PDA

View Full Version : First shirt - Rage-X or Phenom

jmccown
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I've been looking at bench shirts and I think these two are what I've narrowed down to. First of all, I lift NASA only. I know that the Rage X is allowed, not sure about the phenom. Can anyone elaborate on the phenom being legal in this federation? JT? I measured my chest without flex and it is 48", so I should get a size 50, is this correct?

Travis Bell
03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
The SD Phenom is not legal in NASA. The single ply Phenom's have great rebound but will wear out quickly. Whatever shirt you go with, make sure to get it a little big so you can get used to it.

johnnyo_99
03-16-2009, 12:14 PM
i just started shirt benching and got a single-ply phenom and I'm glad i did. again, make sure you add 2 to your chest measurement to get your shirt size.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
03-16-2009, 01:13 PM
The close, back single-ply phenom is legal in NASA. Now, this is just my opinion only. I suggest going with the Inzer Rage for your first bp, then get an Inzer Rage X. I think the Inzer Rage X might be too much for a first shirt. When you call Inzer, ask for Branden and he will take care of you.

Jon Elick
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Neither. Go for a Katana from Titan. Better material, better design, better warranty...better results.

Guido
03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Neither. Go for a Katana from Titan. Better material, better design, better warranty...better results.That's not a good first shirt, though. For an experienced shirt bencher, though, yes it's great. For a first shirt I recommend the Titan F-6. I've gotten great results and carryover out of mine (I've gotten 115 lbs out of it) and it's quite durable.

Eric Downey
03-19-2009, 02:53 PM
The close, back single-ply phenom is legal in NASA. Now, this is just my opinion only. I suggest going with the Inzer Rage for your first bp, then get an Inzer Rage X. I think the Inzer Rage X might be too much for a first shirt. When you call Inzer, ask for Branden and he will take care of you.

good point. the rage is more forgiving in the groove

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I have to agree, the Katana is a lot of shirt for a beginner.

There are a few situations where I am OK recommending that shirt because their form is exactly spot on, otherwise I'd go with the F6 or the Fury. The Fury was my first shirt

Biggest thing though is to get whatever shirt you get, a tad big. I made the mistake of getting several with the chest plate too small when I started out, but if I'd have gotten them a little bit big, that wouldn't have been a problem

jmccown
03-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, I'm far from a beginner on bench. I have 15 years in lifting, just never got into the equipment, always lifted RAW. I do not plan on competing with the shirt till end of October and first week in November, so I have plenty of time to train with it and learn the shirt.

Travis Bell
03-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Well, I'm far from a beginner on bench. I have 15 years in lifting, just never got into the equipment, always lifted RAW. I do not plan on competing with the shirt till end of October and first week in November, so I have plenty of time to train with it and learn the shirt.

Don't take this the wrong way but just because you've been benching for a long time doesn't mean your form is good, or good enough to jump into an advanced shirt.

I only say that because I know from personal experience how frustrated and pissed I got when I was trying to wear shirts that were too advanced for me.

Jon Elick
03-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Probably right...the F6 might be the best bet until the learning curve kicks in.

DrDudley-Robey
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
F6 is a good starter shirt just take a look at your arch to decide AS (angled Sleve - good arch) SS (Strait - for flat back) - the kitana is to much for a starter. Get it a little big and as you get better with it have it taken in - you can make them smaller easy but bigger means buying a new shirt so be careful. Travis is right, have people help you in the begining who know how to bench & hand off shirted, it is a skill that takes time to learn despite a solid RAW background and you dont want to get hurt.

10.5 Dave
03-22-2009, 08:42 AM
I bought a Rage X and it is to much shirt for a rookie.I tried it last week and couldn't touch with 315.It literally chokes me and cuts my shoulders and I got the scooped neck option.I'll probably give it to my kid who has way better form then me to grow into.He's a rookie too but is very happy with his Rage X.I'll get a F-6 to learn how to use a shirt.

Sidior
03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I started benching in a shirt about 2 years ago and went with an F6. I have been nothing but pleased with it.