant that can he helpful by slightly increasing resting metabolism and reducing appetite.

Its the smoking of the nicotine that bad for you.

Bako Lifter
03-14-2009, 02:58 AM
That sucks for you man, if you aren't already addicted, don't ever touch the stuff again. If you think you can keep casually smoking... haha.

faster
03-14-2009, 01:11 PM
I say it's not really a big deal. It doesn't sound like you're a heavy smoker and there's definitely worse things out there that can kill you.

Mercuryblade
03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Rubbish

Nicotine, apart from the whole addictive thing, is not actually that bad for you per se, it is in fact a stimulant that can he helpful by slightly increasing resting metabolism and reducing appetite.

Yes, nicotine is bad for your heart and vascular system. See the article I posted.
Also I work for a heart foundation doing cardiology research full time, and just listened to a lecture about the effects of nicotine on your peripheral vascular system.
Don't answer questions if you have no idea what you are talking about.

malkore
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Rubbish

Yeah cuz nobody ever got mouth or throat cancer from chewing tobacco... :soapbox:

anyhow, to Bigeddy, its not that hard to quit. Just quit. chew gum, and suck on mints. Altoids helped me...i just grabbed one when i'd normally have a cigarette to help break the 'habit' of smoking.

only takes about 7 days to get over the nicotine addiction from a physiological standpoint. after that its just breaking the mind's habit of smoking.
You can do it and you will feel better.

OGROK
03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Vape weed instead

Tykimeister
03-18-2009, 12:11 AM
I smoked for 3 years and I decided to quit smoking after I started getting really serious with lifting. I then started dipping and haven't smoked since. I think it will be easier to quit dipping than smoking, but it's going to be tough. I don't want to quit dipping because I think it will help my lifting, but so my teeth don't fall out any time soon.

Also, quitting isn't something that is going to go away in a week. When you use nicotine it builds sensors that are in your nervous system that are stimulated by the nicotine. Once these sensors develope from the nicotine you will have them for life and you will always crave nicotine; just not as bad as the physical withdrawl symptoms first after quiting.

After quiting smoking I realized that I had more breath during my workouts and I didn't smell like a shameful smoker while in the gym. Even after being a smoker I still don't realize why people do it and it makes my stomach turn when I think about smoking again. Don't take smoking as a game or joyful passtime. It sucks...

Mercuryblade
03-18-2009, 12:13 AM
I smoked for 3 years and I decided to quit smoking after I started getting really serious with lifting. I then started dipping and haven't smoked since. I think it will be easier to quit dipping than smoking, but it's going to be tough. I don't want to quit dipping because I think it will help my lifting, but so my teeth don't fall out any time soon.

Also, quitting isn't something that is going to go away in a week. When you use nicotine it builds sensors that are in your nervous system that are stimulated by the nicotine. Once these sensors develope from the nicotine you will have them for life and you will always crave nicotine; just not as bad as the physical withdrawl symptoms first after quiting.

After quiting smoking I realized that I had more breath during my workouts and I didn't smell like a shameful smoker while in the gym. Even after being a smoker I still don't realize why people do it and it makes my stomach turn when I think about smoking again. Don't take smoking as a game or joyful passtime. It sucks...

See my earlier post, nicotine won't help your gains.

TooTall
03-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Smoking is BAD! I know, because I smoke sometimes. Can't do much time on the treadmill then. I have actually thought it doesn't harm your training in any way... well WRONG. Bad breathing - Worse training - LOST MUSCLE!!

Sorry man. U wanna perform to the MAX in the gym, u gotta get rid of those suckers (cigarettes)! Uhm, that counts for me as well...

Tykimeister
03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
See my earlier post, nicotine won't help your gains.

The point is quitting smoking and dipping will help your gains. But quitinig all together will likely help even more.

Mercuryblade
03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
The point is quitting smoking and dipping will help your gains. But quitinig all together will likely help even more.

Got it, I misread your post. I thought you were inferring that dipping was actually helping your lifting .

ChrisNeander
03-18-2009, 12:36 PM
My lifting was boosted tremendously by quitting smoking. Knowing how much of an impact it has on my lifting has helped me stay cigarette free. Life itself just feels better when you are a non-smoker.

liftingislife
03-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I probably won't mess with your muscles, just respiratory things. Which can effect how long you can last lifting, which in turn could effect mass gained.

- Greg Lumis :) http://smileyiconz.com/funnysmileygif2.jpg

Tykimeister
03-18-2009, 11:32 PM
I probably won't mess with your muscles, just respiratory things. Which can effect how long you can last lifting, which in turn could effect mass gained.

Smoking does harm your circulatory system. Carbon monoxide enters your blood and makes it stick and flow slower. This is why some smokers tend to have a hard time getting a hard on sometimes. From what I have been told it only lasts for about a hour after smoking but your blood pressure drops slightly and that could lead to less oxygen needed to lift weights.

slashkills
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Ive been smoking for a year and just decided to quit after i realised i had been addicted. I started out just doing it on the weekends with my friends and only a few a weekend. Then i gradually started having more. Telling myself its just this once and i wont have as many next weekend. Then i would smoke just as much the next weekend and then eventually started during the week. I was at about two packs and a half a week. It really started effecting my cardio endurance. It took about a month to convince myself that i should quit. I would keep asking myself why should i quit? What are the odds that im going to end up with an oxygen tank and cancer when im 50 like they say in health class. But after seeing negative effects on my endurance i finally realised that they are really bad for you. I havent had a smoke in almost three weeks now.