PDA

View Full Version : Tuna Burgers

mattburns
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Search revealed no threads on tuna burgers so thought I'd start one as I'm a big fan of them. Here's my recipe-

1 200g (8oz) can tuna
50g (2oz) sweetcorn
50g (2oz) grated cheese
1 jalapeno
1 egg
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp olive oil

Drain the tuna, mix with the cheese and sweetcorn in a bowl.
Slice the jalapeno and mix in.
Beat the egg and mix in thoroughly.
Add oil.
Add flour and mix, continue to add until the mixture gets a 'doughy' consistency.
Mould into patties.
Fry or Grill on George Foreman grill.

One tin usually makes two burger size patties or one massive patty. I think the jalapenos add a nice kick but you can always vary the recipe. I've added BBQ sauce in the past and that has been good.

WillNoble
03-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Ive never made them with canned tuna before, but Ive made ground tuna burger out of filet's of yellowfin on several occasions (last friday most notably, due to Lent)

here is a good video recipe for doing them this way (NOTE: I wouldnt use a food processor to chop the Tuna, dont be lazy, get a sharp knife and cube it down by hand):

w_wGs0ASPeg

VikingWarlord
03-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Sweet corn, hmm? Never really thought about that. Do you think the oil is really necessary? I'd think the egg itself should be enough of an emulsifier without having to put in the oil.

I prefer a more traditional croquette using breadcrumbs but I might work with this.

mattburns
03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Yea tuna/sweetcorn is my fave combo. As for the oil I should have added that this is optional, but I like to put it in purely for the fat content as I am bulking. It would work fine without.

I like the look of that burger too Will, fresh tuna steaks are awesome, so different to canned tuna but unfortunately a little expensive for me at the mo.

WillNoble
03-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I like the look of that burger too Will, fresh tuna steaks are awesome, so different to canned tuna but unfortunately a little expensive for me at the mo.

Depends on where you shop, but you can usually catch the previously frozen steaks at a fair price. If you are going to cook them to more than a seared rare I wouldnt worry about getting Sashimi grade...

Ben Moore
03-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Made some last night - forgot to get pics. Here's my usual recipe:

3 cans drained white tuna
1/2 c bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tbs cayenne
1 tbs garlic
1 tbs pepper
salt to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix it together and spoon out 4 large patties. Cook for 5 minutes each side on med/hi heat and you're ready to go.

Pimpstick
03-14-2009, 09:46 AM
I made some last night as well. 2 cans of tuna, 2 eggs, bread crumbs, pepper into one MASSIVE patty.

I pan fried it, then realized I didn't have any bread...

So I just ate it with my hands :)

nhlfan
03-14-2009, 10:42 AM
dude, that sounds sooo good. i may have to try this recipe.

VikingWarlord
03-14-2009, 12:06 PM
I made some last night as well. 2 cans of tuna, 2 eggs, bread crumbs, pepper into one MASSIVE patty.

I pan fried it, then realized I didn't have any bread...

Manly.

Mercuryblade
03-14-2009, 01:30 PM

How else are you supposed to eat a tuna patty?:drooling:

Jesse Hernandez
05-28-2009, 03:11 PM
This recipe was not great. Tried, and failed.