PDA

View Full Version : Update on expanding my key club gym

Chris Smith
03-14-2009, 02:27 AM
I had posted a while back (late January) about turning my small key club operation into a business. The place I was looking at that was 1,500 sq ft turned out to not be an option, as there was no bathroom, and our city inspector said we would have to have one. I had been looking around still, then my current landlord notified me that he was turning my current location into office space, so I had to move, which lit a fire in the old ass to find a new location. Turns out that the building I was looking at to begin with had space on the second level, with a mens and womens bathroom. My old location was actually only 760 sq.ft. The new location is right at 1,000 sq.ft. We'll have 24/7 access as well. The owner is not requiring me to get my business license either. I will be paying $5.00 per sq.ft, which equals out to $415.00 per month. This includes utilities, and the place is heated and air conditioned. The only thing that sucks is dragging that heavy **** up 2 small flights of stairs. Luckily they are wide. I'll be signing a year lease next week, and Eaton Barbell will be back in full operation on April 1st. I'll take some pics and get them posted when we get everything set up. Thanks for the suggestions I received on the last post.

Smitty

waynedang
03-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Are you going to deadlift on the 2nd floor?

Ben Moore
03-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Very cool man! Good luck with it.

Brian C
03-14-2009, 10:07 AM

Yeah, make sure that its disclosed to the Landlord that heavy weights will be dropping. This could be a headache for you in the future if there are tenants eventually downstairs.

slashkills
03-14-2009, 10:32 AM
thats cool man. I wish we had something like that around us. All we have is la fitness.

Ryan Celli
03-14-2009, 10:53 AM
congrats!!! Glad things worked out. Keep us updated.

Chris Smith
03-14-2009, 04:54 PM

Yes. I have a 8 x 8 platform made of 2 layers of plywood and the 3/4 inch rubber stall mats from a farm supply (TSC) place. The power rack will be mounted on it, and will be used for deadlifting. The owner said that was cool. The place used to be a dance academy for kids, which apparently got pretty loud, with no problems. He said 35 kids jumping around didn't bother anyone, so this wont be a bother. There is a video store underneath my place.

MarcusWild
03-14-2009, 04:58 PM
The stall mats are the way to go. Congrats on the new place!

waynedang
03-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Yes. I have a 8 x 8 platform made of 2 layers of plywood and the 3/4 inch rubber stall mats from a farm supply (TSC) place. The power rack will be mounted on it, and will be used for deadlifting. The owner said that was cool. The place used to be a dance academy for kids, which apparently got pretty loud, with no problems. He said 35 kids jumping around didn't bother anyone, so this wont be a bother. There is a video store underneath my place.

AS long as the owner is cool with it. The Lock-Up was on the 2nd floor for several years and stall mats made no difference for us. When someone dropped a weight the whole building shook. We had a room downstairs for the DL but the hair salon girls still b*tched about us when we dropped DB's. WE moved downstairs last year to an area about twice the size and everyone is happy. Anyway good luck with the gym and get some pics up.

Chris Smith
03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Yeah, when I met with him, that was one of the first things I brought up. Besides, since I am a bench fag, I dont do a whole hell of a lot of pulling--I actually despise the lift. LOL. I still pull sometimes, but usually it is rack pulls. The majority of the people who attend my place are not powerlifters. I have the platform, mainly so when my training partners come over to train at my place, they have some access to pull.

Matt Adams
03-14-2009, 07:18 PM
congratulations smitty. cant wait to see the pics of the place