PDA

View Full Version : Cardio and Steam Rooms

Andre518
03-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Im trying to get my weight down to 242lbs I was wondering do any Powerlifter use steam rooms and what type of cardio is best so far I just been running but Im getting sick of it. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help out.

Ben Moore
03-16-2009, 12:49 PM
what is your weight at and how many hours do you have between weighins and the meet? Answer those questions and we'll be able to help you more.

Andre518
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Right now I am 271lbs I do not have meet I just want to get to this weight to start really training in this class so i can do a meet once I get situated at 242lbs. Thanks for helping out.

=Travis=
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
I'd try different types of conditioning work for the weight loss aspect - sled pulling, sledge hammer/tire etc.

As far as the steam room goes, I like going in there after doing some cardio work and all but any loss of weight from that will only be temporary. As soon as you drink water, you're going to gain back what you sweated out. You can use the steam room to drop a few extra pounds before a meet if you need to, which is why Ben asked about length of time between weigh-in and meet. But the steam room is not a long term weight loss tool.

Andre518
03-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the help. I have to find a place in my area where I can do these types of exercise as of now due to my schedule I work out at Golds Gym. The only PL gym in my area is cool but I have my daughter during the day and work at night so I go to Golds because they have daycare during the day.

=Travis=
03-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Try to mix up the cardio. I'll use the treadmill sometimes but I'll get bored and do stair machines for a week, or bikes or something. Just mix it all up.

Tom Mutaffis
03-16-2009, 02:22 PM
The reason why powerlifters use a sauna / steam room is to drop water weight in order to make a specific weight class prior to a meet. By dropping water weight they are able to lose up to 15-20 lbs and quickly regain the weight before lifting.

If you are looking to drop bodyweight in general then I would add in some low intensity cardio (as to not compromise strength) and also perhaps make some dietary adjustments. You can start with 20 minutes walking on a treadmill at 3 MPH a few times per week and take things from there.

DrDudley-Robey
03-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I use them to relax and stretch after lifting. We also use them to cut weight at the last minute if needed.